Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

Very frustrated

Guest Lobaeux4

Before I reformat my hard drive and reinstall XP, can anyone think of why I'm freezing when getting close to the destination airfield? Doesn't matter what airfield I go to, default or add-on. In fact I set map view on a default airport, set me up on a 15 mile final, when I touched down, bam! frozen. I've gone back to the original VIA drivers, tried 29.40, 23.11 NVIDIA drivers, I've updated my Yamaha DSXG drivers, disabled the AC '97 drivers, took out my Yamaha sound card, activated the AC '97 drivers. I've set all my vid settings to basic and still fly till just shy of getting passed to approach or just after getting passed to approach, the sim freezes up. Please help.LobaeuxAMD 1700 XP512 DDR RAMGeForce 3 Ti 200 29.40 driversKV7TA3 mobo40 MB 7,200 HDWin XP Pro19" monitor

Sympathy for sure.stuff to check,registry...check if you still have leftover "keys" for your old sound card...in HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWAREDelete them if you find emdo the same for any obsolete settings, like old video driversdisable fastwrite in bioslower agp aperature setting in biostest ur memory with a memory tester recommended by Kathy Pilot in a thread in this forum.wishing u luck..Bob B

Have you recently upgraded your video drivers? You need to go into control panel and change your video adapter to default VGA. Then uninstall all your old video drivers. In addition to this you need to run a regedit and get rid of any trace of the old drivers. Then you can install the new drivers. This will stop the problem you are having. I had the same freeze up problems after upgrading video drivers a while back. I then did the above steps and have not had a lockup since. Going on 3 months now. Good luck and let me know if I can help you further. Bob

Guest Lobaeux4

I checked the regedit, regcleaner too, there doesn't seem to be any sign of my previous Yamaha drivers. I really think it's the VIA drivers, but I've tried a couple of different sets, and the problem is still there. Of course, it only happens with FS2K2, but then again I don't run anything else. I really can't figure this one out. After it freezes, I quickly restart the computer and check the temps in the BIOS, but there around 34 system 54 cpu, I didn't think that was hot enough to worry about or cause freeze-ups. I'm going to try and do a fresh reinstall, if that doesn't work (which I don't think it will) would a complete format, re-partition and reinstall everything work, or is it something in my BIOS or other settings. I don't think there's an IRQ conflict anymore.Joe

Guest SD Sim

Hi Joe,The statement that you are getting lock-ups close to the destination airfield doesn't sound to me like a hardware problem, but rather a software problem, particularly since you have add-ons in your sim. I would suggest that you uninstall MSFS, and then (if you have the HD space) move the remaining files left over (the uninstall only removes the default files/folders) to a temporary storage folder with a new name. Now reinstall MSFS and see if you still have a problem. If the problemm is gone, then slowly add back your add-ons until you find the culprit. Good luck.

Guest Lobaeux4

That actually sounds like a good idea!! I'm going to try that, all stock files and then slowly add to see if it's okay. I'll post results later. I started moving files in anticipation of reinstalling FS2K2, putting them on my laptop instead of another partition on my harddrive. I'll see how it works.Lobaeux

Guest Lobaeux4

Here's something curious I just found. I dl'd the sydney/waterford scenery package a little while back. After I uninstalled FS2K2, I went to regcleaner to make sure it was all gone. Under the Sydney scenery it listed the size as 7,142.00 MB. Now I'm not the smartest man in the world, but doesn't that seem a little excessive for add-on scenery. I deleted it, and am reinstalling fs2k2 so I'll see how that works.Lobaeux

Joe, it has also been reported that the use of some third-party aircraft would cause such a lock-up. Maybe the textures used on the aircraft or something. It is not clear. When you had the lock-up, were you using a default plane or an added one? Maybe it is worth to switch to a default and see if this helps before you take a drastic action.All the best.

Guest Lobaeux4

Okay, reinstalled FS2K2, flew default cessna from Meigs to O'Hare, just fine no lockups. I was even able to land. Now, I'm going to let it sit overnight, in spot view, just to see if it freezes on me. Naji, when I had the lockups earlier it was with the PSS 777, PSS A320, GMAX J41, Ed Grabowski's ERJ-145, and the default cessna 172. Lockups were happening at default Houston scenery, Gary Summons' London Airports/Heathrow, default Inverness, add-on Glasgow, default San Antonio and of course, default Meigs. I'm going to go ahead and add in aircraft, starting with default repaints first, then my payware aircraft, then the rest. The only aircraft I've added since it really started locking up, was the new ATR-42, but I flew that a couple of times no problem, the PSS A320 latest update and the PSS 777 latest update. I changed my VIA drivers from .36 to .38, I think that's where my problem started. I've since changed them back to .36 I'm running 29.42 NVIDIA drivers, which I think are great, plus they're digitally signed. After I add in the aircraft, I'll add in what I consider essentials. FSMeteo, FS Skyworld, and Oceans FX. Lastly, I'll add in my scenery, leaving out the before mentioned Sydney add-on. Don't think that was a contributor to the problem, but the sheer size of it being reported in regcleaner has scared me off. Thanks for all the help from everyone in here, I'll give a more thorough outcome tomorrow.Lobaeux

Hi,I had similar problems with XP until I moved my sound acceleration from "Full" back to "Basic." I am using the Soundblaster Audigy Gamer sound card and used DXDiagostics to make the adjustment. I think the option is also available in the sounds section of control panel.Good Luck!!!

Guest Lobaeux4

I have done that. I'm getting very pi**ed off at this computer and program!! I started it up, seemed to go well, then added PSS Airbus and London Airports, which I had installed before I had this problem, installed FS Maintenance, also had it before I had all these problems. NOW!! I start it up, it gets to the opening screen, little hourglass shows, then black screen, and then dumps me back to the desktop. Not even Falcon 3.0 was this damn finicky!! I understand that it's a lot that MS has put into this sim, but I can't even get it to work now, I guess I'm just frustrated. XP won't let me change any of my IRQ's. I've got my GeForce 3 Ti 200 reported on IRQ 5 as a PCI card, sharing 5 with my two network cards, and my AC '97 onboard sound now alone on 11. I thought that was going to be the end of my problem. Now I can't even get to the create a flight screen. I'm so close to formatting this hard drive it's not even funny ('course I don't think that'll solve the problem either. Gonna try uninstalling the VIA drivers, go with XP native, then reinstall FS2K2 and see if this helps.Thanks,Lobaeux