Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

What happened to the word NEW by the posts?

Scott, Tom? What happened to that indicator about NEW postings within a thread or a new thread that I have not seen? Also, I took the plunge and ordered a Voodoo 5 and it is on the way to my place via UPS. I am going to give it a try in my old AMD K6-3 450 MHz machine in place of the Banshee that I bought when I first got PP99. I want to see the anti-aliasing and check out the frame rates.I also want to see what it does with MSFS 2002 for details and frame rates. This of course is based on the differences I would expect from dual video processors and 4 times the video memory that I have today in the Banshee.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jerry:I have ordered a similar card, but to use in the back up Athlon 1.4 Tbird I am building this week. I do not think it will be used in MSFS, but I could see it being tried out in Train Sim. :-kewlDoc Bryant

Jerry, do you have your threads expanded? All new replys to the original post in a thread do carry the yellow NEW flag. If the threads are collapsed, all you'll see are the one icon, being colored if it is new or the thread contains new messages. But the NEW flag is indeed still there, as it was parked next to Doc's reply when I popped in here. If you do have your threads expanded and don't see the NEW flag, contact Scott B, as I'd be lost at that point.The Voodoo 5 card does work with FS2002, but you have to get a bit tricky with some settings, I believe. I do have the card and FS2002 Pro, but haven't done the trickery yet. I'm waiting for instructions from one of a couple of the Flight Unlimited crowd (who also use FS2002, obviously). Without setting things up right, you can wind up with aircraft that are FULLY chrome, tires and all. But it's all fixable, and I'll send you all info as I get it.Congratulations (to Doc too) on getting a Voodoo 5 card. Whether supporting ProPilot 99, or Grand Prix Legends, or whatever else runs either better in Glide or ONLY in Glide, the few Voodoo 5 cards remaining on the market are probably the final opportunity to have decent Glide support. When I built this new system, I pondered what card to get, and was indeed drawn to the GeForce line. However... GeForce cards will be available in a year's time, Voodoo cards likely will not. So that's why I bought mine, I didn't want to desire one a year from now and find they are no more.That Tyan motherboard you recommended to me some time back served me well, Jerry. But I never did get an AMD K6-2 or -3 for it, and finally got a tetch tired of 233 MHz. It survives as a back-up machine, and will soon be networked to my new pride and joy, this Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 megs RAM and the Voodoo card. My, what a change! Thanks again for your help with that Tyan, I surely appreciated it.~Bob~http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif

The NEW is visible next to all these posts. I guess we were just being quiet, therefore no NEW words were visible. My threads are expanded, not to worry.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry, they ARE visible from here in Korea, and that is a fair squint, I have to tell you. :-lol

>... from here in Korea, ...I see you decided to take matters into your own hands, and went to Pan Mun Jom to straighten out the North Koreans (or better yet, maybe Pyong Yang ) ?Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Dave:If he's replying from Pyeongyang, it's going to be a busy place indeed with Lim Don-Won, the South Korean President's top advisor also popping in for a quick visit.The North Koreans do not like to visit Panmunjeom, as they see that site as a large symbol of the division of the two Koreas.Break out the kimchi and spam, maybe I'll drop in too!Doc Bryant

I can safely say that once I woke up this morning in Seoul, I headed in exactly the opposite direction... :)

Just as long as you dodged the locals in their trucks. Talk about crazy driving. They put Boston drivers to shame!Doc Bryant

I was driven by one for five hours total round trip today (and picked up at the airport last night by the same guy). I have added copious amounts of gray hair this day and my brake foot and his floorboard will never be the same... :-lol

