Sign in to follow this  

I tried to quit posting, but these antelope showed up

The aerial shot shows my house. The antelope photo was taken from behind the juniper circled in the aerial photo.23 were grazing in "my pasture", and I took all kinds of "long" digital shots. It's very hard to get within 100 yds. of antelope. They went over the ridge to the north, and I snuck down behind the juniper, in case they came back. Six did, including the big buck. But, the shot below was the very last in the digital memory. They continued and walked right on by the juniper, only 10 feet away until the third one saw me and they spooked. But, I got no more closeups than this. :-(Dan Pursel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dan:Wouldn't you have had a better shot say, with a 222 or 22 Hornet?Doc Bryant :-hah

I've got a Remington model 700 composite stock fluted stainless barrel in 308 to play Joe :-cool at the target range. Maybe a little overkill for Pronghorn, let alone praire dogs.Actually, Pronghorns are my favorite animal (after my Lab mix "Sally"), and I couldn't shoot one. :)I couldn't find my 10x50 binocs. Thought about taking the bolt out of the 308 varminter and using the 6-20x50 scope.But, probably some newby from Calif. would see me and call the sheriff.Measured Deputy response time in my square mile averages 42 minutes (VERY big county).Dan Pursel

Dan:After you center punch one in the family car, they become very easy to dispatch. And with a 42 minute response time, a fellow handy with a cutting tool could have dinner hanging to season in the family garage with no one the wiser.Saturday night's topic of discussion was how to best to serve exotic game. Somehow I expect to be presented with the back strap of an axis deer or red deer rather soon.We have mule deer moving in to our county. Already a few have been clobbered by motorists at night. Both vehicle and mule deer worse for wear. So I am all in favor of potting the one or two that I think might try impaling an Impala or submerging a Subaru.Doc Bryant

Speaking of "center punching".... You all know of the Californian migration to Oregon and the proverbial sign at the state's borders that basically says, "We beat you here, all filled up, go home"???Well, in northeastern Oregon, with those that did succeed in getting there before the signs (LOL), they apparently have a yardstick against which you are measured as a "local" or not. In the Baker City, Richland and Halfway areas, you are not considered a local until you have "center punched" a deer.Both my mother and father have succeeded in becoming "locals". :-lolCostly membership fee, if you ask me. :)

>Both my mother and father have succeeded in becoming "locals". :-lol Life for locals in the west is just plain tough all around with the CA influx.Last week we drove out to Doreen's Backstreet Bar for longnecks and burgers. (next to the 5 acre auto salvage lot).Parked my GMC full-size along with 17 other dusty pickups. (OK, 2 pickups were mid-size, plus a dinged-up '66 Mustang).But, there was a *#@*%@^% panty-waist Suburu 4wd station wagon, bold as brass, and CLEAN. The outsiders are moving in fast and ruinatin' the culture.Next thing folks will taking off their cowboy hats or ball caps to eat. :-lolDan Pursel

Dan:Did you check and see if the Suby was not right hand drive, and therefore the property of the rural delivery postman?Taking off your hat to eat is a sign of culture, not location. I can remember being greeted with "Were you born in a barn or a sawmill? Close the door and take off your hat."And of course, in the service, we took off our hats indoors.Worst thing about the Californians moving in, they drive up the property values and want the place to be like the one they left. With taxes rises to the level of the place they left. Then they complain. Hullooooo? Is the clueless light lit?Doc :+