Sign in to follow this  
Roger Over

Problem with removing airports and FLED etc...

Hi Folks,Just wondering if someone can help me out here before I start pulling things to bits again....:-roll I was building a new airport, didn't do anything different (I think). Very simple, with only one runway. When I tried a test flight, FU CTD'd at AI startup.I had a look at the airport in FLED, and all seemed OK.I deleted the airport from the airport folder, and FU starts OK, but when I start FLED and get within the vicinity of the aforesaid offending airport, I get the FLED "Yo! No airport" message.:-hmmmPressing on, I can recreate the airport, but FU still crashes.Any ideas?There must be a better way of permanently deleting airports other than just deleting the folder?Cheers,Bruce H :-zhelp

Guest fu3

Bruce,Did you do this in a package? One of my pet hates is getting packages from others and having that "xxxx not found, killing it" message.It happens with nearly every airport I edit nowadays. My Spada Lake package asks for "WAT", whatever that is. Must be something RobD created, as I started with his old Forest Falls package :-rollFLED must store this stuff somewhere. Andre, do you have any ideas on this? My Bandera package complains about "0YOO" as well ;) I know I removed it, but hey!Regards,Jon Point

Hi FLED workers :-)One place of an airport is the package folder or the airport folderThe second is the blue square set in FLED and defining the elevation of the airport used from the AI planes. Models position are retained in the .mod files of the package.If you don't use package then models are stored in the mod folder and shared with models outside the airport also or even multiple airports, just depending on the tile hosting it.To delete an airport1. used FLED and delete the blue square, select it and use DEL key2. remove Package folder and entry in the AI plan if any.If you can't do this because of CTD... so use my FLEDViewer you can delete (uncheck) single items and save the resultsItems in underground can't be accessed with FLED, for this you must use FLEDViewer or delete the full .mod file.hope this help, good luck:-waveAndre

Guest CaptRolo

Yes Andre I ageee ,and unless making one for San Fran region ,ALL others must start in seattle region including outter terrain.I usually make airport by LAT and LONG from real maps.set blue square and name it .place runways Save work,Then work on taxi way ,parking ,other ai , TEST , SAVE work,IF you first made a package to do this ,then should be able to delete all as if it wasn;t there ,If you make airport without package ,It is more a part of FU3 root program. Makes it more difficult to remove.Also store airport in fled to go back to .Finally make another package to add other stuff like buildings,cars,boats,trees,as an addon . I placed Victoria airport and a few hangars ,tower,and thats it .actual place is not flat so moved it a few miles inland .Just another airport to fly to. as of now Basic and unfinishedCaptRolo

Thanks guys,The offending airport isn't part of a package.I can remove the runways by using DEL, but when I try to delete the blue square, I get a message telling me I "cannot delete a centre marker" Grrrrrr...:-mad There are no models associated with the airport. Neither is there any AI. In fact at the moment there is no AI in the entire region.It seems the only way to get rid of it is to delete the folder.Cheers,:-wave Bruce H

Bruce, you must use FLEDViewer to delete the blue marker.:-waveAndre

Hi Andre,Yes, that got rid of it. Thanks..I was able to recreate the airport OK. I did notice that the runway crosses a tile boundary. Is that likely to cause a problem?Cheers, :-wave Bruce H

Guest fu3

Bruce,Only if you drag a model across it, like a runway or tree. As long as the model anchor is not sitting right on it*, you should be OK.* This can cause the model to disappear entirely in FLED, but still appear (in the wrong place) in FU3 :-( Or peek out from under a tile edge. In that case, use Fledviewer to remove it! BTW, thanks Andre - this program has been invaluable with the flattening, as some models disappear entirely!Speaking about flattening, I got a move-on with the flattening tonight - Shady Acres, Spanaway & McChord WITH packages updated. The trick is to do an overlay on an L3 tile at 1024x1024, then resize with no AA, copy and paste. This gets it really accurate first time ;)Regards,Jon Point

Jon,You can modify the height value of any objects in FledViewer too.just open the item and click on the first z-value of it, modify the value and hit Enter key, save the file thats all.This way you can lift object underground or put the corner of a larger object partially into ground in hilly area.:-waveAndre

Hi Guys,Thanks again. If the runway crosses a tile boundary, but the end point doesn't sit on the boundary, is that OK?Or is Coffs Harbour in deep trouble with a short runway? You're OK Jon, it will still be long enough to get the S6 in with no trouble.:-hah Cheers Bruce H:-wave

Bruce, this is OK, just don't put a color square on the border.There are many LG original airports sharing 2 tiles.a runway on 2 tiles is registered in 2 mod files with a special flag.you can see that with FLEDViewer.Avoid putting small objects on tile border.good luck:-waveAndre

Bruce,Did you create a new package first before starting to build your airport ?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Chris,No, I haven't started a package. These will all be base airports for the region, and for the moment at least there will be no models, AI etc.I think I am going to need an eXpert to do that tricky stuff.Have I done the wrong thing?Cheers :-wave Bruce H

It's been a while since I messed around with FLED, but I have ALWAYS created a new package for each airfield or scenery area that I have added to the FU3 world. This keeps everything separate from the default model database.As for adding AI planes, let me know if you need any help.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks Chris,I'm not quite ready for AI yet, but will certainly keep your offer in mind.Cheers,Bruce H:-wave