Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

Would you be OK with this?

Guest fu3

Hi Everyone ;)I'm getting very close to releasing the processed version of the new Seattle terrain and its a fairly big job, what with packages, models and airports etc.I don't want to upload it as components, because its too messy for many users. What I propose is 2 zipfiles (to keep under the Avsim 100MB limit) and a fairly straightforward installation process. The advantage here is to 'instantly' upgrade a heap of things at once, saving confusion and avoiding (for the most part) those annoying CTDs.Attached is part of the readme file, explaining the installation process and a few other things. I know that many of you will have no trouble with this, but others may disagree.Start:"Seattle '08" Scenery improvement for Flight Unlimited III, Seattle region. (Includes NASA SRTM elevation, second release with airports and packages) Issue 1, Revision 0Filenames: sea0801.zip, sea0802.zipAuthor:

Guest colsie12

Thats fine in my opinion. In fact it is better in some ways. It looks much easier and something even I can do.

Guest VFC

Hi Jon,Back on the forum in my umpteenth incarnation (I seem to have difficulty in logging in every so often and have to change my username and password). Anyway, what you have done sounds fantastic and I am really looking forward to the download. Thank you for your efforts.Gary Evans

Hi Jon,Sounds good, just include a remark for the user of the German version of FU3 that they have to rename the folder ENGPILE to GERPILE.This was one of the main problems at my early distribution in 2001 :-):-waveAndre

Guest fu3

OK, might go with it shortly!Andre, thanks ;) - I'd forgotten about that issue. I will include a line about it. My only dilemma, should I fix Bandera first? It's really bugging me - I almost looked at the CPD conversion again last night but it was too late :-termRegards,Jon Point

Provided the issue is a few rough airfields that's fine. As long as everybody gets a working sim that's not prone to inexplicable CTDs it will be worth it :-)HP

Guest fu3

"As long as everybody gets a working sim that's not prone to inexplicable CTDs it will be worth it"Exactly. Us tinkerers put up with the occasional CTD, 'coz we're so used to them when playing around. It suddenly dawned on me one day that my modified Seattle FU3 version was the most stable I'd ever had. I can even alt-tab it most times, although this isn't recommended - sometimes you get an engine sound and a blank screen...During the elevation mods, I got heaps of FLED crashes, but not one on test flights. And this is over a period spanning almost 6 months in total :-eekMy "Night Lights" version is similar - even though I've done terrible things to it visually :-lol I can only put it down to not mixing airports and packages. I think a lot of problems happened when people started toying with new radio and nav setups.Also, I found a lot of errors in the tiles from missing or incorrectly-placed LGS models. There were lots of trees on boundaries, requiring me to find and delete them once I'd converted the model to a package, or I couldn't select or edit any models. It was mostly 'ntree30.bin' - whoever placed them did so rather carelessly! I found about 6 but there may be more somewhere.There were some missing models too - maybe they just didn't like them and left them out of the modelmip.tag file? A couple of Seattle bridges give errors but I left them alone or they disappear :-(Thanks to Andre's FLED viewer, they're (mostly) gone. I cannot vouch for each and every tile as I didn't have to change them all. Also I didn't think of converting them into packages for quite some time. I guess it proves one thing - LGS didn't use FLED to place some of the models ;)At least FLED won't let US place rogue models and get away with it :-lolRegards,Jon Point

Jon,The runways in each of my addon airfield packages are in the correct positions, but one or two of the parking areas may have been moved (probably because the originals were located on slopes, or simply in awkward locations).Let me know when you intend to upload everything. It might be a good idea to remove my Seattle 2005 pack from the file library when this takes place.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest RAF_Chalky

Jon,It sounds great, and thanks for all your hard work!:-beerchug

Guest fu3

Chris,Yes, and I may have moved some to fit motorgliders...Don't worry, the original Seattle 2005 is still perfectly valid for the standard terrain. I certainly won't be deleting my copy any time soon!Marvellous piece of work really. Almost as good as Sanfran 2006 ;) Wish I still had the AM & TV tower listing for Seattle :-rollRegards,Jon Point

Hi Jon,During several months in 2001 I have analyzed .bin and .cpd with the help of Sergey. In this time I have built GenQuadrant as a testbench for this. Later in 2002 I moved to .bin for UK and Switzerland with much better results and so I give up .cpd files.Now I have try again with my old conversion and a lot of run with different settings but failed all the time.I was not better when I used just the Sergey converter:CDPCoder e 2 compress.bin l2ahae.raw l3ahae.raw seattle.palCDPCoder e 1 compress.bin l1ahae.raw l2ahae.raw seattle.palCDPCoder e 0 compress.bin l0ahae.raw l1ahae.raw seattle.palMapShuffle b2 l2ahae.binMapShuffle b1 l1ahae.binMapShuffle b0 l0ahae.bingenerating l0ahae.cpd, l1ahae.cpd, l2ahae.cpdthis was the best result :-(http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181807.jpgso better keep the original LG cpd or convert to bin with my uploaded toolkit. Once converted to .bin you can expand to Vancouver also :-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181808.jpg:-waveAndre

Guest fu3

Andre,Do we know why the night lighting doesn't work with BINs? I think you know where I'm going with this...I would much prefer to use BINs, as they make scenery modification really simple. Bandera looks great in my extended Seattle/binfile version and was no trouble to do. These CPDs give me the heeby-jeebies :-eekBut I like my night lighting!If I leave Bandera as-is, Seattle'08 is basically ready-to-go. I re-did Kapowsin last night because my package was too heavy - 861 models :-lol I'll do the file transferry thingy and send you an email if can try it out for me.PS I did get Resviewer this time. Sorry for the awkward inbox ;)Regards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

John,I'm hoping that people will appreciate it. I also hope that it encourages people to change and modify their versions - maybe we'll have some updated packages from users?It comes with plenty of scenery packages but that doesn't stop people from doing what they'd like. Chris Low started most of the packages in this set but I changed a lot of small details when making new models and trying out new ideas. Really all I did was delete my bad mistakes (well, most of them...).There is (still) plenty of scope for improvement!:-waveRegards,Jon Point

If a total conversion to BIN helps in developing this further size is hardly a major issue these days. I'll certainly make room for an uncompressed Seattle version that can be expanded more easily. But then, I gather the revised night lights don't work that well with the BIN format?

Guest fu3

don't work at all with BIN files :-(I have no idea why but it may be to do with the setup of the maps folder in region.cfg. I have tried a few different things but no nightlights. Maybe Andre has an idea? Night lights are already in BIN format - although it is very different to the day maps BIN format.Beyond that, I'm very keen to use BIN files for Seattle - my Bandera mod is a good example. Just can't get the CPDs to come out right :-(Stuck between scenery that's impossible to modify, although it's close - and no night lighting :-grrRegards,Jon Point