Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

I'm here, new system, HELP?

Guest twsimfan

Hi guys,The new system I told you guys about a month and a half ago arrived DOA. It probably could have been saved but their customer support was terrible. It went back and I ordered a new Dell XPS 720 "Red" system which just arrived on Christmas eve. I just got the Vista security to allow me to log onto these forums a few minutes ago. I'm still learning Vista... it looks like a champ but wont be until I know how to find my way around.Maybe you guys can help me out here. Rather than do a formal install of FU3 I copied my old install out to my Seagate "Freeagent Pro" 750GB external drive. It will be my backup drive in the future but right now it is serving as my "lifeboat" from my old sick (now dead?) system to this one. Anyway I copied that install into my D: drive... a Hitachi 1TB unit... this morning. FU3 comes up fine but when I try to start a flight it loads that flight and promptly gives me this message "Please insert Flight Unlimited III data disc 1 now".I know that many of you have done "unofficial instals" so how do I get FU3 to find the scenery data?This is a fairly quick machine. It has a Intel QX6850 "Quad Core" CPU overclocked to 3.33GHz and the system "drive" is a pair of 160GB Western Digital 10,000 rpm Raptors connected Raid 0 to form one "logical" 320GB high performance drive.Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :)

Guest colsie12

Powerful system. I just got my system an E6750 at 2.66ghz stock. I really have to get FU3 into this sytem but I got FSX in and I was astonished at how good it was (sorry guys). So I just have to pull myself away from FSX for a minute get FU3 in and fly away with that.I cant help you with your problem though sorry.

Guest twsimfan

Yes FSX is good stuff. Have you got the ACC pack installed? That along with DX10 (which comes with it) makes FSX 10 times as great as it already was. Also gives you much faster frames and load times. And the textures display a 100 times nicer.But I'd still like to see what FU3 can do on this system. :)

Hi Tom,Just a little bit of editing work and then you can fly again :-)I assume that your previous installation was not from Drive D:You have to rename the paths in the region config files.1. Seattle, /seattle/region.cfg reg_name Seattle-Tacoma Metropolitan Areareg_cd_path F:Flight3cdromseattlemapsreg_terrain_disk_name 2. San Francisco /sanfran/region.cfg reg_name San Francisco Bay Areareg_cd_path F:Flight3CDROMsanfranmapsreg_terrain_disk_name Flight Unlimited II Disk 2 (Game Disk)This is just an example, using my settings, I am running FU3 from drive F:. having the CD-folder at F:Flight3cdromseattlemaps and F:Flight3cdromsanfranmapsYou have just to change the reg_cdpath of each region config file to the path containing the .cpd map files. They can even be on anothe drive but the path must link to it. The reg_terrain_disk_name will retain the Disk name, can be empty as you see in my Seattle version. Thats all.Have a good start in the new year and mani thanks for your moderator work for our sim :-):-waveAndre

Guest fu3

Tom,It looks like you got the 'safe list' stuff happening ;)After backing-up my BINs the other night during work on Bandera, I left my external Maxtor HD plugged-in. When I went to run FU3, I got the same message :-lol"Insert CD"? I had set my removable drive to X: but my Daughter had left her USB drive in the back, and the HD drive letter had changed to L:. L:? That's the 'work' drive - Oh No! The 'maps' partition was now N: instead of M:.Suffice to say, one must watch drive letters, especially when using external drives. In this case, an extra drive had thrown the letters out, even though I had 'locked' the Maxtor to 'X:' :-grr And why it stuck the drive in at L: when it had S to W free I don't know.So yes, it happens to me too!Regards,Jon Point

Guest twsimfan

Hi Andre,You are sure right about those 2 files. But there appear to be a good many other config files that need to be edited. I'm losing the image of the plane as soon as I try to do anything and I can't seem to switch between views. I'll have to work on it over the next couple of days. I need to get to bed soon as I have to be up at 2:15 and to work by 4 AM.

Guest twsimfan

Hi Jon,Yes I finally managed to get logged in. This security in Vista is going to take some getting used to.My external drive is currently showing up as I: but I'm not trying to run from that copy. I'm keeping that just as I got it from the old system. I copied it to my D: drive but that may be more work than I want to cope with. I may have to move it to C: as that is where it was installed on the old system and will hopefully run from there without a lot of editing.I have some questions regarding your new creations but I need to get to bed to get up early. I'll be sending you some mail some time tomorrow. It will be New Years Eve or New Years Day so no problem if you take some time to get back to me.

Guest colsie12

It will not install in my computer I am using vista. Help. It is home premium if that helps.

Ok you mean installation from CD is not working, may be, install on another system, Win98 / XP and then copy the installed game folder with all subfolder to your VISTA system, this will work, I did it with VISTA beta version. There are no registry settings needed for FU3.Just copy and set the CDROM path in the region config file.good luck:-waveAndre

Guest colsie12

It still will not install. During install I get to around 50% and then it restarts I tell it to do a fuill install.And what is this FSX ACC application the moderator was talking about (sorry I do not know your name).

You cannot install it on VISTA, you must use an old computer for thy installation, XP or Win98 after installation on the old computer you have to copy the fU3 folder to VISTA then you can start it witout any installation on VISTA.Sorry no idea what FSX ACC is.:-wave Andre

Guest twsimfan

Hi guy,"And what is this FSX ACC application the moderator was talking about (sorry I do not know your name)."What I meant by "ACC" is the Acceleration pack for FSX. It gives you 3 fairly neat new aircraft and I guess some new scenery as well but I'm not sure where. Most important it updates FSX. The sim has far nicer looking textures and loads much faster. Loads the game faster then also loads flights faster.As for names mine is Tom and Andre's is Andre... and yours is?

I don't have Vista, but I'm wondering if MS has a "Windows Application Compatibilty Tool Kit" like they did for WinXP? If they do, maybe the tool will help Flt3 install on Vista machies?JimBWell, I checked myself and it claims to be Vista compatible.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

dual boot: win8.1pro64bit (primary) | win10pro64bit  | mobo: MSI Prestige x570 Creation | cpu and cooler:  AMD 5950X; Noctua NH-U12A | ram: 4each 8gb sticks of ddr4-3200 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 | gpu:  nvidia RTX2070Super Founders Edition| lcd: LG 24" 4k, LG 24UD58-B

I believe that most of us know by now that FU3 will not INSTALL under a Vista OS, yet it will RUN fine under Vista provided you burn a data DVD and transfer it all to Vista (or, to any other Windows OS). I've got several backup versions of FU3 on a portable USB drive and the newly acquired one with all map (scenery) files converted to BIN will be next. Hence, I won't ever have to reinstall from installation disks and thereby be forced to run through upgrades and addons ever again. The beauty of FU3 is that it requires absolutely no registry entries to work.Still, I'm curious WHY FU3 won't install under Vista. Does it install the old fashioned way under XP? How can Vista block the proper installation process and yet run the sim / program suite as intended? It would be more logical to have a situation where old apps install as intended but fail to run as intended due to dependencies on obsolete APIs.Hans Petter