Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

Would you be OK with this?

Hi Jon,Are we talking about terrain night lighting or models? If it's terrain, I'm a bit confused. I thought they were OK apart from l5-7.It doesn't matter if they are cpd or bin, either should work.If you regenerate the scenery maps and create a new tilindex, then you will need to switch the lights on again. Maybe they are not switched on?Are you sending me a zip of the nlights folder?. Better include the tilindex file as well.CheersBruce H :-wave

Guest fu3

Bruce,Thanks for the CD ;) I haven't loaded it yet as I need to clean-up and get rid of my 'old faithful' which is now truly buggy anyway and Sanfran always locks-up at some point :-( Various missing models and confused radio frequencies cause stutters and s-l-o-w framerates.Anyhoo, I've decided to keep the 'Seattle '08' test install version as my main 'standard' version now. The 'night lights version' is Seattle only - no OT, no Sanfran. Absolutely dead stock LGS. Apart from the nightlights ;)Should I just send the n2 TGAs? They are the only part I'm truly happy with, although last time I looked, the standard n5-7s looked ~OK over the modified n2-4s (on low) but the n4-n5 switching is really obvious and there are a few blotches of light in the n5-7s I'm not happy with :-roll It's like I need hotter n4s? Or...If LG2(3?) could assemble all levels from TGAs I'd try that ;) I can batch the entire n3-7 set from n2s, which means I can adjust each level differently as the batch files all resample from the n2s, not successively between each level (that gets dicky very quickly). Unfortunately, I cannot convert them back to BINs. I'm thinking that there's an underlying problem in the n4-5 switching at the overlay level (??!?) as, when I turn ALL the lights on, there's a huge jump between 4 and 5 in the background texture. Quite noticeable through the welding goggles... :-lolRegards,Jon Point

Hi Jon,You can just send the n2's if you like, but it would be good to know where in the region you need to reach for the welding googles :-roll If you could let me know which settings you used to generate the other levels, I can try and duplicate it here.I got a bit concerned in this post where you said you were getting no lights, that shouldn't happen.CheersBruce H

Jon,OK, I will leave Seattle 2005 for now. I have actually made a few modifications to the basic pack (it's called Seattle 2006 now), but adding this to the library would only cause confusion ! In particular, I flattened the terrain at Coupeville NOLF, and converted the airfield into a tower controlled "half civil, half military" airport. It works well, but is almost certainly not going to be compatible with your upgraded terrain mesh.By the way, do my modified existing airports work OK with the new elevation data ? I just wondered whether the complex network of taxiway lines and lights sit comfortably on the modified terrain....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Jon,I didn't notice the missing night lights in the .bin mode of Seattle.I never take night flights :-)The reason for the missing lights was the entry in tilindex.bin All tiles was set to 02 meaning bin tile for day, 01 stands for blank tiles (water only). For each level and each night tile found in the NLIGHTS folder inside the MAPS folder I have to set 02 to 06.The region area must be set 16 x 16 tiles in the region config.TILINDEX.bin and documentation are in the attached zipenjoy your night flights:-wave Andre

Hi Andre,When Level57maker is used it resets the night light information in tilindex.Would it be possible to mod the program so it retains the settings?CheersBruce H:-wave

Hi Bruce,It's possible, but a lot of work, it's need a extensive file search to find all tiles, cpd, bin in CDROM folder and region map folder.Night lights are not registered by Level57maker. may be just an tilindex update program for the night tiles.this is a project for 2008 :-)we will see, meanwhile save your tilindex.bin after night tile settingsbefore you run Level57maker again.:-waveAndre

Guest fu3

OK,This is all good. I simply made too many changes and hadn't checked the basics :-rollThis is what you get for building aircraft and flattening airstrips, instead of concentrating on night lighting!I am 'that close' to releasing the processed elevation. I'll put a trial on yousendit and email you both, if you'd like to check it out for me ;) The night lighting will be an update later.A pidgeon just flew into my living room :-eek I'm not kidding...It was eyeing-off the laptop then the durn thing pooped on my sofa and flew out again :-grrRegards,Jon Point

Hi again Andre,It's not a big deal, because LightGen2 can regenerate the light settings in tilindex with one click. It's just that you have to remember to run it after Level57maker, or all the lights go out.:-cool Take care,Bruce H :-wave

Guest fu3

"...you have to remember to run it after Level57maker, or all the lights go out"Tee hee :-lolRegards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

All,It's wrapped-up and just needs a card attached - assuming the intrepid Andre and Bruce don't suffer meltdown when testing it. Should be in your stocking, er, in the Avsim library before Christmas!Meanwhile, Wax Orchards - WITH orchards!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182147.jpgRegards,Jon Point

Guest R_Driscoll

I can't keep up with you Jon! This is a masterpiece, the FU3 we were meant to have. The NASA data is a brilliant improvement, and the one or two coffee breaks you've put into landscaping, flattening, repositioning, lighting, models for all of the packages and waterways really shows. Congrats to all of those (esp agtim) who've developed tools and techniques, and of course to Chris for the original packages.(Small point - the orchards look a bit too regular).Congrats again, Robert.

Guest fu3

Rob,Maybe it'll get you back to Seattle :-lol"Small point - the orchards look a bit too regular"Well, yes I agree but I've grown used to it. Truth is, I removed many models from various packages but these ones I left. They only occur here.As much as I'd like to mess them up a bit, the real trick here is polygon conservation. The small orchard has 24 trees but instead of 144 polygons...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182157.jpgThe large one has 432 trees(!) and has only:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182158.jpgBy comparison, even with my 4-polygon trees, the result would be horrendous. Using ntrees/jtrees etc, the large orchard would have 2592 polygons - or 2.592 times as many as possible for one model ;)I have some small, clumpy bits of forest that use 8 polygons for 12 trees but I kinda got side-tracked by the rest of the region...Maybe after Christmas :-waveRegards,Jon Point