Sign in to follow this  

Ansiotropic, Dithering and Smoothvision are they a con?

Hi girls,it's Mom again with 2 questions. OK down and dirty! Question #1.) How in the "H" does one know what setting level is right for Ansiotropic, Dithering, and Smoothvison for D3D? Are they needed at all? I fly MSFS2002 PERIOD! I can not figure out or find any understandable info on these 3 settings and I'm wondering if I am just urinating in the wind trying to seek out "correct" settings for them. Question #2.) This next issue gives me hives! Here goes: If you set up AA or a double or triple filtering level in your Windows/Setup/Display/Advanced/etc graphics card settings, (here it comes guys).... Do you ALSO, (repeat), also-also-also check the boxes for AA and double or triple filtering in MSFS2002? If I should, what selection should I make in MSFS2002's Options/display/hardware?I mean which application rules? The graphics card setup tweaks or the selections made in MSFS2002 itself? Or both?Thank you and I owe you a 6 Pack if you can straighten this out for me.Kosmo007Kmco

A 6 pack of what??I think someone is going to ask you to list your system specifications??

it is what boys have up there shirts i am told :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxx

My specs are:2 ghz AthlonATI Radeon 8500 dual 64 meg graphics card.512 DDR RamOS WinXPKosmo007

Anisotropic works like this: The higher the setting, the better the qyality. But increasing the setting also causes the framerate to drop. See which setting looks good, but still doesn't kill the FPS.Bilinear and Trilinear filtering has nothing to do with FSAA. It's a setting related to mipmaps. Trilinear looks better but it's slower, and the difference in quality isn't that big. On the Radeon 8500, because of a hardware limitation, when you enable any Aniostropic, the card automatically switches to bilinear, no matter what setting you select in the control panel.If you use the control panel to force a particular FSAA mode, you should uncheck the box for FSAA within the FS2002 program.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Pah!Just a six pack???I've got a whole barrel up mine.;-)Take care,Ian

Guest Stamatis

"If you use the control panel to force a particular FSAA mode, you should uncheck the box for FSAA within the FS2002 program."My personal experience does not agree with the above suggestion.In my particular setup, it seems that any setting set via a desktop utility, overrides the settings in FS2002 Settings-Display menus.Stamatis

To Stamitis and Jimmig....case in point!See this is what I mean. There is no agreement on which setting rules (the graphics card via WinX or the MSFS2002 settings.) The truth is no matter what settings I select I actually see no real clear difference to speak of - and that is why I'm wondering if these settings really work or are they simply a scam for lack of a better adjective. Someone must know the answer to my original question for absolute 100% certainty. Help!Joe

You're just gonna have to experiment. Every system is different. For example, when I uncheck T&L in the FS2002 settings, I get a noticeable boost in framerates; but I still got T&L working in the sim. My theory is that my video card is now taking on that responsibility relieving my little PIII800 to do some other work. Another example, at least on my system is trilinear filtering vs anistropic filtering. I get better results with trilinearing filtering. Anistropic filtering just doesn't do anything for me. But that's most likely an issue of drivers rather than anything else as I'm using old drivers. Another example is that I run FSAA full on on my GTS64 card with the box checked in FS2002 also. I uncheck that box or turn down my FSAA slider in the video card setup and I see noticeable jaggies. With both the box checked and FSAA full on in the video card settings, no jaggies. Nice crisp clear picture. A slight hit on frames but nothing major. Try one thing at a time and remember what you changed. You'll eventually get to the best overall setup for your system. What someone else tells you to do here may work better or may not work better. Experiment.

Guest Stamatis

What utility do you use to control the video card settings?Stamatis

Hi Stamatis,I use, with most success the graphics set up that comes with the ATI Radeon card or their updates from the ATI Radeon site. That is what I am using today as we speak. However, when I wrote and initiated this forum thread the other day I was using the "Tweaker" found on the Omega Site along with the "Omega Platnum Drivers". With these drivers and tweak uitlity the number of choices for tweaks boggle the mind. It was so confusing to me I uninstalled the Omega stuff and went back to the latest vefsion of drivers from ATI! I would like to reinstall the Omega Platnum drivers and the Omega Tweaker (at least it comes from their site) but until I understand fully the issue discussed herein I am afraid to experiement as itbuggers up my system and seems to slow it down.My latest ptoblem is I seem to get a lot of "bubbling" or "fluttering" around the ground and trees as I fly around, of late, and it seems to have gotten worse or maybe it is the same as always but I never noticed it was quite so bad before. I can't seem to make the fluttering settle down no matt3er what I setting I try to tweak.Joe