Sign in to follow this  
agtim

ResViewer 2.1 beta version

I'm drifting off-topic now but are you saying that the various language versions of FU3 come with different aircraft? If so, what's the point to assembling polygons and textures in a different way for different versions? The only thing I can think of is that some early versions were shipped with models that were refined for later versions.I never really understood the FU3 language versions since the voices are American for either one.Hans Petter

Guest fu3

H-P,The differences are for language differences (the source files for the description would be slightly different lengths - the Fokker's are 1 byte different). I don't know what else would be different, if the voices are the same.Don't forget that LGS didn't have Resviewer(!) and that, in the right environment, it would be just as easy to compile the entire resfile for each edit. The cockpits were done likewise, laid out with coordinates, not WYSIWYG like CPD (they probably had the unedited version displayed on the far left or right 51cm monitor...). Assuming that all of the scripts are in place, it's just a matter of typing the right command at the prompt, and a new plane is compiled very quickly.Also, it's fair to assume that this "environment" probably included some flash workstations and a serious bit of grunt (i.e. SGI) to support what was required. No wonder it so easy to build a program that required performance not available to the average user for 8 years ;)We actually have the scripts and 'build' files for the Renegade and the Beechjet - or, we could export the bitmaps, palettes, wavefiles and 3D models out of an existing plane, and use them, together with the 'build' resources to compile our own resfiles - if we have the right 'environment' to drive it. Theoretically, were we 'bien inform

Hi Jon,Combination of CTD and ResViewer is very far (light years...)Deleting / adding and resizing of files and items is one of the next targets in ResViewer 2.xResViewer is handling items one by one.CTD is loading all cockpit items and then working with it.This is very different in structure and sequences.:-waveAndre

Hi Hans Petter,Sound is still English in the German version ( as all international air traffic is in English ) but all menus and screens for settings are translated in German, not to forget the wonderful handbook of FU2 in German and the modest one for FU3 - even FU1 has a nice German handbook.LG developer used command line tools to build the game and there was a very high time pressure :-(. The English version was made first and then the German one, meanwhile with changes to the planes.:-waveAndre

Guest fu3

I know, I was just being silly! Question is, how hard would it be to do what the new Resviewer does (i.e. edit hex files nicely and quickly), but with cockpit resources? Rather than modify CPD to place the GPS and other 'glass' instruments (that would be nice), maybe we could just make it easier to edit the instrument hexfiles in Resviewer? Only really for the 'impossible' instruments - too many for each type, we can use CPD for them). Back to the 'compiling resfiles from scratch' thing, couldn't we simply insert the relevant hexfiles from the Beechjet into other aircraft? The 'only' ones needed would be the 'glass' instruments themselves, AND the ability to add instrument definitions to each panel hexfile. Doing this all manually made me give up :-roll Also, if we could insert these files into a Baron or Mooney base, we'd get around the Beechjet "CTD after CPD" problem for other planes.I'd love to put the GPS into the S6 (on an extra view...) :-waveRegards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

"The English version was made first and then the German one, meanwhile with changes to the planes."So, apart from the differences we've seen so far, I wonder if the other German aircraft might have some 'fixes' or differences that affect editability? Ansgar's 747, based on the Beechjet, does not suffer the CTD's that Andre's and my projects do. Ansgar always said that apart from a little hex editing, he only used CPD.Just an idea :-rollRegards,Jon Point

The only modification I made was an update of a instrument picture of the same size as replacement. It has to be loaded at 2 or 3 sub items of different files ( day, night, light on)The complexity of the cockpit objects are the dispersed placement into the res file. To do this CPD must be analyzed first then we must be able to insert files and sub items into a res file and not just at the end of it as done by the air physic import.:-waveAndre

When you use Ansgar's 747 as base for another plane then the problems will disappear if this is the case. There are still problems on the DC3 plane. When you touch some instruments at the bottom of the screen FU3 will crash.The problems with the Hunter is: it's unfinished. There is just F3 view working and few changes at the air physic. So there are 1 engine in F3 but 4 engines in F2 and this is very unstableI don't have crashes with the AN-2 :-), F2 and F4 view finished and F3 still under construction as the sound part also.:-waveAndre

The player sound definitions are complex. There are a lot of fields and the structure is different for single engine and twins. It's a lot to display in the window and the window will not scroll !?!You must shift the right border to see all fields.The length of the binary file can be 170 / 178 for single engine and 178 for twin engine planes. May be there are more than this.Idle state sound is for single engine only. This will change the structure then there are 17 sounds for single engine planes and 21 for twin engine planes - using 4 bytes less !Actually it is not possible to hear the sound in this form. You have to search the sound file for the displayed ID e.g. 26005. This are the screens of the 2 file versions.http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/ResViewer/playersnddef1.jpghttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/ResViewer/playersnddef2.jpg:-waveAndre

After a rainy afternoon we have now sound button on the right of the res id entry of all sounds, so you can check your selection directly inside the Player Sound Definition form.http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/ResViewer/playersnddef3.jpghttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/ResViewer/playersnddef4.jpgYou will find the new version 2.2 herehttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/ResViewer.html:-waveAndre

Guest fu3

Andre,Thankyou very much for this revision - you know it is one of my pet hates ;)I am now doing the F4 view for the Fokker - my first attempt at a virtual cockpit. Only problem is, many parts are not showing in the game. I built an internal tube frame, just as in the real cockpit, but when you pan around with the views, parts disappear :-grrI tried rescaling the entire 3D model to 2x size but it made no difference. The problem seems to be that the viewer is trying to retain the background texture. When I replace the tube texture with RGB, they ALL disappear :-(If I switch 'perspective' off, it doesn't do it, but who flies without perspective? The only answer is probably to cut out the 'behind' polygons and blend the tubes into the cockpit box.Regards,Jon Point

Yes the F4 is a pain :-(. I had to delete all glass window to see all parts of the wing of the AN-2. Transparency does fancy things.The rear cabin view in F4 hiding the rear plane part at the wrong place and the flight stick can disappear into the front panel :-(Try to place Head31 to another place.:-waveAndre