Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Happy Birthday, Wilbur!

No, today isn't Wilbur, the owner of Mr. Ed's birthday. It is the birthday, in 1867 of Wilbur Wright. Who with brother proved that if you make an ugly enough contraption, the earth will jump away in horror. The brothers, observing that, erroneously thought man could fly. A mistake later made by Frank Piasecki, Tupeolov and a myriad of others (especially those clods at Shorts.)Doc Bryant :-outta

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Luis,Most of us flying enthusiasts know of the hot-air balloon flights and the early glider experiments. We recognize that the Wright Brothers were the first to fly using a gasoline engine and their wing-warping technology. They also did real wind tunnel testing of their various ideas - and that was a big first that gave them their place in history.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

And the first too to sue the dog---- out of another aerial entrepreneur.Let's differentiate between those French folks and their lighter than air exploits versus heavier than air stuff that marked the Wrights, Langley, Bleriot, Glen Curtiss, and Dudley P. Fuddpucker.Doc BryantOk, and all those Russians that invented heavier than air flight right after the dawn of time, LOL.

>They were two fearless men, facing the unknown<< skip, skip >>>where I did a short stint - ah! the duty-free shop for employees with a wide selection of Havanas.<< skip, skip >>>The aircraft - a Montgolfier paper and linen balloon, made by the Reveillon paper company. So Luis, is there a direct connection ?Were these two fearless men ... lighting an endless procession of cigars... to power their hot-air balloon made of paper ?Fearless -- indeed !!! French -- certainly !!! :-lolDan Pursel

Why I just happen to have at least an evening's endless procession of cigars....Gather up the bedsheets! Brother Maynard, to the Humidor...withdraw the La Gloria Cubana Serie R's, the Puros Indios Churchill Especiales and all the whacking great Joya de Nicaraguas you can find. We must aviate!Doc Bryant

:-lol Love it, Dan! What was that about fractured history?Wait for me, Doc. I do not know if that bedsheet will rise, but with all those cigars, we shall certainly get high.Best regards.LuisP.S.: What was that song? "A horse is a horse, unless of course..."

I remember when those shows were first run on the networks...And no, I did not take flying lessons from the Wright Brothers.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Luis:And as dawn breaks upon Casa Doc (well dawn according to my lifestyle) there are still a bunch of cigars left.I am sure if you search under google.com for television themes, you can find the Mr. Ed song.Doc Bryant"...people yakkity yak and waste the time of day, but Mr. Ed will only speak if he has something to say...."

Meekal old sport:Dudley Fuddpucker was president and CEO of Fuddpucker World Airways, the folks with the first SST. Beat the Brits and French types by a wide margin.In fact, not a day goes by that you don't see the vapour trails left by their Super Steam Transports.....:-lol.Figuring you to be a frequent flier, I thought you might twig to the joke first.About twenty years ago, as the popularity of the in flight magazines became apparent, some marketing types also figured that there was a captive audience. And one with money, as no one flies for free. That is an ideal bunch to sell things to. They are stuck there. They can not escape. They have money. And a goodly majority of them crave status.Thus, some catalog gets tossed in along with Armenian Way, OverWorked Traveller, Our World(and you're stuck in it) and the Iowa Hog Breeders Journal (must be a North Central Magazine) in the seat back pocket. And what do you do? You of course read them. After finding gum wrappers and napkins from a previous drinks service in the pouch also.Just as marketing types are quick to pounce on an idea to generate sales dollars, so are wiseacres quick to pounce on those who pounce...well, you get the picture.I do not know who did it, but someone came up with the idea of creating a bogus airline, just to sell bogus airline stuff. Thus, Fuddpucker World Airways. They sold, through their catalog, crew hats and shirts and other nonsense items. It was rumored that they were Allegheny crew dogs behind the scheme, I can not verify that.The merchandise was quite nice. The Fuddpucker World Airways was a cubic presentation of the earth, with a minature aircraft encircling it. Much like a jab thrown at the Pan Am or World Airways logo. Underneath, the motto, "Around the world since it was Square".And everytime you ordered or enquired, you got a nice letter from the President thanking you for your purchase.I found it such a giggle that I bought many shirts and hats for myself and friends. Great to wear at the club on Civvies nights.They, like many of the airlines they poked fun at, disappeared from view. How sad. But you can commemerate them by downing a few drinks named a Fuddpucker. Made with tequila I am told. Reason enough not to down a few.Doc Bryant :+

Someday, remind me to write a book and include a chapter on the "Doc Files"... :-lol

Under the heading, Surreal and Larger than Life, I hope!Doc BryantAnd finally, a picture of Brother Maynard and his Handler. Never before seen on Avsim.com!

why,Hullo there Brother Maynard! Happy Birthday Doc, it looks too. Homage to you both. B.M. doesn't seem smart enough to avoid getting between a man and his cake, but that cake looks pretty nice, so you can't blame him for trying. Oh, and he's a dog too. Righto. Nice shot.Ted

Ted:In Brother Maynard's calculating mind, he is protecting me from overeating. Or perhaps some insideous scheme to poison me with a cholesterol laced Mint Chocolate Chip birthday cake. He did not find anything amiss with the nice BV Sangiovese we also downed.Brother Maynard's diet includes Science Diet dog food, plus what ever foodstuffs I bring home from the nightly prowls about town.Brother Maynard since day one has always positioned himself between me and the threat. Human, food, or other animal. Please note below the opposing forces at the party. Two English Bull Terriers. The red one, Maggie, recently started on the dog show circuit. To her left is Champion Captain America, 1st at Silverwood and 4th at Stud (worldwide), otherwise known as Shane. Both dense as posts. The birthday party was for Shane, who was five that day. 35 in Lorne Greene years.Lest other dog fanciers protest over Brother Maynard's diet, I point out to them he has survived parvovirus and dogknapping. Whatever that dog wants, he gets. End of statement, LOLDoc BryantKeeper of Brother Maynard (protector of Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch):(