...courtesy of the US Army. I would imagine it has changed quite a bit since then. I have no desire to see it again, but since my new job is involved in international sales, well...who knows?Yobo-sayo!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>I was driven by one for five hours total round trip today >(and picked up at the airport last night by the same guy). I >have added copious amounts of gray hair this day and my >brake foot and his floorboard will never be the same... >:-lol I loved driving there (for 2 years), once I figured out the rules, which didn't take long at all.Rules are pretty much the same as the US, except :-- when the road is marked for 4 lanes of traffic in one direction, 4 the other, cars will stay in lanes (no weaving); HOWEVER, once you stop at an intersection, all lane markings are to be ignored, and as many cars as possible will line up at the light (6 or 7 abreast in one direction, likewise for the other direction). Once the light turns green, procede thru intersection and sort out the lanes as you progress.-- on a similar road, once snow covers the road enough so you cannot see the markings, it is okay to have 7 lanes of traffic go in one direction, and just 1 lane in the other (man, was THAT a mess!!!).-- if it's behind you, it does not matter.-- if you can get just 1 inch of your car into the next lane ahead of a car along side you, they will back off (amazingly, this happened over and over -- I guess they just didn't want to scratch their car).-- expect anything at any time, and you'll be just fine (unlike the US, where MOST of the time there are no surprises. In Korea, you get surprised all the time, to the point where it becomes normal, and you expect it).I only saw ONE car wreck in 2 years of driving in Seoul. ONE !!! AND it was only a minor fender bender, following too close, at about 5 mph. That doesn't mean there were not any collisions, because I lived across the street from a repair shop, and they were always Bondo'ing something. But here in ATL, and I know it's the same across the US, I'll drive by several car wrecks per year. The key really was to expect anything. Simply Amazing.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Sounds like driving in Boston! :-lolSeriously, I think you are right. Exiting the toll booths with sixteen lanes going down to 4 is also a treat right from heaven. Found out that on departure from the toll booth that closing my eyes did not make the 15 other cars converging on the same spot in the road go away. We made it, but I am still convinced that I aged two years in that five hour drive. :-lol

Jerry, you won't recognize the place. I first came to Korea in 1983. It has changed beyond belief just since then. You may night like it compared to the Korea you knew. It does take a bit of getting used to.

>Exiting the toll booths with sixteen lanes going down to 4 is also a >treat right from heaven.Ah, yes ... the toll booth races ! There was a 4-lane divided "interstate" connecting Seoul with Osan to the south when I was there. Travelled that only once, sometimes twice a month at the most -- forgot about that. Did you happen to notice on some of the straighter stretches of the highways that there were aircraft approach markers, with small parking lots near those markers off to the side of the road ? I don't know if the road to the newer Seoul airport has them, but I know they existed on the hwy to Osan and a few other places. In case they need extra airstrips in wartime they commandeer the roads. Something that's harder to recognize (if you're not looking for them) are the billboards in the same areas which, once the billboards are "lowered", reveal a little booth - presto, instant control tower!!!Both North and South have them.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

No hadn't noticed them, but will keep an eye peeled now. Check the General forum where I have posted an image of downtown shot this morning. :)

jerry,your killing me. got a vodoo 5 5500apg you can have. just trade me for flight unlimited 2. no, how bought longbow 11. god, i love that one. how the hell is tenn????beersjohn stewartorlando flbtw, got a pent 3 733 will give you to

John:I just bought a Voodoo V series and installed it on the new computer that replaces my old Gateway Cow P233. Gave the Cow to Flat Earth Baptist College for use as an email machine.Now I can run PP99 on one machine and Microsoft Train Sim on the other. I have not tried Longbow. I might have to just for the laugh value.Doc Bryant

John,Right now, I am in Longwood, Florida visiting my mom. I will see what I can do about the FUII. Is that the software you gave me once upon a time?I was down at the Lakeland airport today at Sun-N-Fun. Kermit Weeks Spirit of St. Louis replica flew in at 11 AM this morning. I snapped a few pix. I got up beside it later when it was parked on the ramp. The inside is a good copy of the one hanging in the Smithsonian and the one(s) that I saw in the Jimmy Stewart movie. One of those two Spirit replicas survives today at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The other one was destroyed in a warehouse fire a number of years ago. The EAA also has one, but it does not have all the extra fuel tanks like the Kermit Weeks replica has.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Sign in to follow this