Sign in to follow this  
agtim

Virtual Cockpit sliding axles

The AN-2 virtual cockpit was a incredible amount of work, lots of details and pictures to create and adjust. Unfortunately the landing lights are not shown, even visible in F5 but not in F4.Here is a first shot of the F4 view.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185824.jpgIt was not possible to get the pedals working using sliding axles !?They work on other plane, but not here.This is a part of the BSP logroot mesh24: s(@s07flp -> @x07LL0000) s(@s10flp -> @x10LU0000) s(@s05ail -> @x05LU0000) h(@h01laliL 1) s(@s00RKS -> @x00Co3010) s(@s15RST -> @x15RKS404) s(@s00LKS -> @x00Co3010) s(@s06LST -> @x06LKS404) h(@h31head 31) h(@h01laliR 1) s(@s03P2d -> @z03Pa0099)The axle is @z03Pa0099 assigned to the pedal P2d. The axle is attached at the front panel Panel.If I replace the z by x then the pedal is rotating but sliding will not work. Well it's my first sliding axle :-) may be I just do something wrong.Here are views from the definition in Anim8orhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185822.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185823.jpgThanks for info:-wave Andre

Guest fu3

Andre,That's nifty. I always get into trouble with linked axles - couldn't make the Dash-8's gear fold, no matter what I did :-rollThere is a trick to what you are trying to do - the cockpit axle file. It should be 6 bytes and immediately below the aircraft axle file (22 bytes) in the resfile. I am sorry if I didn't already tell you about it. I discovered it on the Blanik.Being only 6 bytes, this explains why the instruments don't work! From the Beechjet build script...>> The "normal" axle part:Rendering descriptor// Each pair describes an "axle", or moving part// The first number is the number of pieces of this type// The second number is the axle (or hinge) number in the modelRES RendDesc BIN INLINE NONCOMPOUND// elevators (2, starting at model axle 0)byte 2 byte 0// rudderbyte 2 byte 2// aileronbyte 2 byte 8// flapsbyte 2 byte 10// landing gearbyte 3 byte 12// propellerbyte 1 byte 0// stringsbyte 0 byte 0// smokebyte 1 byte 0// reverse thrustersbyte 4 byte 4// domebyte 0 byte 0// spoilersbyte 0 byte 0ENDAnd, immediately below it, the cockpit axle part...// Cockpit descriptorRES CockpitDesc BIN INLINE NONCOMPOUND// Each pair describes an "axle", or moving part// The first number is the number of pieces of this type// The second number is the axle (or hinge) number in the model// rotating shafts (elevators)byte 2 byte 10// shifting shafts (ailerons)byte 2 byte 12// rudder pedalsbyte 4 byte 16Note that the type of axle is predetermined in the script. I assume that you can only use rudder pedals with sliding shafts? Also, what is a 'shifting' shaft? I thought that both aileron and elevators used rotating shafts...In the D17S, the axles are set in file 98 as:elevators - 1 axle at 13 hex (i.e. 19 decimal)ailerons - 2 axles at 14 hex (20 decimal)pedals - 4 axles at 1C hex (28 decimal)In this case, the aileron shafts are definitely rotating, so are the elevators. BTW, I didn't use them as I hate bad virtual cockpits :-lol* To work, the cockpit axles must not share addresses with other axles (I think).* They are only visible in the F4 view.I am really sorry for not commenting earlier, I sorta misunderstood what the problem was. In my experience, every axle function works in every aircraft - apart from smoke and strings (which work in none). Playing with the castor oil-soaked DR-1, I think some smoke would be good. Many FU3 planes come with entries and 'axles' for it, but none work. Same goes for the string fitted to the S10.:-wave Regards,Jon Point

Hi Jon,Thanks for info - even if late :-)That way I learned to make a more complex rotating system :-)I will add entry forms in ResViewer for this axle settings so this will be automatically documented inside ResViewer.There are strange behavior of axles and callback @v functions.I have used same axle name for plane and cockpit and it is working because some flaps and the tail is not in the cockpit model so reuse was possible. I have tried to see the landing lights from the wing. This is not working and there are never lights in LG virtual cockpits - but the Vigilant has lights on the wing in F4. So I load my AN-2 cockpit model into the Vigilant and looks for landing lights.First there was no lights working (defined as @h01FR, @h01FL but in the dark I detect the working head light of the Vigilant in my AN-2 F4 view ! The position of this light was taken from the flying model of the Vigilant and displayed in my AN-2 cockpit view !Vigilant nav lights are visible in cockpit view only and not in the F5 view. I think they has the same name than the nav lights in the cockpit and so the callback function is done for one view only. I have defined different names for the nav lights callback objects and now they are visible in all AN-2 views, but in cockpit view they are not switchable.@v11 nothing@v12 nothing@v13 red nav light unswitched@v14 green nav light unswitched@v15 white light unswitchedmay be there are another binary chunk to define switches :-):-waveAndre

Guest fu3

Andre,"@v11 nothing@v12 nothing@v13 red nav light unswitched@v14 green nav light unswitched@v15 white light unswitched"Did you create NEW definitions for these, or did you 'find' them? The only nav lights I knew of were @v04 and @v05. I think I used @v15 once but maybe not.Getting the lights visible in the F4 view is often hampered by the renderer. I am considering doing the DR1 F4 model double-size - when you 'look' down into the cockpit, you can see through the sides at certain angles. Also, the struts and guns disappear now and then :-roll Honestly, I find F4 views very frustrating ;)BTW, in the F2 & F3 views, I just show the nav lights in the night views - they don't switch either.Regards,Jon Point

Jon,I have found this by creating all combinations - I wanted the landing lights but they are only displayed in F1 F2-front-only may be F3 and outside views F5 ... but never in F4.and yes I find F4 views very frustrating also, even in Janes Attack Squadron. The F4 of the Vigilant looks nice and its the only one with lights.I will try to work out more for F2,F3 and F4 I have tried to display the prop in F4 but no chance - it works just in F11 as long the plane don't move :-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186438.jpg:-waveAndre