Sign in to follow this  

Pro Pilot 99 on Windows XP

I've used PP99 for years on Win 98. Just bought XP & can't get it to completely recognize any of three joysticks. Best results so far with Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2, but it won't recognize rudder, aileron, elevator or throttle. Anyone out there who can help? Sierra hasn't been much help--they give ordinary setup instructions and then say to get the latest drivers from the joystick manufacturers. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have a Logitech Digital Extreme joystick. Let me do some fiddling over the next week or so and see what I can come up with on XP issues.I will see what XP and PP99 does regarding software conflicts too.Doc Bryant

Doc: I would greatly appreciate that. One of the three joysticks I tried was a Logitech "Wingman Extreme Digital 3D". It worked a couple of times out of about a hundred attempts and had no apparent repeatability. Sierra says that digital may not work and to try analog, but as far as I can tell, this one isn't switchable.I've tried all the combinations of compatability XP offers with switching to 95, 98, NT and 2000 with all of the screen resolutions and checked that Windows was accepting the joystick. The problem seems to be somewhere in the basic information PP99 gets from XP. Sierra says PP99 uses direct input for joystick recognition--whatever that may mean.The Microsoft "Sidewinder Precision 2" programs very nicely and XP reports that is fully calibrated and ready to go. PP99 only receives the programmed part, though, and not the basic flight control which is not programmable.I used a serial connected Sidewinder with 98 and it worked fine. Tried it on XP and got no recognition at all.Many Thanks for your help.demong

It seems I have not missed anything until today.  I too, kept my old Win98 computer from the late 90's just to use PP99 on it.  Today, I have a really FAST Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 on it and it recognized the Sidewinder Precision Pro joy stick in USB mode.  I went to the driver in the 8.1 control panel and used the testing and calibration program and it works just fine, but PP99 does not see any joystick at all.  Now I guess it is time to examine all the config and INI files in PP99 to see what I can learn.

I see this posting was in 2002.  Are you guys still out there?

Jerry K. Thorne

Now in Palm Bay, Florida

706-270-3437 cell phone

www.n2prise.org web site.

jerry@n2prise.org works for email

Still here - haven't even lurked for awhile, but a little voice said to check in.

Hi, Jerry - how many hours on N2PRISE ?

I never saw "Star Trek: Enterprise" when it first came out, nor saw reruns.  So, watching via Netflix.  I'm about 1/2-way through Season 4.  Next on list is to watch all of Voyager.  I've started...seen first 6 episodes of 1st season.

I still have a desktop with Win XP and good drivers for PP99.  Using a Logitech stick for many years.

This desktop does not have a game port, so CH Products Yoke and pedals have been INOP for quite some time.

I may resurrect my 200 mHz Win 98 desktop - it has a game port.

The Hard Drive on it had some problems many years ago, so that's why I bought a new desktop, 1.8 mHz, Win XP, and had to search for Voodoo 2 drivers for XP, and found them.

Well, a couple of years ago I bought a HD enclosure to check out that HD, and it looks good, basically.  Need to tweak a couple of things, and may be able to  get the 200mHz desktop going again.  Frame rates were really good, in the 20's, with a working Voodoo 2.

OR....I may just buy a USB CH Yoke & Pedals for the Win XP machine.   Getting grandkids in the pre-teen and young teen years, who are interested a little in flying.  Also have a SIerra Driving training program, called Driver's Ed 99, which uses the Voodoo 2...not as much difference with-without it as compared to PP99, with and without it.

No real flying for several years due to pain medicine...feet problems shortly after FFC to Destin flight.  Would like to fly to AR and NE. Takes too long to drive.  Waiting for a "Driver's License-Only" requirement in lieu of 3rd class medical...OR, go LSA, but I don't think local airports rent LSA's.    OR, learn to fly gliders!  Always wanted to do that anyway.

Cheers, ya'll

Dave H.   Still near FFC.