Sign in to follow this  
agtim

AN-2 on the way, first as static model

Guest fu3

Andre, that's really nice ;)I don't know if you are using it, but try "phong" shading in BSP. It really makes a difference and smoothes the curves nicely.Before cleaning-up (e.g. straight out of Anim8or):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177921.jpgAfter cleaning-up:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177922.jpgDon't use "phong" for transparent items (i.e. "special") or semi-transparent items (i.e. glass) as it does weird things when you look through it at certain angles. Use "flat" instead. Default is "flat", so if you don't edit the Anim8or output, you always get "flat" - BSP just ignores the "ows_NT".PS The "illum" in the unedited one does work - it makes the texture 'internally lit' to a degree. Good for making it stand out (which I didn't need here but I used on the GeeBee to make the red a bit richer). Unfortunately, "shininess" doesn't work in BSP, neither do any of the other 3DS texture functions :-(PPS The above advice works just as well for flyable, FLED or AI models. It also works with clouds too i.e. don't use "phong" on cloud models. I didn't get very far with the clouds but I did find THAT one out!:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

Cool :-kewlCouldn't imagine that rego on any US or UK aircraft, except maybe in an Austin Powers movie :-lolSorry, blame it on the influence of teenagers. I should use more "decorum in de forum..."Regards,Jon Point

Guest CaptRolo

WOW looks really good Amazing . Thanks CaptRolo

There's a red one in Stavanger, Norway that is used for taking sky divers up. The An-2 is being used as a crop duster in some countries. Cuba is one country that comes to mind. It makes sense that countries with ties to Russia uses this Russian plane. Hans Petter

Guest fu3

I've never seen one in Australia but there IS one (VH-CCE) registered to a Queensland real estate company. I had trouble finding it because I was searching under "Antonov". Bogdan, this one appears to have built in Poland (Mielec) ;)"Power Driven Aeroplane with tailwheel-fixed landing gearSingle Piston engineManufacturer: WYTWORNIA SPRZETU KOMUNIKACYJNEGO-MIELECModel: AN-2TPSerial number: 1G234-09Aircraft first registered in Australia: 22 July 1998":-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

Andre,Its great to see it flying ;)Let me know if you need any help with anything :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Thanks Jon,actually I have ruder and elevator axles ok. Had to fight with BSP bailing... and concave vertices.I don't know where the definition of the axle to function is set.So i just try and hope :-) looking at the Goose files of Markus Brunner.AN-2 does not retract wheels, so I will change the .res and start with the beaver having no wheel lever. Now the plane attitude is wrong on the ground and the plane is damaged when a push the G key :-)For the flaps I will need 4 axles 2 on the upper wings and 2 for the lower wings. Hope 4 values for the flaps are available.Propeller is Ok.Regards:-wave Andre

Guest fu3

Andre,OK, axles are OK although I was spooked by them for a while. Truth is, there are some combinations and things that don't work but don't worry, there are few things that are impossible ;)First read about the axle nomenclature in the White Papers.Axle files:The axle file is a 22 byte file in the aircraft resfile. Unlike other files, this one is always 22 bytes! In the Staggerwing, it's file #97. In the Bravo, it's #101. There are 2 axle files actually (another for the cockpit but only for sticks and pedals) but you only need the 22 byte one. You can either accept the existing axle numbers or create your own. With the S6, the flaperons required a new file:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178273.jpgExplanation:Each pair describes an "axle", or moving part e.g. 02 05- The first number is the number of pieces of this type (02)- The second number is the number of the first axle in a group (05)- The examples above show that there are 2 axles for elevators, starting at 05 (i.e. @s05xxxx and @s06xxxx)- Note leading zeroes as axles are numbered in hexadecimal e.g. axle #10 is 0a, #17 is 11 etc- The order of axle positions in the hexfile must not be changed from below!1 - elevators 2 - rudder3 - aileron4 - flaps5 - landing gear6 - propeller7 - strings8 - smoke9 - reverse thrusters10 - dome11

Hey Jon, from where do you get all this info ! Great thanks a lot :-)Yes BSP don't like cutting of moving parts. I had the problem with rudder and elevator. Solution was just to set the angle to 00BEGIN *@x03FI0000"POINTS{-405.160004,0.000000,73.953003;-405.190002,0.000000,250.630005;}BEGIN *@x01RE0000"POINTS{-388.380005,-186.699997,153.130005;-388.380005,0.015630,153.130005;}then BSP was ok - with warnings...@x03FI0505 and @x01RE0808 created a BSP bailing...In FU3 there was no visual difference between 0000 and 0505 ?!?In Markus Brunner's files there was all axles set to 0000 and the Goose looks still fine.Using GMax -> MD3 export -> 3D-Exploration -> Anim8or -> 3ds2E it's a long way after graphical modifications. I must define the axles as triangle to keep it over the MD3 process and at the end all @ are changed to _. I have to delete the 3. point of the triangle and the PARTS{ , PART_MAPPINGS{ ... this make a lot of edit work in the E-file but it's working and now with your help I can setup more flaps :-)too bad that the smoke is not working.When you rename @sxxxx to asxxxx will it still be an axle in the .bin ?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178274.jpg:-wave Andre

Guest fu3

Andre,Where did I get this? Some from Ansgar, some from Markus' GeeBee (which I finished) and a lot from the beechjet and renegade build scripts from LGS. "When you rename @sxxxx to asxxxx will it still be an axle in the .bin ?"Yes, the axle stays there. BSP takes subobject names ("@sXXXX") and searches for the axle. If it finds no axle, you get an error :-( If however the subobject is renamed to something else (i.e. no "@"), then BSP ignores the axle ;)"Using GMax -> MD3 export -> 3D-Exploration -> Anim8or -> 3ds2E "Wow - that's a lot of conversions! Why not just alternate between Anim8or and n3ds2e/bsp? Or are you importing a 3DS file into Anim8or? Once you convert to 3DS, the axles fall apart :-( They are still there in Anim8or though - just locate one of the points of any axle (in point view) then use the connector tool to connect it to the other point. It won't connect to anything else, so you can find the other point by waving it around and seeing if it sticks to something ;)Sounds like you're having fun :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Hi Jon, thanks for info.mostly I start from a prebuilt mdl file and rebuilt it into small parts using GMax. I find it rather difficult to create and manipulate polygons in Anim8or but the texture setting and the mirror build of parts is much better in Anim8or, so I start with Gmax and finish by importing the 3ds file into Anim8or. Later parts as pilots, cockpit ... are designed again in Gmax but only the object is extracted and placed in the e-file. This was working fine for the static models.Aaa I forgot the Renegade is existing as project also, must be on my drive or CD. ;-) now up to the next steps... :-):-wave Andre