Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

I forgot how good this was...

Guest fu3

Hmmmm.... interesting response. 30+ views, no comments (here) but a few emails* and 4 requests via email for a download!Truth is, I didn't post it for a response, and the aircraft is purely incidental - that 45 minute flight was special because of the weather. I was so chuffed after landing that had to share it. I know that many long-term users of FU3 hang in there because of the weather. The clouds mightn't be as pretty as MSFS but they can be brutal to fly through ;-)As a 'student' pilot it gives me an insight into weather that I wouldn't fly in real life. At least, not on purpose :-eekAs to the download, I'm not holding out - it has NO cockpit yet. If you're interested in helping to test it, let me know. Otherwise, it'll be a couple of weeks :-wave* I said I'd answer here. No, I don't build planes to order - no matter what it looks like. Nobody asked for it. Nobody pays me. I do it because its easy and fun. I never worked for EA or LGS either. If you want a repaint, DO one!If ya wanna do something, do it! Regards,Jon Point

Guest Seadog

Lovely, simply lovely. Sharing is its own reward, is it not?It's like sending a postcard to a mate, knowing it will be appreciated.It was.-Seadog

Guest fu3

Thanks Seadog :-waveI just don't understand why some people never post here. The 30+ views meant that people saw it, but only 1 email was from someone I know *:-*I wonder though, if some of these people are using shared PCs and cannot alter the cookie settings to post stuff? Either way, as you said, it was more like sending a postcard and you don't expect replies to postcards, eh?It would be real nice if people would go back to posting shots though as we don't share enough of what we enjoy. In that little plane, bouncing around in the turbulence with the rain pelting against the windshield, at once I felt very alone, but at the same time knew (or at least thought) that somewhere in the world, another FU3 user was doing similar.Funny, after landing at Bergseth, I taxiied to the FBO and shut the engine down. Now, this is a simulator after all, but I just sat in the cockpit for 5 minutes, listening to the rain and wondering if it would let up long enough for me to go inside, get a coffee and stand by the fire (all my FBOs have fireplaces in them :-lol ).After sharing THAT, y'all probably think I'm crazy ;-)Regards,Jon Point

Jon,I haven't loaded FU3 in several months (you can blame my infatuation with GT Legends for that), but I'm keen to correct that in the near future. Bearing that in mind, please check your e-mail ;-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I was certainly among those who looked at picture and failed to post a reply. Well, it's time. We need to be reminded of the atmosphere of this old sim every now and then. There's still no other sim available that gives us the weather in a realistic and immersive way. I like yo set up dawn and dusk flights too, just as you did. More recent sims are better in some respects but the weather "engine" of FU3 stays unrivaled. One thing that does annoy me a bit is that piston aircraft don't seem to require leaning of the mixture in FU3. In fact, any piston aircraft may fly to any altitude and the only thing leaning does is to limit the power -- at any altitude! Apart from this sad glitch in proper GA simulation this sim remains to be one of the best. The way the aircraft interacts with the air flow in any kind of weather is quite convincing and the simulation of challenging weather conditions is breathtaking. With deteriorating weather we get "bumps in the air" just as in real life. Other sims provide horrendous gyres when the weather goes "big" and no bumps. Then there's the ground model. FU3 planes have a proper ground model with wheels that resist sideways movement. If we land with a sideslip or fail to align the wheels we learn what that does to an aircraft. It's quite amazing that other sims fail to implement a proper ground model even ten years after Looking Glass got it right.

HI Jon,I would have replied earlier, but my 'pewter stalled, crashed and burned, and I am still salvaging it. Technology, sigh........:( Thought I'd better tap in from work and see what's happening.But it's great work, and a great shot. The Stemme looks great, weather realistically ugly, even the night lights look good (If I am allowed to say so).Crazy? Well, maybe borderline. Don't tell anyone but occasionally I turn out the lights and fly in the dark :-lol . Problem is I can't find the bleeding keyboard. My wife walks past shaking her head and mumbling something under her breath. I'm sure it's something positive tho.I wonder if I could get a copy of your flt3.cfg file? My one is cr*p I'm sure.See you,Bruce H

Guest fu3

Yes, that's an edited section of night lights. There's only a few islands of light left now ;-) Of course, I started ONLY doing the worst parts - now I've had to do the entire lot 'coz I kept finding beach parties* everywhere. * Groups of night lights adorning sandy riverbanks and beaches. The satellite went crazy on these, like the fields. Now I've sent them packing, our riverbanks and beaches are free for us flighty folk to enjoy!Here's my cfg file. You'd best edit the starting airport, unless you have Lewis Valley in there ;-) The weather file (zip) is there as well.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176346.txt:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest CaptRolo

Jon; A stunning view I must say ,I have been working too many hours to keep cup with forum as I would like to.The weather in FU3 is still facinating to me .I have a Samsung 20inch LCD and one thing that I don't like is that at night flights,the screen doesn't go completely black because of the back lighting.CaptRolo

Guest Pieter

Guilty as charged! I still linger in here reading a lot, but seldom reply. Just for old time's sake. However, as it is with all of us oldies I presume - one word: 8-5 workload...As well, FU3 is so "long-in-the-tooth" that I rarely load it anymore. I know FSX will never be the same as when it all started with FU, FU2 and finally FU3 - the anticipation during waiting reading every tidbit of posting and speculations. The purchase, the disappointment, the downloading of the fixed software. Then the next version... all over again :-)Yes every experience is still hidden in there somewhere as you showed. However, one could duplicate that effect in FSX in the blink of the eye, I know, I know - still not FU3, but nonetheless. The newer times are here!I just sort of wish that we can have this cool-and-calm discussion list for people like these here in this forum; for "us" just doing simulation for the fun it is than try to start a new and flaming discussion in the FSX forums :-vuur (refer to the way the guy was treated who wanted the whole FU2 CD e-mailed in chunks of a gigabyte in less than 5 min ;-), let that request be tried elsewhere, he-he). Yes, I would really like to see if we could all (in this forum) have a brand new PC that can do its thing with the resource hungry FSX and then try and do the things and aircraft/cockpit development that actually make FU3 still alive and well in here.RegardsPieter:-abduct

Hello.yes, I'll also make a note for the screenshot, it is brilliant. We are living in 2007. but I have still not seen a simulator doing it better for the right feeling of enviroment of flight.I am the manager for my company, and this takes a lot of my time. I do not have mutch time for computer flying and make updates, but the fu series is a favorite.The FU simulator is amasing.Best regards.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest fu3

Hi Folks :-waveIts great to see that many of us are still here. After seeing the forum go very quiet sometimes (and I'm as guilty as anyone), I wondered how alone I really was that night? I have tinkered with MSFS but I haven't done anything useful, aircraft-wise. There are simply too many weird flight models out there :-lol This is not an "MSFS bash", I realise how hard it must be to get realistic results from lookup tables. I also fully accept the fact that FU3's flight model may appear too simple but it works very well for smaller aircraft. And I like the atmosphere, to be honest ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/176473.jpgRegards,Jon Point