Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Joystick

As some of you may remember I bought a Saitek yoke with a throttle quadrant. Unless I find a way to configure this rig for FU3 I'll be looking for another joystick since my father got my old one. FU3 works as a charm with a joystick and rudder pedals. When it comes to the yoke / throttle quadrant combo + pedals FU3 seems to ignore the yoke and responds to pedals and (parts of) the throttle quadrant only. To make it all work I would need provisions for the recognition of three controllers rather than two. I might try to drop the throttle quadrant and check whether I'd be able to configure the yoke and the pedals only. The axes are all wrong but that can be fixed provided all of the axes are recognized. Any ides for a three controller set-up would be appreciated.If not, I'll buy a basic joystick for FU3 and continue using joystick and pedals only. What do you guys use? I've had a CH joystick and a Logitech joystick. Saitek has a nice range of joysticks too. Twist handles are a moot point since I will use rudder pedals. The trigger button is redundant in my case too but it seems every yoke comes with a trigger. A few buttons that can be configured for flaps and trim are very useful.Hans Petter

For the time being I settled for the cheapest (eh, least expensive) Saitek joystick in my local "Spaceworld" shop. It works allright but I had to switch some config numbers to get the joystick working as a joystick and the rudder pedals as (you guessed right) rudder pedals :-)From my flt3.cfg:;joy_device 2;throttle_device 2 3;rudder_device 1 3;toe_brakes_device 1 1 2The above worked fine with my Logitech joystick and pedalsjoy_device 1throttle_device 1 3rudder_device 2 3toe_brakes_device 2 1 2This one works for the Saitek joystick and pedalsI've got no idea why the stick needs to be joy device 1 in one case and joy device 2 in the other. Finding what worked was reached by trial and error. (When pedals work the throttle, the toe brakes move the ailerons and the stick deploys flaps you know it's not right). Ideally I would like to make this sim recognize the Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant AND the rudder pedals.

Hans,I just found your note. I too have the Saitek yoke and Rudder pedals for FSX. But like you, I am wanting to know how to make it all work for my beloved FU-3.I didn't even know that FU-3 responded to rudder pedals. I can't wait to get home (at office now) and try the cfg entries you have for the pedals. When I tried my Saitek yoke out, I was bummed by no way to use the throttle quadrant. Unfortunately, I'm not very computer smart so I doubt if I will be able to provide any breakthroughs. I never owned CH products but I tried them out at various displays and exhibits. To me the Saitek product makes the CH seem like a toy... and the throttle quadrant is so much more realistic and works great in FSX.I guess there is no help here. Thanks for your post. But I DO feel your pain... I guess I will hook up my logitech 2.4 Freedom (wireless) stick I used with FU-3 before, and try to make the Saitek pedals work with your cfg entries.Best regards,Steve

Guest Ben Clark

I'm not sure if this can help your issue because I do not have the yoke, quadrant and pedals, but I had a similar problem some time ago.I solved it in a roundabout way using software called ppjoy and ppjoyjoyppjoy can create a virtual joystick. ppjoyjoy reads in joystick inputs and can place them all onto one virtual joystick.http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=139447not for FU3 but this is a tutorial that shows the steps necessary, it can take some time. Also, ppjoyjoy seems very hard to find but if you get the 3rd download link on that tutorial then you get a rar file containing both ppjoy and ppjoyjoy.I hope this can help you both.

Guest Seadog

This app, denominated for Parallel Port joysticks, actually works with USB controllers?:-hmmm Not of any use for Saitek owners, but the CH Control Manager utility allows a similar conglomeration of multiple physical controllers into a single virtual one. I've been wondering if Saitek's own software can do something similar.Having invested beaucoup into CH kit I'm not presently disposed to acquire Saitek's competitive equipment just for the joy of comparison, mind you. Much more needed for a next generation video card. But I am curious. This really works with USB stuff?-Doug

Guest Ben Clark

That's a positive. ppjoy is primarily for creating virtual joysticks. it also includes seperate software for controlling those virtual joysticks based on parallel port input and various other options(serial, keyboard, mouse). the third party application ppjoyjoy controls the virtual joystick based on the chosen inputs of any other joysticks attached to the system.Hope that clears it up.

Guest cornclose

Something else which may be of use for this sort of thing is GlovePIE.I've used it for all manner of things, but have yet (due to time constraints) to try it with FU3. Here's the homepage :-http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie_______RegardsChris Ehttp://www.circle-software.co.uk/php/html/images/logo.gifVisit http://www.circle-software.co.ukHome of X-Plane Photographic Scenery : England & Wales

I've downloaded ppjoy and will check whether I can make it work. I'm a bit busy right now and I'm even looking into creating maps to extend the Seattle region so I'm spreading myself thin FU3wise too.However, since FU3 accepts a stick and rudder pedals it's plausible that it might be possible to set up a list of arguments that adds a third controller. I mean, it does accept two separate controllers already. This has been repeated many times but here it is again copied from my flt3.cfg:;joystick setup;Logitechjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 3toe_brakes_device 1 1 2;Saitek;joy_device 1;throttle_device 1 3;rudder_device 2 3;toe_brakes_device 2 1 2As you can tell I'm using a Logitech stick now and the Saitek stick is edited out. Either one works for either combination of stick and rudder pedals. The Saitek YOKE (not to be confused with the stick) has a throttle quadrant wired to it and this composite unit (yoke and throttle quadrant) creates the extra challenge.

