Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

Installing FU3 on Vista

Guest fu3

Hi Folks :-waveSome people have been concerned about compatibility with Vista during installation. Those of us with PCs still running XP or Win2K (and FU3) can simply copy it across, but some people had reported problems with trying to install it.(Suddenly) having access to an extra PC (my daughter Clare's new notebook), I had promised to do this tomorrow, but here it is ;) Just ignore the previous unsuccessful 2 hours...1. First, you must be logged-on as an administrator. EVERY Vista install has one - it's the first user account you created (unless you changed it...).2. Create some new folders somewhere - I used C:Program Files as a base location but it doesn't matter - you can delete these files later if you need the space. You will need ~3Gb. Use a similar structure to mine to make it simpler:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183896.jpgPlease ignore the 'Flight3' folder, the shots were taken after the install.You see that I created a folder called 'Flight3_install' in my 'Program Files' folder. Next, open it and create the 2 folders; 'disc2' and 'disc3'. If you have the Sanfran disks (FU2), create the other 2 folders; 'sanfran_disc1' and 'sanfran_disc2' as well. Vista may complain about every folder creation but don't worry, just accept it and go ahead. An unavoidable side-effect of crossing the 'administrator line' :-lol3. Copy the discs to the folders:* The Flight3 Install disc is copied to the 'Flight3_install' folder (i.e. root).* The Flight3 Scenery disc 1 is copied to the 'disc2' folder.* The Flight3 Scenery disc 2 is copied to the 'disc3' folder.Again, you may get some popups asking you if you really, really, truly want to allow this. This is Micro$oft trying to scare you - just say yes.if you are using Sanfran (FU2):* The Sanfran disc 1 (or install disc on older copies) is copied to the 'sanfran_disc1' folder.* The Sanfran disc 2 (or 'scenery' disc) is copied to the 'sanfran_disc2' folder.So far, so good? Your 'flight3_install' folder should kinda look like the one above (switch to 'view>details'). 4. Now that we've copied eveything, we need to make the install files work for Vista. First, we need to remove the 'read only' attribute on the root folder files. a. Go the folder where you put the 'flight3_install' folder. b. Right-click on it and click 'properties'. The 'read only' box may or may not be checked, but click it on and off then hit 'apply'. You will be asked to apply to this folder or all folders and files within. Select all folders and files contained etc.5. Invoke 'compatibility mode' on the installation executable. Again, ignore ALL warnings! a. Right-click on the 'setup.exe' file in the 'flight3_install' folder. b. On the menu that appears, click on 'Compatibility' at the top. c. Click on 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' and select 'Windows 2000' from the drop-down menu. Do not use XP and do not definitely use 98SE - I'll explain later ;)d. Also, click on 'run as administrator' if you will be using a different login when using FU3.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183898.jpg6. Run the install. Double-click on 'setup.exe' in the 'flight3_install' folder. * The installation program should run as normal. * Most people just install everything and be done with it. * Again, Vista may ask questions, but just be patient and say 'yes' - it all works in the end ;)* When it asks for the next CD, just navigate to it - they're all in the 'flight3_install' folder. * It will ask for the installation CD a few times as well, just point it back to the 'flight3_install' folder. Those of you used to doing this with CDs will notice that it takes <15 minutes :-roll7. Eventually, it will ask you if you want an icon on your desktop, signalling completion.8. Run as normal. I didn't do anything to optimise it or add any enhancements yet, but I fired it up, set everything to max and took the Beechjet for a fly:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183899.jpgYou don't need to add compatibility settings for 'Flight3.exe' or 'Fled.exe' - they seem to work as-is, as some of us knew from being able to copy it across...So, there it is - a neat way of installing FU3 on Vista. Coincidentally, it creates a set of images that you can burn as backups for your install CD set ;)It is also perfectly feasible to only copy the installation disc across and access the rest through the DVD drive, but it is so much s-l-o-w-e-r. I also wanted to be able to rerun it if it failed, a laborious process with CDs :-rollPS This was done on a new build of Vista Home Basic. No frills, no accessories, nothing to get in the way. Your mileage may vary ;)PPS The XP compatibilty mode doesn't seem to work on this PC. Vista spits and gags, then does nothing. The Win98SE one appears to work at first but never asked for the second CD *:-*PPPS Sorry, photos by Nokia...Post here if you need help :-waveJon Point

This sounds like the flip side of the war on terror. When flying for real I can't bring a goldfish in a plastic bag filled with water anymore since water equals liquid and liquids may be turned into explosives :-eek Microsoft is waging a war on rogue software (for dummies, that is). Out with the bathwater goes any good ol' programming code that wasn't specifically certified by MS in 2007/2008. It seems we may not need antivirus scanning or firewalls anymore since any exectuable that isn't listed in in the limited list of MS-approved apps will be prevented from doing its thing anyway. SuggestionThis is what we would want for Vista II:1) A default set-up that keeps my grandmother safe on the internet2) A global option of turning off the safety-for-dummies settings and put any savvy administrator back into the left seat. (MS don't you worry -- my grandmother won't know how to access this option anyway :-))Hans Petter

