Sign in to follow this  
Guest colsie12

Question to all

Guest colsie12

Shalom.I have a simple question to all my FU friends. I am completeing a website (www.freewebs.com/colsie12) which will be dedicated as it says to every other simulator that is not MSFS. I am offering free hosting of files for developers to upload them their and to AVSIm.their are certain files hich I have high intrest in hosting their. Particulary the work by Jon and the new AN2. This is not as a replacement to AVSIM (I would host all files on here and on my server). the uploading procedure is not done directly through the site but by an e-mail attachment to me.I would like the site to work co operatively with AVSim and this forum.If anyone has any comments good or bad please tell me in this thread.thanks, colin.

Hi colinMail attachment is not a good method, you need twice the space for the encoded attachment, a 7MB plane will then be 14MB, a 16MB map -> 32MB breaking the email limit of some services. Try to organize a FTP upload area (for upload only) you can then select the files to move it in the download area.:-wave Andre

Guest fu3

Shuzzbutt (Orkian greeting),As Andre says, we really need FTP to do this. I am intending to soon upload my much-modified "Flight Unlimited 3.7" 1-metre Seattle update (yeah, yeah guys, I know...) but I have to split it into 2 files just to get Avsim to host it (it's around 200Megs). This is bad enough, but trying to split it into smaller pieces means that I cannot have a simple installation method.For example, the geos file is ~45Megs, the models are 80Meg and all the packages and airports together with other files are ~20Megs. The night tiles are another 20Megs on top. There's no point installing the geos alone, as the existing airports and packages will either be buried or floating in the air. This means that you need the corrected packages and airports. Installing the packages without the models won't do much good and will slow the sim down terribly, as it spends all of it's time looking for non-existent models (see another thread here about this...).My solution is to do the models separately (as this requires the user to replace their gen contents) and the geos and extras bundled together. Means I can't have a simple installation method though :-(Regards,Jon Point

Jon,Are you modifying the elevations of models in the Seattle 2005 pack ? If so, feel free to include an updated version with your new stuff.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest colsie12

What would be max file size of any FU3 files. I think I can get a good FTP with enough space. How large would the files be at their largest.

Guest fu3

Chris,Yes, I have used your packages basically as-is for the new elevation. There are some extra models here and there and a few minor changes:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181285.jpgI'm not doing them all anyway - there's simply too many :-roll In the first release, there will be at least 40 airstrips - more I may add after that. This isn't any reflection on your packages, there are just too many!The good news is, you don't have to jiggle everything in a package to adjust elevation. Simply open it in FLED and grab ANYTHING. Save and close and voila! everything sitting on the ground ;)The problem here is LGS models - you DO have to wiggle each and every one :-(Regards,Jon Point

Guest colsie12

So I would need about 200mb a file. I think I know a FTP host that can do this.

Guest colsie12

OK. Check out the site now. Look in the very top of the news section and tell me what you think of the file shareing. Currently it is what we can use as I do not wnat to put FTP downlaods etc on this computer as I am not fully upgraded on this machine and ahve a new one sitting doing nothing. Will 10GB a file be large enough.

Jon,It might be a good idea to remove the Seattle 2005 pack from the FU3 file library when you release these updated packages. Then you can release extra stuff as and when you see fit. I don't use the Seattle region these days, so you are free to do whatever you wish :-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png