Sign in to follow this  
Guest C-130

Graphics are very weird

Guest C-130

Hi all. it has been a while. Since I got my new machine FU3 has totally not worked correctly. Firstly when I turn on graphic aceleration things go all weird. Shot come.In case we do not remeber me. i was colsie123 (account got deleted so had to re register). Happy new year. Since i have not had a chance to sya that yet.

Guest fu3

Colin,Hadn't heard from you for a while!Whenever you get problems with acceleration turned on, it is usually a video driver or DirectX problem. If other (old) games seem to work properly, just run 'dxdiag.exe' on your PC and make sure that it doesn't give errors. Unsigned drivers are OK, but any real problems need to be sorted out. Just type 'dxdiag' (without quotes) at the 'Run' prompt.A number of years ago, I pulled out the old Nvidia card and put in a new ATI, making sure to reset the video to default first. After installation, everything worked fine until I ran MCM2, or FU3, or any other game that DirectX - they all just crashed :-(I then reinstalled DirectX (after downloading the latest compatible version) and it's worked fine ever since. Bear in mind that I am running XPSP2 & DX9C, not DX10. Other users with DX10 on Vista have reported no problems and indeed it works fine on Clare's laptop under DX10 - even with the cra**y Intel video chipset - not as pretty as the ATI, but it work under acceleration on FU3 ;)One trick may be that if you are using an older card, you maybe should use the version of DirectX it was designed for. This was the problem with my old Nvidia card, which was designed for DX8, but some newer games needed DX9, so I upgraded. The Nvidia card was weird with DX9. Like, it loaded OK, but the buildings used to take on the car textures in WRC *:-* Regards,Jon Point

Guest C-130

Hey FU3, nice to hear from you again. Good to be back here.Well I have an ATI X1650. Vista (unfortunately). Most older games work. To my knowledge I have DX-9 installed, but, a bit of investigating may prove me wrong.

Guest fu3

Colin,1. Did you run the 'dxdiag' test OK?2. Are you using an LCD monitor with a non-4:3 aspect ratio (i.e. 1600x1200 is OK, 1600x900 is not)? Although my laptop's Intel chipset just stretches it to fit 1600X900, some people have reported major problems with different native resolutions. The solution for some is to deliberately set the desktop to 1024x768 (with a black line down each side).I am not sure if you can run FU3 in a window in Vista Pro (doesn't seem to work properly in Vista Home Basic but there's no multi-threading), but I'm sure I saw someone post a shot of it somewhere ;)Regards,Jon Point

Guest flight_unlimited_3

buy a graphics card that supports DIRECTX 8 or higher.

Guest fu3

I would think that the X1650 should be OK, but don't quote me. It is a fairly new card, and would easily support DX8. I was using a 9800XT which is even older and it worked fine until... It died on the weekend, after a few years of good service, due to the fan stopping and the chip overheating - watch those vid card fans :-eekAnyway, every time that I've had issues with video cards and FU3, I have always found that the system fails the DX test (dxdiag.exe).As I mentioned before, I have had DX corruption after updating a card, but I also had problems with my first FU3 install many years ago. The PC (which seemed to otherwise work OK) had an SIS620 on-board video, and it's drivers were not working properly with DX8. After downloading newer drivers, finally dxdiag (it existed even then) gave a clean bill of health and FU3 started working with acceleration turned on ;)Regards,Jon Point

Guest CaptRolo

I have ATI radion 1650 ,512, PCI_express Works fine with all settings full on .Get latest catalyst drivers 8.4 .Do a complete uninstall of old drivers first CaptRolo