Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Short Final for 15 April

From Avweb's Short Final section:Like a lot of pilots I know, I tend to read back confirmation andreservation numbers and, out of habit, use the phonetic pronunciationsfor all alphabetic characters. Recently, while dealing with a carrental company, I was reading back my confirmation number -- One FiveAlpha Two Quebec -- when I was interrupted with "Is that with a C or aK?"Doc BryantI'd say no, that's a D for Dimbulb!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Fortunately, the ticket agent at the Chattanooga airport knew what I was saying as I did the read-back on the reservation she made for me this morning. It is nice to see someone not a pilot or controller who knows what the ICAO alphabet is.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.(In the Boston area this week.)

>I was reading back my confirmation number -- >One Five Alpha Two Quebec -- when I was interrupted with "Is that with a C or a K?"Well, if he read it back "Kay Beck" like I was taught, I can understand the confusion. ;)What genius chose Quebec pronounced Kay Beck for a lousy "Q" anyway ?Dan Pursel

>Well, if he read it back "Kay Beck" like I was taught, I can >understand the confusion. ;) >What genius chose Quebec pronounced Kay Beck for a lousy "Q" >anyway ? er.... that would be the 7 million or so French-speaking Quebeckers (Quebecois, if Luis will permit it) who, uh, live here, Daniel.:-xxrotflmaoa bient

Luis,Twenty-eight degrees here, and all is a sweaty mess: back to a more normal 20 tomorrow. Rugby season is of a sudden, upon us. :-fumeA Quebec Libre would most likely be a thick beer, with maple syrup, warm. No CANADA Dry anywhere near it. BTW, pics of our tour to N Carolina last week at www.picturetrail.com/mbarugbyquelque chose en francais incomprensible a toutes,:-beerchugted