Sign in to follow this  
Guest RAF_Chalky

Guest RAF_Chalky

Hi Chaps,I've just purchased Flight Unlimited3 from my local store, for the princely sum of 4.99GBP, and I think that was a snip! Considering it's a jolly good flight sim. Especially the ATC comms.:-hahI'm setting up my X45 key bindings and so on at the moment.Having trolled the various sites for info on the game, I drew a blank. As most of them appear to be inactive or closed.:(Anyway, not to be deterred I eventually discovered this one.:-sun1Any help and advice would be most appreciated. ;) Cheers,John:-newbie :-wave

Guest fu3

John,Yes, this is THE one! There are a few others around but if you have a specific question, this is the best place to ask it ;)"Never have so many done so much with a sim that costs so little":-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest RAF_Chalky

Hi Jon,Thanks for the quick reply.OK, for a kick-off...When I took a look at the AI aircraft (Windhawk and Piper Arrow) I didn't see the prop turning as with the 172? I appreciate It's only a small point. Thought I'd turn on the '3D Acceleration' setting under the 'Graphics' Options, thinking this maybe the reason why. But, this had the effect of causing the panel in the 172 to twitch, not what I wanted at all! Most of the other setting are just fine. With fps are around the sixty mark, and the vid res of 1024 x 768 which makes the game run smoothly. That's not to say when I try flying in a thunderstorm things may get a tad trickier.;) I've sorted key bindings for my X52 to my liking, but I'll most probably change them later... that's just me! Always tinkering.Anyway, I'll leave you with these queries for now.Cheers,John:-wave PS. All I have to do now is find the time to play FU3!!!

Guest CaptRolo

Welcome aboard John;The AI aircraft only have landing gear up or down ,no other moving parts.With ATC and ground controllers still makes it interesting . You'll get familiar with Sim and then there are tons of addons ,so much so that we sometimes refer to it as FU4.CaptRolo

John,The best piece of advice that I could give you would be to get yourself a copy of Flight Unlimited II. You can use the San Francisco scenery region in FU3. Unfortunately, you would have to install everything again, but IT'S WORTH IT ! IMO, the San Francisco scenery is better than the Seattle region, and you would also be able to install a little upgrade package that Jon Point and I developed (SanFran 2006; you can find it in the FU3 file library here at AVSIM) :-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest RAF_Chalky

Hi CaptRolo,Thanks for the info re. AI aircraft... I'm glad It wasn't my graphic settings.;)Cheers,John

Guest RAF_Chalky

>John,>>The best piece of advice that I could give you would be to get>yourself a copy of Flight Unlimited II. You can use the San>Francisco scenery region in FU3. Unfortunately, you would have>to install everything again, but IT'S WORTH IT ! IMO, the San>Francisco scenery is better than the Seattle region, and you>would also be able to install a little upgrade package that>Jon Point and I developed (SanFran 2006; you can find it in>the FU3 file library here at AVSIM) :-)Hi Chris,I've had a quick gander, and found a secondhand copy of FU2, so I'll do as you suggest.Not too sure just how I go about finding your SanFran 2006 upgrade package here on AVSIM, but I'll give It a go!Many thanks gents,:-waveJohn

Guest RAF_Chalky

Chris,Just D/L'd your SanFran 2006 upgrades, three in all. I'm about to install them now! :-wave

John,I also have a Seattle 2005 upgrade pack in the file library, but you need to be a bit more careful when you are installing that one. There is an "airport icon limit" that affects the Seattle region, and you have to be aware of that if you want to avoid any nasty CTDs.Do you have the outer terrain scenery installed ?EDIT: Actually, I have upgraded the package a bit since then, so I could send you a copy of Seattle 2006 via e-mail if you're interested.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest RAF_Chalky

>John,>>I also have a Seattle 2005 upgrade pack in the file library,>but you need to be a bit more careful when you are installing>that one. There is an "airport icon limit" that affects the>Seattle region, and you have to be aware of that if you want>to avoid any nasty CTDs.>>Do you have the outer terrain scenery installed ?>>EDIT: Actually, I have upgraded the package a bit since then,>so I could send you a copy of Seattle 2006 via e-mail if>you're interested.I'd be pleased to accept your kind offer Chris thanks, but truth be told I'm finding It difficult enough with the SanFran 2006 upgrade package to be honest! Must admit, I'm 'NOT' a PC guru by any stretch of the imagination.;) Here's my e-mail: john.cunningham662@ntlworld.comJohn :-wavePS. Could you possibly suggest a suitable training airfield for an ab initio FU3'er.:-hmmm

John,SanFran 2006 is relatively easy to install. Just follow the instructions in the SanFran 2006.txt file, and everything should be fine. If you need any help, please feel free to ask :-)I need to split Seattle 2006 into at least two pieces to send it via e-mail (don't worry, I have a nice little utility that does this effortlessly), unless you can accept single files of up to 25MB in size. The package is quite large because it includes a modified version of the Seattle geotiles.tag file (the terrain mesh data), since I flattened the Coupeville NOLF airfield, and then upgraded it to tower controlled status :-)As for your question regarding a suitable training airfield, that depends on what you're looking for. If you simply want to practice take offs and landings, then the default version of Coupeville NOLF is probably best, since the runway is enormous for a small plane (5000 feet long and 150 feet wide), and you wouldn't have to worry about ATC.However, installing Seattle 2006 would effectively change that !

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

John,It's probably worth pointing out here that you need to create a PACKAGES folder in your main FLIGHT3 folder before installing SanFran 2006 and Seattle 2006.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest RAF_Chalky

Chris,Ah... yes I created one during the installation as the readme file said " Copy the contents of the PACKAGES folder to your FLIGHT3/PACKAGES folder. If you do not have a PACKAGES folder, then create one." I think I maybe trying to run before I can walk here a tad. I installed the three upgrade packs, and not having been familiar with the various airports before, wasn't too sure If the upgrade had in fact worked? So I popped in to Half Moon Bay to see If the Unicom controlled field now had tower control? Sadly It was still Unicom. So It would appear my attempt at the upgrade failed! Also tried to find Hamilton AFB on the map, and It was missing.Here's the way I installed the game originally:Installed FU3 (full install, two pilot voices, outer terrain/large, challenges, lessons)--------------------Full install Sanfrancisco scenery from FU2 disc's--------------------Installed FU3Patch.exe from the original (Sold Out disc)I've carried out a complete re-install by the way! So I'm now back to square one.Sorry for the c**k-up, but the old grey matter isn't what It once was. At 65 that's mt excuse anyway.

Guest RAF_Chalky

Chris,I think I'll fly from LVK Livermore for my circuit & bumps training by the way!;-)

Guest fu3 kid

ok ive got a problem as well.i use a joystick but its suddenly stopped working, even with the command "jou_device1" and "joy_device0"it doesnty even work when i put the command straight into the config fileany1 got any ideas?reply soon