Guest fu3

Tell me about it!UAC will eventually stop asking but it takes a few goes and if you move the executable...I don't want to Vista-bash as it is OK to just 'use', and is mostly the same old OS ( NT>2K>XP> ) but with a different interface and some bizarre security settings. As nice as it would be to have a Win2K or XP style admin account, I think that most users are better off with the standard setup.I do say 'most users' because WE aren't average users. Not any more. 95%+ of all folks that use a computer are 'just' users. To these folks, the inner working don't matter - PC, Mac or Linux is all the same to them - with GUIs there is now no reason to ever need to understand command prompts or OS language.I know what you're thinking - it's the old "why do I have to learn how my car works when I only want to listen to the radio?" Many people I know that make good money using computers (graphic artists, architects, business managers) have no idea what's inside, creating a large and profitable business for those of us who do ;)It really does annoy me however when our beloved sim is affected by these things :-rollRegards,Jon Point

Guest curious982

I'm confused.Do you need a computer with Windows XP/95 to do this?:(

Guest fu3

Please read the whole post before asking questions!As said at the end of post, it was all done on a Vista PC (a Compaq Presario 731 notebook to be exact). No other PC is required. The method I described is the 'long' method but it creates a set of files that can be burned to CD and used for future installs if desired. I always implore people to backup their CDs and this method gives you a Vista-ready set ;)In any case, this was pretty easy to do. Just follow the instructions and try it yourself. If you aren't prepared to do these things yourself, then I suggest asking someone to teach you about copying files and burning CDs on PCs. I will post a 'short' version tonight for those that only want to create one new CD, but you still have to copy and burn it.:-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest curious982

Where's the short version? :-rotor

Guest fu3

Sorry, I had problems with some other things and this one kinda fell off :-rollI will put it together properly but it still involves copying one disk across first. To prove that it IS repeatable though, I have to do it again. I'm doing it as a download-able PDF too.Another day or two :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest curious982

:-wave Do you need to install FU3 on a windows XP computer first to do this? :-hmmm

Guest fu3

"Do you need to install FU3 on a windows XP computer first to do this?"No, not at all. You can, and just copy it across, but I wasn't satisfied with that :-lolAll you need to do is make the install executable Vista-compatible. This is easy enough to do, but as CDs cannot be re-written, one must first copy the first CD ("Installation disk") to the HD on your PC and set the compatibility setting on 'setup.exe' for Windows 2000. That's it!Once this is done, you can either run the install from there (using the rest of the CDs as normal but the copied files as the 'Installation disk') OR you can burn the files back to another CD.In the latter case, using the modified CD instead of the original 'Installation disk', you can reinstall any time on Vista ;)The reason for the 'long' version was to ensure that people backed-up their CDs :-rollRegards,Jon Point

Jon,This is the first time that I've seen your ugly mug on my PC screen. I'm still struggling to recover :-lol

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, I've seen worse. I saw a guy in the mirror this morning :-eek So, it seems that all it takes is to SET the compatibility of any EXE. While still constituting a hassle this means that (most) anything can run under Vista provided you choose to label it as "compatible". That sounds better than the MS sentry standing at the gate with an approved list and there's nothing you can do to overule his decisions. Hans Petter

Guest fu3

H-P,I only glance the mirror these days. Head attached? Good. Two eyes? Good. etc. If anything requires a closer look, I've become quite adept at blurring out the 'other' details :-lolChris,I'm shocked! You never saw this?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184874.jpgAnd here's when I was younger and even more ugly :-lolhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/184875.jpgAnyway, all this stark honesty out of the way, yes the Vista problems seem easily fixed. It's just that you have to edit the file and that means copying it from the CD.Must say that it goes well on Clare's notebook too - and it's only a Celeron (i.e. single core) CPU :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest CaptRolo

Nice Pic Jon; You still Ride??My Bike is stored for winter ,getting cabin fever.CaptRolo

Guest fu3

Captain,Yeah, but not much in the past few years. Thinking of getting out there again this season. Might even get a new bike - even though the old '360 is still a doddle to ride ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185315.jpgOh, and sorry guys - a bit self-indulgent and OT I know :-rollRegards,Jon Point

Guest MLMatthews

I have just installed FU3 having (sadly) retired my old Win 98 system and leapfrogged to a zippy laptop running Vista Ultimate.The install went OK, using your notes above, but I offer a couple of comments:1. I possessed a floppy containing the file FU3patch.exe. I can't remember why this was needed, but I copied it to an SD card and ran it anyway. It appeared to modify several files. FU3 still runs OK.2. If you want to get rid of those tiresome messages about giving Vista permission to continue, here's how:Click on each of these:Control Panel/User Accounts & Family Safety/User Accounts/Turn User Account Control on or off.Then uncheck the box.If other users have access to your system, then you might want to turn UAC back on later so that they cannot install software or make other changes to your system without your intervention (entering a password).