Sign in to follow this  
agtim

Incompatible texture in models

Comparing some planes I found planes with incompatible texture files.ResViewer and Cockpit Designer can't open it and the hex values looks strange. These is for all planes designed by Steve Hess having name with SCH.FU3 itself can display the texture in the game but not the tools.I am starting modification to Gideon's ResViewer and wanted to support this graphic format but no idea what it is. Can somebody help ?I have compared a small graphic with GIF, BMP and TGA compression also.By the way, to compare planes with ResViewer I made a first modification to it, so from now it can be opened not only once. But caution when using multiple instances of it, it's waise to create multiple workfolder with own exe for each to avoid file open conflicts. Also use multiple instances just for read and view not for update actions to stay secure.I will not upload it now, first put more functions on it.Copy on request will be mailed.:-waveAndre

Guest fu3

Andre,I noticed this once. Either they're watermarked or they might be DTX BMPs?I like the idea of multiple Resviewers too ;)Regards,Jon Point

If I remember correctly the cockpit images were ported from an FS model (with permission). I still cherish Steve's Cessna. Too bad he seems to have left. Anyway, the FS source may be a clue to what kind of image format we're dealing with and DTX is a very common one. Still, I find it strange that FU3 reads a "foreign" format while the tools do not.

Guest fu3

Watermarks?I used CPD to make the Dash-8 cockpit, but it cannot be edited :-( At some stage after completing it (but before upload), I used Resviewer to import some final internal views and ever since that, it won't open in CPD. I cannot create a new project either :-(Heinz (TFT) was going to play with it for me but we couldn't 'unlock' it.The reason I suggested watermarks is, the images I used for the internal views were from an MSFS Dash-8 aircraft (used with permission from Dan Port of course!) and I would not be surprised if they were watermarked, or something weird. You see, my old Photopaint V9 is a wonderful piece of kit, but it doesn't know about DTX. Sometimes it works, sometimes I have to use a utility to convert them (when there's no palette). This means that I could have opened, cropped, shaded and resaved the images with the watermarks intact - without even knowing! Maybe this is why? PS When I tried to extract some bitmaps from an SCH Beaver, MWGFX reported them as 2048x2048 bitmaps!! Unfortunately, they were black. All black. So, they're not DTXs. The SCH Baron 58 seems fine ??!?Sometimes, ignorance is NOT bliss :-rollRegards,Jon Point

Hi All - the mystery is cleared now :-)I have found an old post in this forum covering this problem.It's just the name of the res file. All planes of Steven Hess have a blank in the name and just this is the problem.Rename the res file, remove the blank between SCH and the name and all is working as usual. The reason for working under FU3 but not with the tools is the used PKZIP DOS utility inside the tools to compress/decompress the subfiles.PKZIP don't like blank in the path and too long paths also.I just had a contact with Gideon, he suggested to modify the tools using new inbuilt ZIP DLLs. May be I do it later. Until it's done caution with the file names and path names using the tools ResViewer and Cockpit Designer.:-waveAndre

Guest fu3

NO, but it at least tells me that the basic resfile IS trashed - in some way that allows FU3 and Resviewer to work with it but not CPD. It's probably a CPD error anyway. I cannot copy the cockpit files using Resviewer :-(*** Note to all aircraft designers - keep ALL of your backups of resfiles that WORK. At least until you know that everything is fine. We can create scripts to rebuild aircraft in Resviewer, but it doesn't allow NEW files to be imported (yet) and hexfiles must remain the same length, which is a pain :-( ***In this case, it was Heinz Reiter (TFT) that pointed out to me that the cockpit couldn't be edited - probably 3-4 months down the track, and after I'd deleted THE backup that I shouldn't have :-( Then, I tried opening previous ones and realised that it wouldn't work. The only thing I did was use Resviewer to import some internal cockpit views. After that, nada :-(Regardless, it's a project that occasionally gets somewhere - I have a couple of Windhawks, with all the Dash-8 files loaded, including flight model. Flies, sounds, looks OK. One is a Q200 version which uses the same texture sets BUT the cockpits need finishing :-roll What has held me up is the identical thing I did with a Beechjet, currently waiting (and hoping) that Andre might be able to solve the placement of 'glass' instruments in CPD, and maybe work out why the cockpit views cause crashes all the time (well, 90% of the time in his Hunter and my Saab 340B) when they are edited. It uses turbofan engine models, to allow use of fuel flow and ITT, not to mention the GPS ;) Including all of the original instruments (like the 747) seems to help, as the 747 is stable, but which one is it? One of my Beechjets has nearly NO instruments, apart from the 'glass', and doesn't crash...S'pose I should release the Q200 then...Regards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

Woo hoo :-jumpyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186358.jpgand...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186359.jpg...now to finish the side views - and the Q200 has no copilot!To those that cannot understand the fuss, I finally rebuilt the Dash-8 with an editable cockpit. BTW, this is the Windhawk version, but I'll save all the instrument coordinates and use them for the B400 version once we get a bit further with CPD :-wave( :-jumpy )Regards,Jon Point