Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Saitek yoke

A long time ago I received the correct argument lines to make FU3 recognize my stick and rudder pedal set-up. Since I just bought a Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant I'd like to make this combo work. My first test revealed that most (maybe all) axes are being read but they don't effect the right things. My yoke turned into a throttle, my throttle lever was read as rudder and so on.If nobody else has figured out a list that works I'll try different numbers for the axes and see if I can make this work. It's CH rudder pedals with toe brakes (works fine with FU3 and a basic stick) and a Saitek yoke with a throttle quadrant with the three usual levers: throttle, mixture and propeller pitch. I'm prepared to do without the mixture lever in FU3 and I'll sacrifice the prop pitch too if that's what it takes.Hans Petter

Guest fu3

H-P,I am not familiar with the Saitek setup - but I want one. They're cheaper than CH here in Oz and I'm getting tired of my old kakky setup. My timber pedals are disintegrating under the desk and my non-USB yoke often gets exchanged for the pedals after playing other games. You know the problem, yoke is a throttle etc :-lolWhen you sort it please let me know. I've put a request in for a Saitek yoke/quadrant/pedal setup for the Christmas stocking. After all, the kids get $400 video players and new phones, it's about time the Master of the house got what he wants! Good to hear from you :-waveRegards,Jon Point

To get anywhere I need to understand the FU3 commands for joystick(s) set-up. This is what works for a stick and rudder:; joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 3toe_brakes_device 1 1 2When I run this with the CH pedals, the Saitek yoke and its throttle quadrant this is what I get:Left rudder throttles upRight rudder throttles downLeft toe brake moves the aileronsRight toe brake moves the elevatorThe throttle of the throttle quadrant moves the rudderThe important part here is that the yoke itself effects nothing. This goes for the mixture and the prop levers too but since the throttle does something that piece of hardware is being recognized. In order to swap the assignments around I have to start by getting the entire rig recognized.I assume that the yoke is a third joystick. Provided "joy_device 2" means that there are two "joysticks" I'm one short. If so, that line should read "joy_device 3". But then, the lines listed above says nothing about the stick/yoke. One might assume that the stick/yoke is taken for granted. Another way to interpret this is that "joy_device 2" means that the stick is device # 2. If so, my rudder pedals have become the stick/yoke and the throttle quadrant has become the rudder. Actually, thinking as I type that's what it is :-) That brings us back to the unrecognized yoke -- I need to add a third controller. Then, when all three parts (yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals) effect something I can start reassigning the axes.

Guest fu3

Does the Saitek come with any management software? My pedals are actually an old MS Sidewinder stick, pulled apart and built-in to the pedals. I used the MS software that came with it to program it to do what I want (+ 6 buttons and a hat switch which I can program to emulate key presses - hence the toebrakes etc). It seems to only work as joy_device1 though but I thought that was due to using a USB and analog sticks together (my CH yoke is analog). With analog sticks, there are normally only 4 pots available across 2 sticks (per port). As I am using yoke, throttle and pedals, that's all 4. Problem is, 3 are on the yoke and one is on the USB (pedals). It never seems to recognise the pedals at all unless they are joy_device1. There is one more pot in the Sidewinder but I cannot use it - or the PC then refuses to recognise the yoke! I was hoping that the Saitek setup would come with some form of software to allow remapping so I don't have to have a weird setup just for FU3. If I don't unplug the yoke & pedals and try to run another game, the pedals are the only thing that works, which makes steering (backwards, with your feet...) pretty weird. Pretty good for sailing though, as it leaves your hands free for adjusting sheets and operating the views via the keyboard.And yes, I do use my yoke as a steering wheel ;)I never tried joy_device3...Regards,Jon Point

The "management software" is a set of drivers and a calibration utility. What we would need is a joystick assignment screen inside FU3. MS FS recognizes any yoke and pedals that are plugged in before Windows starts and before FS launches. Then you'll need to assign and reassign axes and buttons until everything does what you want it to do. It goes like "press the key / move the lever you want to assign for this function" and it all lines up. Axes may be checked/ticked for reverse if required.For FU3 the best we can do is to set up a list in the flight3.cfg that makes sense. That's why I focus on understanding the commands that work for stick and rudder.My controllers are all USB by the way.

Guest Robs

Hi all,I have a Saitek X52 Joystick Throttle and Rudder pedals which I am sure are similar to your yoke.It took me ages to figure out the correct settingsI post them here to save others the hassle and for you to try in case it is the same setup (I am confident it will be)If it isn't then you'll have to experiment like me until you get it right!This text goes in your flt3.cfg file (edit with notepad); joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 6toe_brakes_device 1 1 2 The rudder is on axis 6. The reason for this seems to be that the Joystick and throttle are joy 2 and have many axes and the twist axis (used for rudder if you don't have pedals) on the joystick is axis 6. So I figured it must also be axis 6 on the rudder pedals (joy 1) and it works. This sorts out all of your primary controls. I haven't flown FU3 for ages because I couldn't get this to work!I hope this allows other users to fly.Robs.