Wow! What a contribution you are making, as always, Hans. I know one needs to have a life outside of Flight Simming. But when you do have time to think about this further... what a contribution you will be making.I couldn't make my Saitek pedals work with the config file you offered, but I'm really not very computer smart, so I may have done something wrong. The throttle on the Saitek yoke works with the sim (with no mods to the cfg file) But there is no rudder input. Also I have not figured out how to map the trim control over to the left hand rocker switch. It has been YEARS since I remapped my FU-3 buttons. I've long since lost the notes on how to do that. so for now, its back to the Logitech Wireless Freedom stick.Take your time... When the time comes, I am confident you will figure this out for us.Best wishes,Steve

My pedals are CH rather than Saitek but they work well with the Saitek yoke/throttle unit in FS. You might test whether the entire control rig registers with the command lines mentioned. Pop outside, watch the plane and check whether the pedals effect anything. It may take a rearranged set of numbers to effect what they're supposed to effect but if you see something that's moving you're on the right track.Button commands go in joykeys.cfg. If you haven't got one just create a text file in notepad and call it joykeys.cfg. Here's what mine contains:;joy_1 toggle_parking_brakes;joy_2 reverse_thrust;joy_3 flaps_up;joy_4 flaps_down ;joy_3 Elevator_Trim_Down;joy_4 Elevator_Trim_Upjoy_1 toggle_parking_brakesjoy_2_rep_10 Elevator_Trim_Up 1joy_3_rep_10 Elevator_Trim_Down -1joy_6 flaps_upjoy_7 flaps_down joy_9 reverse_thrustAs always, those that are edited out worked with a previous joystick. Unless your stick / yoke comes with a button mapping it's all trial and error. In any event the above commands should be useful, even if you have to shuffle the numbers to get it right.

Thank you, Hans ...I'll work on it and report back. That looks familiar from years past. But nothing on the rudders here. Hopefully in times to come. Take care.

Guest Robs

Hi all,I have a Saitek X52 Joystick Throttle and Rudder pedals.It took me ages to figure out the correct settingsI post them here to save others the hassle.If it isn't right for you then you'll have to experiment like me until you get it right!This text goes in your flt3.cfg file (edit with notepad); joystick setupjoy_device 2throttle_device 2 3rudder_device 1 6toe_brakes_device 1 1 2 The rudder on the X52 is on axis 6. The reason for this seems to be that the Joystick and throttle are joy 2 and have many axes and the twist axis (used for rudder if you don't have pedals) on the joystick is axis 6. So I figured it must also be axis 6 on the rudder pedals (joy 1) and it works. This sorts out all of your primary controls on the X52.I haven't flown FU3 for ages because I couldn't get this to work!I hope this allows other users to fly.Robs.

I tried the joystick setup but unfortunately it didn't effect anything here. What I have is the Saitek YOKE and throttle quadrant. This entire rig plugs into the computer by means of one single USB contact. The yoke will require the usual X, Y and Z axes and the throttle quadrant adds three additional axes (throttle, propeller pitch and mixture). Then I have CH rudder pedals. For some reason FU III doesn't seem to recognize the composite USB device at all, except that it messes up the axes of the stick that's also plugged in most of the time. For FU III I unplug the Saitek rig and fly using the stick and rudder pedals.For FS9 and X-Plane they can all stay plugged in without any interference. FS will recognize the stick and the yoke at the same time. Thus, I may fly a modern aircraft with the yoke and use the stick for old GA aircraft and helicopters. X-Plane works slightly different in that no axis will be recognized until you assign it and you can't have two axes doing the same thing at the same time. This means no interference from an unassigned stick or yoke but you have to choose which one you want to assign in "preferences".Hans Petter

Guest Robs
I tried the joystick setup but unfortunately it didn't effect anything here. What I have is the Saitek YOKE and throttle quadrant. This entire rig plugs into the computer by means of one single USB contact. The yoke will require the usual X, Y and Z axes and the throttle quadrant adds three additional axes (throttle, propeller pitch and mixture). Then I have CH rudder pedals. For some reason FU III doesn't seem to recognize the composite USB device at all, except that it messes up the axes of the stick that's also plugged in most of the time. For FU III I unplug the Saitek rig and fly using the stick and rudder pedals.For FS9 and X-Plane they can all stay plugged in without any interference. FS will recognize the stick and the yoke at the same time. Thus, I may fly a modern aircraft with the yoke and use the stick for old GA aircraft and helicopters. X-Plane works slightly different in that no axis will be recognized until you assign it and you can't have two axes doing the same thing at the same time. This means no interference from an unassigned stick or yoke but you have to choose which one you want to assign in "preferences".Hans Petter
I saw you had the Yoke not the joystick but because they were from the same manufacturer thought it might be worth a try!I am sorry it didn't workIf you try and set up (trial and error working out what axis does what)* with yoke setup only and then I guess you will find that a joystick and yoke axis conflict and FU3 can't cope.Worth removing joystick until you id the axis of your rudders so no conflict hiding it!FS9 probably looks at the highest in "game controllers" in control panelXplane - never got beyond the demo - looks more like a way of life - flys well and looks better than it did but I guess I am a sucker for eye candy! :( Anyway very best of luck*by trial an error I mean I wrote a new flt3.cfg set up and booted up and looked at external view of a plane and worked out what was moving what panel and logically moved thru the possibilities - took me ages. Rudders eluded me for ages as I thought the axes would be sequential.Saitek tech support was "flight unlimited 3 is an old game" - ie they didn't know.