Sign in to follow this  
Roger Over

Mayday! Mayday! I've lost my video

Hi All,I'm experiencing a little problem here that I'm hoping some kind soul might help me with.Suddenly, I've lost all the clarity in my scenery (Oz, Seattle and Sanfran) It's almost like the hi res scenery tiles are being ignored. :-hmmm I thought it was somehow related to ansitropic settings, so have tried 1023 changes to my video setup (Radeon 9250) with no difference. I have tried a zillion versions of flt3.cfg, and fiddled with the settings on the control panel.. still no good.I have reinstalled FUIII from scratch.Any thoughts? I can't think of any changes that I have deliberately made that would cause this.Cheers :-wave Bruce Hhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175977.jpg

Guest fu3

Uuuuurrm...Is your 3D renderer switched on in FU3?Region.cfg >> maps path??I've had my 3D lock out but not just go fuzzy :-(Regards,Jon Point

Thanks Jon,But no.... checked all of that. :( Another curious thing tho which I think has occurred at the same time is that Fled has stopped working (properly). When you fire it up, regardless of which region you edit, the main window displays the zoar view, and you can't do anything with it. The only way to close it is Ctl/Alt/Del and force it shut.Does that ring any bells anywhere?Again tonight I have totally reloaded FUIII, with the same problem remaining. Latest video drivers have been installed again.Grrrrr.............:-mad Cheers

Guest fu3

Reinstalled FU3?In a different spot from previous?When I had a problem (FLED just CTD'd, FU3 only worked if you didn't select an airport etc), I thought it was because I had six(!) copies of FU on my PC and that my drive renaming had gone haywire (which it had 'coz I booted the PC with the bios RAID setting switched off and Windows re-issued 8 or so drive letters). For example, I could get the Swiss region selection in a version that didn't have it. Then, the penny dropped... I'd done one complete install, and copied that over to make the different versions` - but all of them shared the same maps folder reference in their config files.I copied all but the main copy into zipfiles in another partition. No good. Deleted every reference to "Looking Glass Studios", "Flight Unlimited" and "EA Technologies" in the registry. Nada.Reinstall a fresh copy. Cr*p.Remove all registry references, reinstall on a different partition, you bewdy :-beerchugCopy the other versions back out of their zipfiles (but with the mapfile bits fixed)......Priceless :-waveNever had a problem like this with Win2K or 98SE. I have also had other 'issues' with pre-XP programs. It's possibly something about the way XP caches data. It's not NTFS.Regards,Jon Point

Hi Bruce,Thanks for the Hunter pictures :-)Too bad with you installation, very strange, no idea :-(Do you have tried running FU3 without accelerator ?Reformatting disk will not help, but can you change your graphic card ?Or can you copy the fu3 files to another computer and test again with the same files ?I do never reinstall FU3 allways just copy the full folder over the LAN or with a stick or CD/DVD.I even have a CD only version of a part of switzerland, it's running just from the cd without installation also on alien computers.I never have seen such behavier on FLED - keep finger crossed ;-)Hope you find a solution - all the best:-wave Andre

Thanks guys,I've tried most of the ideas suggested short of reformatting. I am convinced that it is a registry issue, particularly if the FLED problem is another symptom of the same problem. So I plan to get a proper uninstaller, uninstall (again), check the XP registry for entries, and install onto a different HDD if necessary.:-hmmm I noticed that the FLED problem has been reported on before, way back in the spring of '03, and was resolved as a registry issue, I'm not sure on what OS.So... watch this space.CheersBruce H:-wave

Hi Bruce,more tests:delete flt3.cfg and start fu3, a new one is then created with default settings, then start from the same folder FLED again.there is nothing in the registry, exept directX settings and graphic driver settings but no entries for FU3 only that are realy required.After setting up my new computer and for the VISTA tests also, I just copy files or put the old HD into the new computer and run FU3 and its working fine, so there was never a real installation on my current XP computer.With different version installed you have different FLED.exe copies.If you start it from a link, check the locationis your tilindex.bin OK ?use filemon.exe to see which files are opened or missing at start of fu3.look if you have a file C:WINDOWSlg.inigood luckAndre

