Sign in to follow this  

Police have a lucky escape

Hi folks,I really didn't know where to post this but thought of here because of the humour and satircal side of things, plus the freindly atmosphere here...although this isn't humourous or could it be?This was a while ago but heard it now...------------------------------------------------------"Item in Berwickshire Gazette, Scotland A report has revealed that two traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident whilst checking for speeding motorists on the A1 road between Oldhamstocks and Grantshouse. Last May, they were using a hand-held radar device to trap unwary motorists on the Edinburgh to London trunk road. One of the unnamed officers used the device to check the speed of an approaching vehicle, and was surprised to find that his target had registered a speed in excess of 300 miles per hour. The

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

They were lucky it was not an Astin-Martin with one very well known Double O agent aboard. Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN. ;)

If that agent were in a Lotus, the constables could watch it grind to a very expensive halt, fluids exhaling.Doc Bryant

Hey Doc, sounds like you have had a wonderful first-hand experience.Way back when, GM bought Lotus. Around came this flyer about a wonderful employe discount on the Lotus supercar.A bunch of us got excited. You could drive one for a year, and wholesale it and break even.Then the catch sank in. YOU had to care for IT for that WHOLE year. :~PDan PurselPS"Employe" is not mis-spelled, but is proper GM speak.Many, MANY years ago a GM employee convinced the company that leaving off the redundant "e" would save money.Honest, could I possibly make this up ?

Dan:There is a famed Eastern railroad that spells "empty" as "emt".Experience includes XKE Jaguar, MG-TD, MGA, MGB, Triumph Spitfire Mk IV, and GT6, Lotus Elan and Europa. And I did not own a one of them. Either other family members or friends who brought them by for communal crying sessions or serious maintainence.Doc Bryant

LOL! :)I was so close to adding something similiar as by line to the post:)RegardsDave

Dave:I guess the Dutch have modified the hell out of their Sidewinders! Although I remember some F-102 drivers used the infra red homing Falcons to target VC campfires in no man's land outside Da Nang when the Delta Daggers were deployed in country. And to pick another nit, when did the Dutch buy Tornados? I thought they were used only by the Brits, Italians, Germans and the Royal Saudi Air Force. Oh never mind on the last one, probably an exchange pilot doing a tour to see how the other half lives.Another fun trick, depending on what kind of radar set you have available, aim down the active runway towards arriving or departing a/c, and watch the display go wild on takeoff or rollout. The civilian planes won't know you are greasing him. And few military a/c will have turned on their countermeasures equipment when they leave the last chance pad. They wait to practice switchology until they have assumed the zoom!The US Navy bought up the entire stock on hand of the Whistler Q-1000 radar detector (that firm long out of business) for use in F-14's. The Q-1000 was very good at picking up Soviet bloc aircraft radars. And it came with a neat dash mounting kit.Doc Bryant :+

>Experience includes XKE Jaguar, MG-TD, MGA, MGB, Triumph Spitfire Mk IV, and GT6, Lotus Elan and Europa.>And I did not own a one of them. Either other family members or friends who brought them by for communal crying sessions>or serious maintainence.You got a lot of the major British BS covered. ;)After I quit crewing on a "pro" road-race team in the early '70's, a work friend convinced me to help him build a Sunbeam Alpine Tiger V-8 IMSA endurance racer as his first "driver venture". IMSA wouldn't allow it to run at Sebring, etc., so he left it as the Brit 4-banger. We built a wonderful F-Production car (still racing 28 years later).What a trash engine. I spent Tue. nights after each race changing the rod bearings.Or, you could not do it and just watch the rods exit the side of the block next time out. Never trust a culture that named an major engine part the "gudgeon pin".Is this the true origin of "you can pay me now or ......" ?Dan PurselPS What about Brit bikes. :-8My first race bike was '66 BSA Victor 441cc 4-stroke single with Lucas electrics.If I had a buck for every kick-stroke I could give my pension & 401(k) to the kids right now.

Dan:And my younger brother has a Berkley! Until last year, I used to talk with a fellow who raced a Jeanette.Another friend transplanted a 289 Fomoco into an Austin Healy. He called it a "Feely." Car attempted to snuff him more than once. One of those vehicles you had to be drunk to drive, but sober to control. I think he was for the most part, the former.The guy down the street had a Tiger. He truly did remind me of Agent 86. But the Sunbeam never did grace our driveway.And bikes, ohh, for the Norton Commandos, Triumph Tridents and others of that ilk that also oozed fluids upon the tarmac. We used to play a slightly modified version of polo, astride bikes of all displacement welcome, using croquet mallets. That stopped when one of the neighborhood 'toffs went through the wood fence on a Honda 350 4 stroke dirt bike. Beautiful bike, rider dumber than a box of rocks. He should have known not to play a fellow's game on his own turf. All mothers involved were more upset than the participants. I am happy to say though that not once at the family dinner table was the destruction of the greenery ever mentioned. At least not after my mother, in attempting to learn to ride the smaller motorbikes, centerpunched the garage door. That event marked both the alpha and the omega of her riding days.Doc Bryant :+

They were really lucky that it was an air to air heat seaking sidewinder, and not an air to ground radar missle.

Hi Doc,Yes, I don't know the full details but the Tornado Aircraft is aparently tweaked different in many ways throughout it's NATO usage depending on the Airforce using it. Those constables were lucky alright, it was a radar seeking missile but I believe from other reports of this incident it didn't actually have a warhead even though it armed itself anyway. Still, a strike without the warhead could still caused some damage and been life threatening to those gents.CheersDave