Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

Problem with Bandera fix

Guest fu3

Folks,It has been pointed out to me that there is an error in the instructions included with the set. In the original instruction:"Whilst there, run GeoTiles Viewer and import the TGA elevation file:A. Start GeoTiles Viewer and click on 'open tagfile'B. Click on 'Sealevel in feet' and set to 109.C. Scroll down to 'ahae' and click on the '+' to open the tree.D. Click on '15ahae', then 'Terrain Elevation:' >> 'Import'is incorrect.It SHOULD read:Whilst there, run GeoTiles Viewer and import the TGA elevation file:A. Start GeoTiles Viewer and click on 'open tagfile'B. Click on 'Sealevel in feet' and set to 109.C. Scroll down to 'ahae' and click on the letters (not the '+' - don't open the tree).D. Click on 'Terrain Elevation:' >> 'Import'My apologies for this. I was cutting and pasting from somewhere else and somehow didn't pick it up ;)I have uploaded an updated copy of 'bandaid1.zip' to the library and attached below is the updated readme file for those of you in the middle of it!Regards,Jon Point

Hi Jon and all,Yes selection is object dependent so we need to select the node for the import and the single map for the export. At import the maps must be fit together so you import level5 only and the other 2 levels are generated internally. At export you can export any map of any level.There is near no harm if you do it wrong.If you select the map you get an error messageif you select the wrong node and don't have the file with the node name in the folder the nothing is loaded ( file not found )if you forget to set the sealevel to 109 ft the just reimport again.with the correct setting of the sealevel.If you export the elevation map after the import then the imported tga file is overwritten with the exported level5 map and you will see that the color scale has changed, because the default sealevel is 0.If you want to reimport this exported new map then let the sealevel at 0because sealevel adaptation has to be done only once.Ok Jon you know most of them but I put it here for the other users with less experience using GeoTilesViewer :-)At the start inside FU3 it's take time to set all elevation correctly.You can speed up this low priority tread by using the zoom.key F5, then x to zoom out totaly and then z to zoom back - disk access will increase during this process and after your back to the plan all elevation are set correctly and will be updated again at low priority speed.Have fun with the new FU3 feeling :-):-wave Andre

While we're dealing with Bandera here's another issue. Jon's readme includes: 11. One last thing. If your L0-L2 BIN files are in your CDROM folder, you will need to copy them from regionsseattlemaps to CDROMseattlemaps. If all of your BIN files were already in the regionsseattlemaps folder, you don't need to do anything.--------------It seems that I should move the files since my L0 - L2 BINs are in my root CDROMmaps folder rather than in my regionsseattlemaps. I haven't moved them yet and what I get is this: A correctly placed airport on top of the old mangled road / cloverleaf. The vehicles are moving down the road, except that the road is missing where it should run next to the airport. Hence, the placement of everything, package objects included, is corrected but the terrain textures are the old ones.Why don't we all have our files in the same folders? Further, does FU3 search both folders but prioritize one map folder over the other if same files are present in both? But then, if I move the files and overwrite some old ones there won't be two versions of anything.I got some strange elevation anomalies up in the new area towards Vancouver. It could be that I got the sea level wrong and will correct it. Which begs the question, why is the sea level supposed to be at 109 feet? In real life "sea level" tends to be the very definition of zero feet.All in all, this looks very nice. Best of all, the sim runs better than it ever did and there are no hiccups or CTDs :-)

All .bin files must be in the regionsSeattlemaps folder the CDROM... folder is for .cpd only when you play without CDROM in drive.LG only knows why they set SeaLevel to 109ft :-)If you use the geotiles.tag from Seattle08 then there is noting to change just Bandera and Apex Airfield. There are 2 Tiles north of Coupeville Nolf, but the airports in this area is not flattened. The texture is not very sharp also, it was just a first trial of expansion and there are more geos than textures so some mountains are in the sea area. The range north of the LG area is "under construction" .:-waveAndre

You wrote: "All .bin files must be in the regionsSeattlemaps folder the CDROM... folder is for .cpd only when you play without CDROM in drive".I tried that. With all bin files in my regionsseattlemaps and none whatsoever incdrom... the sim prompts me to insert scenery disk 1 for the first time. Then changed the cdrom path to the regionsseattlemaps path and it still prompts me for scenery disk 1.I edited out the entire line referring to the cdrom path but it seems that the sim won't load all levels unless the right files are in some dedicated cdrom folder. Now I assume that you mean that the some bin files (the new ones) need to be in the regions folder.Please don't worry about my mess-up since I can "roll back" anytime :-) I just wonder what needs to be in that cdrom folder that I really shouldn't have to have. Provided I put absolutely everything in the region scenery folder why should FU3 fail to find all levels, even when I tell it that the cdrom path equals the regions map folder?feeling a bit stupid right now,Hans Petter

OK it's as I said :-) but:did you put the tilindex.bin from Seattle08 into the region maps folder ? and how about the region.cfg ? this is the start of my config file, important is reg_cd_levels -1 this will tell to FU3 that all maps are .binYes I have a path too, but there are no files in it.reg_name Seattle-Tacoma Metropolitan Areareg_cd_path F:Flight3cdromseattlemapsreg_cd_levels -1reg_terrain_disk_name reg_icon sanfran.gifreg_north 1.27409035reg_utm_zone 10reg_utm_offset 480905.14 5177413.47reg_width 10reg_height 16reg_airport seareg_sealevel 109reg_timezone -8best is I send the tilindex.bin here, put it to the region seattle maps.Good Luck:-wave Andre

It seems that your tilindex.bin fixed my problems :-) The one I had was of a slightly smaller file size. Now all of my Seattle BINs are in the regionsseattlemaps folder and there's nothing in the cdromseattlemaps.Still, as more FU3 users do the BIN conversion we should see more discussions of where the various files should be located. My standard FU3 + SanFran created the cdrom folder, the only full installation option. As for the reason behind the CPD compression the 1998 developers assumed that most people wouldn't choose to "waste" precious disk space on a full installation and would rather spin a scenery disk to load the required map files into temporary memory.The BIN conversion seemed to run fine with the converted files in the cdrom folder until I tried to update Bandera.thanks for hard work involved in developing the tools for reprogramming the CPD files and thanks for the free support :-)Hans Petter

Hi Hans Petter,Your welcome, glad to read that your installation works now.I remember the first Win95-FU3 times with a max. partition of 2.8GB.It was not possible to load the full game at this time :-).At this time I didn't know that the CDROM folder can be on another partition.As more FU3 users migrates to .bin it will be time to build more northern tiles. First I will finish the Antonov and the new ResourceViewer version ...Have fun with the new Seattle and a good start into the new year.:-waveAndre