Sign in to follow this  
Guest ClanFevar

F2/F3 Crash In Flight Unlimited 3 (Custom Content)

Guest ClanFevar

Whenever I try to go into cockpit view (F2, F3), the game will crash. I used an backed up and clean version, and it was fine, then I put all my custom aircraft on it and it crashed. The thing is, it was fine, then it wasn't. I want help finding out which of these aircraft is causing the problem:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185703.jpgThanks for any ideas/help. :D

Guest fu3

It could me any one - if its corrupted. 1. Remove half the 'extra' ones and try again, noting which one(s) crash. 2. Switch to a standard plane e.g. Windhawk and set it for the F2 or F3 view. It shouldn't happen with the original LGS planes ;)I have even downloaded my own planes and got a corrupted resfile :-rollRegards,Jon Point

Guest ClanFevar

It happens to all the planes, even default. If I have to, I'll go threw that boring process. Just thought I'd come here to see if one has a rep for being corrupted in that way.

Guest fu3

"It happens to all the planes, even default."Well, it's not the planes then..." If I have to, I'll go threw that boring process. " Boring? Oh sorry, it's beneath you, is it? You wanna fix it, don't you? Sheesh! :-roll"Just thought I'd come here to see if one has a rep for being corrupted in that way."Yes, lots. Unfortunately, you'll have to be a bit more specific about a lot of things. So far, you've said the equivalent of "my car don't work" and "I don't want to look at it - it's boring". :-lol :-lol Obviously, you have installed or changed something (the game doesn't do this by itself), so what did you change or install, and when did the problem first occur? Hint: it's not planes, but its probably a package or airport. Again, what did you download?Regards,Jon Point

Guest ClanFevar

No, can't you read. I said I used a backup, it played fine, cockpit worked, then I just put all the planes in the Plnpile, and then none of the cockpits work. So one of the planes are corrupting the entire thing.

Guest fu3

Well, yes I can, but restoring the entire game from a backup isn't going to prove anything - except that it works when you replace EVERYTHING.Akin to 'my car won't run, but my neighbour's one starts OK'I do want to help you sort this, but as one of the many aircraft developers, you'll have to bear with me when I appear to ask stupid questions - I know how these things work ;)Now, did you try anything to fix it yet, like restoring the backup and only putting ONE new plane in there and trying that? That will tell me a lot...If putting ANY plane in there causes the problem, regardless of whether or not you select it, I've never heard of this problem before. You can corrupt a specific plane, but not ALL. And it won't crash the game unless you select THAT one. The reason you see, is that the planes are in compressed resfiles. The only way to trash them is open the resfile and stuff with it (i.e. Resviewer)..... or a zipfile crash during download.A number of people have had difficulties with this, myself included. The file downloads and unzips OK, but has some data missing (i.e. a few bytes less than it should have). Reasons? * Download managers (avoid or switch off as many sites and mirrors don't like them - DAP is a good example).* Zip irregularities - 'zip isn't zip' - there are many different programs that make and read zipfiles. I have found that Winzip files are sometimes rejected by Avsim. * I usually use Winace to create zipfiles - they always work ;) * I use a free program called 'jzip' as well, for unzipping as it's fast - Winace can take a long time to load. I do however recommend Winace, but you have to pay for it ;)* Anti-virus software can cause issues. I use AVG and it works well with Firefox (but causes problems with site download managers sometimes).Also, it may help to know what hardware you're running and if other programs are affected. For example, I had issues with an Nvidia card once that turned out to be some dodgy drivers I downloaded from the Nvidia developer's site. Fortunately I had another PC to prove it on. :-rollIf worst comes to worst (or if you want to try something else), send an email to:jonathanpointgmailcomand I'll email you some planes direct (files are 4-10Megs). I have done this for a few folks who had trouble with corrupted downloads. :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest ClanFevar

Rar. I tried the delete half, then the other, and even with half gone, it crashes, restore and delete others, still crashes. So it seems when I put one of the aircraft on, it corrupts my game. D:I'll see what I can do for now.

