Sign in to follow this  
Guest colsie12

Repainting

Guest colsie12

Hi all. Can someone please tell me how I repaint in FU3. I have a few good ideas and would love to repaint and release them.Is it leagal to do this with certain aircraft that have been released by Jon etc. Please answer thanks.I am only asking as I am unsure of the painting policy with aircraft.

How to repaint:1) Extract the pertinent image files using ResViewer. (In case you haven't got ResViewer installed acquiring it will be the first step).2) Once you have extracted the files and saved them as bitmaps you open them in your favorite image editor (MS Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Corel Graphics Suite or Photoshop) and alter whatever you intend to look different. You may certainly change anything but it's always a good idea to keep windows, doors, control surfaces etc as they are. In other words, treat the images as templates. Save the revised images.3) Import the revised images using ResViewer.Hans Petter

Guest fu3

Don't forget, if you're changing colours substantially, you need a new palette. Read the relevant stuff in my S6 build files download.And yes, it's OK to do whatever you want :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest colsie12

Can I have a better guide please.

How about taking it one step at the time?Colsie, have you got a copy of ResViewer?If so, can you open an aircraft file?Then, can you browse to the textures? The third tab on top of the ResViewer window reads "Goto". Click "Goto" and go to "textures". Click down the list of textures and you'll see which ones you need. You'll find parts of the fuselage, wings and tail. For each file that you want to work on click "Export" (tab number 4 on top) and then "convert". Then you get the option to save the image as a BMP. Choose an export folder that makes sense for your work, for instance "my paintjob" and export all of the images that you need. Hans Petter

Guest colsie12

Thanks Hans. I will give that a go now.

Guest colsie12

Done. I am doing a piper cub.

Guest colsie12

Ok. I have done a quick paint. ANd want to try an import. How do I do it. The import wont work. Help.

Once you have finished your revised bitmaps you fire up ResViewer again, open the airplane.res and browse to the texture in question. Let's assume you want to replace file 57. Highlight file 57 and click the "import" tab on top of the ResViewer window. This gives you the options of importing "script" or "single". Select "single" and browse to your new version of file 57 and import it. It will overwrite the original one. Repeat this process for all of the repainted images.Since you hardly want to replace the original paintjob it's a good idea to move a copy of the aircraft to another folder before you start working on it. Or, you may leave a copy in plnpile after you've renamed it to avoid overwriting the original. Hans Petter

Guest colsie12

Ok. I can do one but I get an error message importing the first one it states "ERROR#1117: Bitmap dimensions must be multiple of 2". What does this mean.Also how do I rename this craft I have just painted. I obviously want things to be diffrent so I have the original and my paint.

Guest fu3

The bitmap MUST be the right size! You can have up to 256x256, or as little as 2x2 (don't laugh, I've done it), but they must be multiples of 2.Once you get over that, you can (and should) rename the aircraft resfile to something else (like colscub.res) and then in Resviewer, go down the file list until you see the first (+). These are the name and description files. Click on item 1 and a popup will appear that you can enter a new name into. You are limited to the same filesize, meaning that you cannot have a long name. Try it and see what happens ;) Regards,Jon Point

Regarding bitmap size, this will never be an issue as long as you don't change the size of the image that you've exported. Are you sure that you selected the right image to be replaced as you tried to import it again? It's always a good idea to name your bitmaps so that you know which one goes where -- for instance, file 57 will be 57.bmp while you're working on it.Things get a bit more complicated if you need to change the palette to get a different selection of hues. Hans Petter

Guest fu3

Colin,The Cub? First texture is #46:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181770.jpgLast one is #66:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181771.jpgUse only the ones as they appear on the aircraft. There may be 20 textures available, but only some will be external textures. If in doubt, experiment! From what I can see, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, maybe 53 to 58 but the rest look like something else. As I said, try experimenting with 53 to 58. but I think you'll find that 48-50 are used for a lot ;)Palette is #93:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181772.jpgName is #86, file 1:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181773.jpgGood luck :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest colsie12

HI all. My repaint was coming along nicely until I decided I did not like it. This was after doing it (ahh. I forgot to check it in FU3. One question how do I compile it into a .res. Obviously in resviewer but how.

Guest fu3

In Resviewer, just click on the bitmap you want to replace and hit 'import >> single':http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181909.jpgNavigate to the file and import:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181907.jpgGo to the 3D model and check it out! http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181908.jpgIf you want to change a heap of files at once, you create a script. I only do this when replacing more than 10 files as it is slower to set-up ;)PS When using Resviewer, there is nothing to save. Every time you import something, it recompiles the resfile immediately. We don't use other methods of resfile compilation as they require programming knowledge - and the source files!Regards,Jon Point