Guest fu3

Bruce,Any joy yet? I'd like to send you the S6 but not if you're still having issues. You need to sort it so I can get you moving on the RV6 ;)Unfortunately, it sounded like reinstallation city to me :-(Regards,Jon Point

HI Jon,Yep, I ended up with a total rebuild (which was desperately needed anyway, 15 minute startups are not good :-( )The FLED issue was resolved after cleaning the registry properly, and then doing a full install.But I still have the same problem with the graphics, even after the rebuild. So I have to look a little further when I can get the time.If you could send me a copy of your flt3.cfg file it would be great, although the problem persisted even with the "out of the box" config file. Grrrrr..........:-mad Tilindex has been rebuild, I plan to regenerate all my scenery. Although I am going to try copying my existing scenery files into a virgin sanfran region and see what happens first.Watch this space..Cheers :-wave Bruce H

Hi folks,Problem solved, thanks Andre and all those who helped out.The problem was the path setting in region.cfg as suggested by Andre. In retrospect I'm not sure what happened, because I didn't start moving things around until after the problem occurred. And I had actually changed the path setting at the time. But then for some reason I commented it out *:-* (doh). I think the original problem was fixed with a complete system rebuild. Unfortunately by then I lost the artificial horizon and didn't know which way was up. :-roll So here we have approach to Gold Coast (YBCG) with reasonable scenery.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176642.jpgAnd Lismore (YLIS)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176644.jpgThanks all.....Bruce H (doh) :-wave

Guest fu3

Yay :-jumpy...and it was my first suggestion on the first post. That's OK, I'm used to being passed-over - I have teenagers :-lolRegards,Jon Point

Hi Bruce Happy to read this :-):-jumpy :-rotor :-wave Andre

Hi Guys,Again thanks for the much needed assistance.Problem is Jon, back at the first posting it was all AOK. It was only after that I started moving stuff around.How about you share the credit with Andre 50/50 :-lol Maybe now I will be able to get back to work on some stuff.Cheers.Bruce H

Guest fu3

50/50? No worries - you hear that, Andre? We'll split the cheque :-lolNo, seriously, it's great that you're back on-line. It took me a long time to get back to things after my HD/RAID disaster. In fact, I still have backup folders littered around the new HD which I clean out I get the night lights released ;)The airport flattening is another issue. I would seriously appreciate some others helping out. The reason I did all the smaller strips was because I assumed that others would be happier with just doing one of the larger strips each. Right now, I have about 20 airports done but I'm not looking forward to doing ALL of the rest*, although there's no advantage in the new elevation unless we have the entire region :-(* I was never going to do the 'extra' ones or the multitude of small sites that only exist in FU3. There are plenty of real ones to choose from (and half of these have closed since FU3's release...).Meanwhile, I've got the S6's speeds and settings sorted and I've redone the panel to put the radios on the extra view - who needs radios when gliding? Getting the engine right was a nightmare because it's a small turbocharged engine with a constant-speed prop. This means that all the throttle action is at 28.5-35.2". From 35-40"HG there is NO control. Also, because of the small engine, the 'constant speed' actually varies a lot. If one was to copy the relevant sections into the S10 flight model, you would get a more realistic response ;) Builder's tip #2242:Remove the reduction drive from the S10 flight model because it works backwards! Or not at all. Actually, it just absorbs power from the engine and prevents the S10 from meeting it's published specs, unless you set the engine power to 150HP+ :-(I know I promised a few S6 'testers' and I'll send them out this week. Anyone wanting to help out should post here, not just via direct email or nobody sees what's happening. Anyone wanting to do a livery can also have one, complete with higher-res (1024x1024) originals to work from. The existing livery is the plain factory white with D-KSIX callsign ("Motorglider Sierra India Xray") ;)Regards,Jon Point