Guest fu3

This is weird *:-*Send me an email and I'll post you a plane, non-zipped. :-wavePS If you restore from a backup or copy files from the CDs, you can end-up with 'write-protected' files. It should be OK for aircraft resfiles to be read-only, but not a lot of game files. Select all the FU3 root folder files (and folders), right-click, hit 'properties' and click the 'read only' box on an off. Make sure it is off and hit 'apply'. If asked, click 'all files and folders' and hit OK.PPS Also, remove (i.e. delete) your 'flt3.cfg' file from the FU3 root folder and try that. Sometimes, strange settings in that can cause crashes.Regards,Jon Point

Guest ClanFevar

Alright I've found the problem I reckon.I reinstalled the game completely, then I changed the settings to my liking, then it crashed. So I put all the settings back to default, and it works! But it's ugly as ####. So what will be the fix for this? I don't want to play on these crappy settings. D:

Guest ClanFevar

Argh, scratch that. Crashes when I go from F5 to F3 back to F5. Then it crashes when I push J. O_O, my flight 3 is screwed.

Guest ClanFevar

I have patched it and still crashed.

Guest fu3

OK, I think it's restore time again :-rollBefore anything happens, I'd like to ask a few questions:1. Is the backup coming from a previous version (from another PC or drive)?2. Is the backup an unmodified version (patched is OK)?3. What is your video setup, has it changed recently or a new PC?The reason I ask is because I fear that there could be something amiss with the backup or video. I'm looking for non-obvious reasons as to why it only affects non-standard planes. * The standard planes are 'hard-coded' inside FU3 and every add-on plane has to have a couple of files modified to force FU3 to use the name of the aircraft, not one of the hard-coded ones - otherwise, tower calls you 'Windhawk' instead of 'Dash-8' etc. I wonder if the sim is only recognising the original planes because they are hard-coded elswhere? * Is the main executable damaged and is not responding properly to the aircraft calls? * Do you have 'extra' copies of files (backups?) sitting inside your FU3 root folder (on another thread here there was mention of using a memory analyser to see what FU3 was doing at startup; one thing it did seem to do was hunt everywhere for everything!)? I have had problems with 'extra' terrain maps being loaded, instead of the 'right' ones.* All that said, F2 and F3 are both 'non-3D' views, which means that no part of the aircraft shows, only the images loaded in the resfile. The outside 3D view is done in a window within this. This can put special demands on the video, and as Captain Rolo points out in another thread, you need to use 1024x768 to make FLED work at all. If your monitor cannot support this (don't be surprised, many cheaper LCDs can't at all), you can get a DirectX-induced CTD. It all depends somewhat on the video card setup.* I wonder if it only affects CPD-modified aircraft - this is one thing that ALL add-ons have in common - they were modified by CPD.exe. It has a few foibles - the Dash-8 for example. It just refuses whatsoever to create a new project or open old Dash-8 ones. It just crashes every time you try so I cannot modify the cockpit - and I built it in the first place :-( )? There is something fishy with the aircraft resfile, but nobody has ever reported any other issues, so it must be something only CPD knows about, or FU3 somehow works around it. ** Andre, any ideas??? ;) **Still, why only add-on planes? They have the same polygon limit, same texture limits, are usually larger files than originals (but not necessarily huge) and otherwise have to conform to the same requirements as the standard planes. Maybe it is cockpit or video related after all?Can you copy your 'flt3.cfg' file from FU3's root folder and paste it onto this thread? Maybe there is something there? Oh, and the video setup too ;):-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest ClanFevar

CFG:airport sfoopt_fair_weather_cumulus 1opt_cumuloform_population 103opt_black_box_space 103region sanfranshow_distant_mountains 1opt_distance_clipping 103opt_pilot_voice 3blackbox_autorec 1048576opt_video_resolution 2opt_cumuloform_variability 103opt_wind_accuracy 2opt_hw_acceleration 1opt_aircraft_density 103opt_BDensity 5turb_scale 103opt_terrain_detail 103opt_sun_moon_glare 1opt_perspective 1opt_sky_detail 2opt_fuel_cap 0opt_enhanced_cumulus 1opt_engine_torque 1opt_close_caption 0qf_loc_pos_x 0.qf_loc_poi opt_3dhw_last_hw 1tape_strip_outside 0plane Fokkerqf_loc_is_landing 0qf_loc_is_takeoff 0qf_loc_airport 74qf_loc_is_airport 1qf_loc_lat 0.0000000000000qf_loc_alt 0qf_loc_pos_y 0.qf_loc_pos_z 0.cam_mode 1qf_loc_lon 0.0000000000000qf_loc_runway 0PC Setup:Manufacturer: AtechProcessor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)Memory: 3072MB RAMHard Drive: 500 GBVideo Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MBMonitor: 22 Inch AOCSound Card: Sound Blaster ProSpeakers/Headphones: LogitechKeyboard: Is ####Mouse: Gigabyte LaserMouse Surface: DeskOperating System: Windows XP Professional