Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aidi

Athlon 2100XP being withdrawn from market!

Just as i've just decided what i'm planning to upgrade my computer to, i hear from a computer company that Athlon are removing the Athlon 2100XP from both the US and UK market because the chip is found to be very unstable and causes the computer to crash.I have no evidence on this as yet, but i'm dissapointed to say the least.I suppose the next one down is the Athlon 1800 - whats that like with FS?CheersWill

Guest Stamatis

"I suppose the next one down is the Athlon 1800 - whats that like with FS?"I believe there is an Athlon 2000 XP+. How come you are not considering it?Stamatis

Forgot that one existed! LOLoppsCheersWill

Guest Stamatis

Actually the correct name is Athlon XP 2000+Stamatis

Guest georgi55

Or, you could wait till 10th because Althon XP 2200+ will be released.

Guest GalacticCowboy

Huh. You'd think the AMD web site would be the first to know if this were really true. Yet they're still listing the 2100 as a viable and available product, nor are there any press releases indicating any sort of withdrawal or recall...http://athlonxp.amd.com

surely an unfounded rumour.None of the more important ICT hardware news sites, such as www.tomshardware.comwww.theregister.co.ukwww.amd3d.comwww.sharkyextreme.comare reporting this and I'm sure they wouldn't miss out on a juicy story like that!tell me, is that computer company also trying to sell you an Intel system by any chance?

Nope nothing of the sort. The company have just been telling me of what they have heard themselves from other companies i suppose. They do sell the Athlon 2100XP, they just stated that Athlon are about to recall their 2100XP stock back from the UK and US.Thats all i know, and they personally recommended not buying it - but i'm more than welcome to buy one of course. :DSo just for the next few days i've put things on hold until i find out some more information regarding my upgrade.As i said earlier, i have no evidence that this is true. - It soon might be news.Will

Will, I would check with a AMD rep before you write this off. Ive had a XP2100 for about 6 months now and I have never had a crash. Im running windows XP home. The only reason I ever turn the machine off is to keep from wasting electricity. I can run fs2002, then Deltaforce Landwarrior, and any other game without rebooting. Never had any problems what so everMy system:AMD XP2100+512mb PC2700 333mhz memoryASUS A7V333 333mhz Bus MotherboardRadeon 7500 64mb vid cardWindows XP Home

They may indeed sell both brands of cpu, but keep in mind stores often try to convince people that the Pentium is better. Probably due to the cash back insentives. :-)SteveCYYZ

Yep i agree with it all, and i'm treading carefully, trying not to blow something out of proportion from a statement that might not be true. I sent AMD an email asking for confermation on this, and I'll let you all know of the outcome.PS. Glad to hear that the CPU and system happens to be working great, i have heard this from other people, thats why i was going to buy it! Will :-wave

Good.. no more AMD for me.. to many problems.Johan

I've got the XP 1800+, and it's great! FS2002 runs great, and no problems with WinXP. I doubt that I'll ever buy another Intel...

BobK

Hi there.Well maybe its because the Xp2200 chip is coming out so they normally get rid of old stocks first or maybe as the new chip is using a new manufacturing process that they will be bringing out an XP2100 with the new manufacturing process and are getting rid of the old stock and just to let you know Ive got an Xp2100 in my PC and havent had a problem with it yet, the pc crashes but nothing that tells me its the processor as every computer Ive owned crashes at some point or other.Craig Kiltie

I've learnt that a possible cause of crashes from what i've read throughout my research for my upgrade is the PSU (Power Supply Unit).If the PSU has a Wattage below the minimum requirement of 400W for an Athlon chipset 1800XP + then your system can become unstable, and either reboot itself suddenly in windows or crash.Make sure you have a PSU with a wattage of around about:425-450W - for us gamersand500W + - for you overclockers.Will