Sign in to follow this  
Macflyer

FU 3 clouds

So,I installed again FU, FU2 and FU3.I bought my copies back in the 90ties but never did much with them but casual flying.But my interest in flightsimming increased a lot recently and I intend to start up all FU more regulary to take them to best use.I read about all the nice add-ons. Would love to see some screens also from the UK scenery.Last but not least: what happened to the cloud project? Is it impossible to improve them?Thanks for the heads up.

Guest fu3

I'd like to think so but I stopped my cloud development when the 1-metre terrain appeared. Maybe we need a 'Cloud workgroup' to kick it off?I am happy to contribute, but I'd like to finish what I started first (flattened airports for 1m terrain and new night lighting for Seattle).There are 2 ways to attack it:1. Improve the 'modelled' clouds by altering the models and changing textures.2. Improve the 'software' clouds by altering settings in the CFG file.I have found that having both working together is better than just the 'new' ones (software) - because the older style look better at a distance.Regards,Jon Point

Hi Jon,Quick question... have you been using LG2 for your Seattle lighting? How's it going? Suitable for general release do you think?CheersBruce H

Guest fu3

Mac,Nothing amazing really! I use an Athlon64-3000 with 1Gb ram and a cheapo ATI 9800XT video card. Worst-case (bad weather, lots of models) about 10fps. A clouds brings it to 15-18fps. In clearer weather, above 3kft and no huge swathes of models in view, 30fps+. BTW, I run all the sliders at max - except terrain detail which I currently run at 200% (twice max, so you can't see the slider...). Obviously, you should adjust your cfg settings to suit your tastes ;-)Bruce,Long time no chat! The Gmail chat thingy didn't work when I was OS at all (I think it was my PC though but I have my doubts about the Chinese service providers) :-( I have done some work with LG2 - mostly regenerating the lower levels from my edited ones. It seems to work well but I have a few patches that appear too bright, so I must investigate. I tried the generation from day maps but my existing (edited) night maps are better. Anyway, I'll finish Seattle using my hand-edited nightmaps and use LG2 for the lower levels first.Really, it's a goer I suppose - I just haven't had time to use it from the top yet. How's things in sunny Alstonville? Looks like you've missed out on our spectacularly bad weather up there. At least the dams are filling ;-) Wait until Warragamba hits 60-65% and watch them spill the water though... :-rollRegards,Jon Point

What is this 1m terrain you talk about?I recently installed FU3 on my laptop to bring with me when visiting my parent's summer place. I was surprised to find myself so immersed in the sim that I decided to install it on my desktop PC when I came home and would like to know if I'm missing anything.BTW, the terrain tweak is great. I have mine at 999. It's still smooth (miles better than FSX or even FS9) and distant terrain looks awesome, especially combined with the FU3-style haze that actually looks like haze (unlike any other sim).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP