Sign in to follow this  
David_FFC

POLL: High or Low Wing Preference ?

Don't recall this debated before, but then, I've not been here quite as long as some of you. I realize this is mostly a single engine aircraft question, since most 2-engine GA aircraft are low wing. But, given the choice, there may be some ME-rated folks who would like a high wing twin, and have flown them.POLL: Whether Sim or Real, do you prefer High or Low Wing aircraft?-- I like low wing for fueling/checking fuel.-- Better sky visibility.-- I guess celestial navigation would be a little easier, too.-- I like the high wing for ground visibility. During training a month ago, I saw an oncoming aircraft's ground shadow easily, and could quickly deduce where it had to be - around 11 o'clock, and not far from my altitude, but not sure how much different. Then I saw it not far below me somewhat in the sun's glare (early morning). Don't think I would have seen the shadow with a low wing. As it was I got an early warning. Safety-wise, I'd be interested in knowing of anyone's stories saying they "were glad they had a low/high wing one day because ...". I'm sure there're pro's and con's either way. I just haven't heard many of either yet.-- No fuel pumps to worry about.-- Also, there's little more shade while flying.-- You can make a taller tent at a fly-in.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dave:I have always preferred low wing. I feel less hemmed in. Unless it's a Herk, then I have to turn around to see the wings/engines.Doc Bryant

Dave, sounds like you hit pretty much all the advantages and disadvantages of both.For slow sight-seeing, I prefer high-wing and it is nice to not have to worry about fuel pumps.But for pretty much anything else, I prefer low-wing.

Dave:I am somewhat belated in replying to your query, but as a 32-year CFI, and ME pilot, I have flown many different singles and twins, both low wing and high wing. I have owned and prefer the Rockwell AeroCommander twins (high wing) for the following reasons:1. Visibility - the pilot sits forward of the wing and can see both up, down and all around.2. The main gear is clearly visible when down and locked and the nose gear is visible in the engine spinner. There is no excuse for a gear- up landing.3. If you do have to land gear-up, you don't have to overhaul/replace the engines - damage is limited lower body work and nose gear.4. Because the engines are well off the ground, there is little chance of rocks being kicked up into the prop; this and the low stall speed make it ideal for dirt strip landings (I used to operate on/off dirt roads on friends ranch's and farms).6. The rudder is much larger and much more effective in an engine-out situation.7. The pilot and cabin seating is much more comfortable and bearable for long flights.8. The plane is very stable and an excellent instrument platform.Finally, as an old C-130 pilot compatriot of mine used to say:"God didn't put wings on a birds stomach!"