Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3

Channel Islands at night...

Thanks Jon :-)The lights look great. I remember there used to be a problem adding lights to new regions. What exactly was the problem and what was the solution? All we need now is some overtexturing around the airports and some UK buildings. Where's Driscoll?Hans Petter

Guest fu3

No problems here - there's only 8x8 tiles ;)I just did these by hand as the areas were small and colour masking kept picking-up the shorelines and waves.The ones in the zip were a first try. I have since done some more playing around as there were quite a few rogue lights (me mistaking cliff-tops for houses...). This was because I was working from down-sized maps. I am now painting over 4096x4096 maps which is much easier! I will upload them as a 'real' upload soon.Do you still want my corrected day tiles?Yes, some UK buildings would be nice. I was thinking of doing-up an airport - maybe Alderney? It seems to need some flattening.Regards,Jon Point

Jon,I've concluded the automated system is unworkable except as a very quick solution, which as you say can pick up all sorts or erroneous stuff... A better way is to select the areas in the day maps you want light in, then paste in a matrix. More instructions when I finally get the documentation sorted out.:-roll And yes, I would still like to see your n2's so I can try to find your "globbies" and get a better result. May be best to send them on CD?Hans,We didn't have the ability to generate light maps, as we didn't understand the file format, and didn't have a tool to do the job.We now have LightGen2 (LG2?) which can decipher existing tiles, allow changes and then rebuild the bin files. Likewise you can create brand new tiles for new regions. I haven't released it generally yet because my beta tester (Jon) has not been happy with the very low res results. But hopefully that will get sorted soon, and we can all build our own lights.There is an inherent problem in FU3 whereby it will not generate the light maps properly for tile rows or columns over az. Which means most of UKS will be dark, unless someone rebuilds the tiles with different names. Big job, and probably not worth the effort.Even so, a fair slice to the north east will probably still be black ;( CheersBruce H:-wave