Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

A special request

This is a bit out of the ordinary. Well, much of what I do is out of the ordinary.Today I was asked by a friend to participate in a distributed computing project. It uses the idle time of your computer's CPU to help research efforts to understand and combat Alzheimer's disease.Here is the link: http://folding.stanford.edu/If you have an always on connection to the internet, you can help. I have been running the program while I download, email, and in general do everything except flight sim activities. No problems have been encountered.The program does not report anything back to the main computer other than the results of it's efforts. So you won't get any spam mail or other nonsense. And it costs you nothing, since you are already paying the electric company to run your machine!If you install it, you will be asked your email adddress. You do not have to do that, it is just a way to identify your efforts. If you wish, in that space you could enter "AntiHeiss" which is the name I use. In the group space, enter 32. That is the group I belong to. You will see if you look up the statistics, this group is in third place for computer power behind the Stanford University supercomputer and those who wish to remain anonymous. I would invite you to join 32 to make it the largest, most active group in finding a solution to Alzheimers.The download is under 1 meg. If you would rather, email me and I will send it to you.Thanks!Doc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm "still" using a 56K modem - sorry Doc. I have looked at the site, though, and saved it for later.SETI has (or had) a similar thing going, although I think they just needed the people's PC's to search all the extra data they have.We don't know anyone in our family (in-laws and outlaws included) that has Alzheimer's -- MS and different cancers, yes -- but not Alzheimer's. And, several of the oldest have simply passed away from old age, like 89, 92, 93 ... and fairly coherent for their age, I guess.But every documentary I see on it just makes me empathize with those dealing with it. It looks so very frustrating knowing that your loved one is locked away in there somewhere. A couple of really good recent shows were about what they have been discovering lately. As for me, I've been staying away from aluminum as much as possible for the last several years.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

David:Thanks for looking. You could use it with a dial up modem, but I am sure you will agree, the procedure for doing so would be cumbersome.I am using cookware that has a hard anodized coating instead of having aluminium where it can react to acidic foodstuffs. So far the only problems I have encountered is the cookware's marked inability to remove calories from the foodstuff. I think we will probably end up finding dementia is caused by a whole gamut of things, not just cookware. And that will make the cure all the more difficult to find, and implement.Although the SETI project is nice, what are we to say to other folks after we've bimbarded them with "I Love Lucy" and "Baywatch"? I can see ample reason for destruction by the Vogons for that.Doc Bryant

I RATE DOC A AAA / 10 OUT OF 10!rock on,TedJus'back frum CheeecahgoPS. Apologies to SIC Feliz-Tirado (or was that Lindy?) for rating anyone at all. I couldn't resist. :-newburn

Thanks for the rating, Ted.I will pin it to my "Hooray for Me" wall here at Casa Doc.Cheeecahgo, eh? I will be passing through O'Hare next week. But I will have to do it on the QT. It seems some of the CFR guys (Crash Fire Rescue) fellows want me to cook for them when I transit through their airport. They've even promised me a ride in their whacking big trucks.I am not aware that the Smiley Control Officer position has been filled. Although I agree with you that the two finalists must be Lindy and Brother Luiz.Doc Bryant

If you're going to be spending time at O'Hare,I had a very nice moment there yesterday with the restored F4F-3 (an early Grunman Wildcat) that they've installed in the Edward O'Hare exhibit by the check-in counters in terminal 2. Worth taking a look at, it's a beautiful restoration. The F4F-3 is of course the plane that Lt. O'Hare used to shoot down 5 Japanese bombers in 4 minutes and win the Medal of Honor in 1942, and I'm guessing there are other yet nicer exhibits that you know about? I'm now looking for a job and my parents are campaigning for me to move to Chicago, so I may be seeing ORD JUST a few times more....as ever,Ted>:-)

Smiley Control Officer - I like it. So much more mellifluous than SIC.Best regards.LuisCo-SCOFF

Looks like Lindy,just got nailed. Nicely done, LFdeT, co-SCOFF.T

Ted:I think I will have approx. two hours to kill in Chicago on the 16th. So I might just saunter over there and check them out. We had a pair of Wildcats at last year's CAF-Fina airshow. I am very interested to see what changes will occur in participation at the airshow here this year, following the name change.There are some wonderful museums in the Chicago area. I am sure you will have a great time there. Although it is too damn cold there for me.Doc Bryant

bah,The cold makes you strong.I was wondering though, is the F4F-4, the improved version of the F4F-3 simply the Navy version, or a true improvement? What's the difference? I ask this because I keep wandering back to CFS2 and flying the Wildcat, an F4F-4....though my dream plane is currently any of the Mitsubishi AM6 "Zero" series.Ted

I don't THINK so!!! Luis is definitely CHIEF SCOFF! Go...Luis!!!!-Lindy