Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aidi

Athlon 2100XP being withdrawn from market!

Guest Wichita

>Just as i've just decided what i'm planning to upgrade my >computer to, i hear from a computer company that Athlon are >removing the Athlon 2100XP from both the US and UK market >because the chip is found to be very unstable and causes the >computer to crash. >>I have no evidence on this as yet, but i'm dissapointed to >say the least. >I suppose the next one down is the Athlon 1800 - whats that >like with FS? >>Cheers >>Will Sounds like BS to me. Go look on Pricewatch,there's five pages of companys selling the XP 2100. None of the AMD sites or newsgroups are reporting any recall. Sounds like that computer company is joined at the hip with Intel...David

Hi Will,Since you don't have any other evidence that there will be a recall, I would be interested in knowing what the name and location of this computer company is.You were pretty quick to name AMD, so it should not be any concern listing the computer company that offered this advice.And if they turn out to be correct, then we will have a reputable dealer to buy from.So what is the name of this company and a website if you have one?Thanks in advance,Regards,Joe :-wave.Oshkosh Pictures From 2001 (Part 1) 78 Pics in Frames with 1mb in ThumbnailsHigh speed connection Recommended:http://home.attbi.com/~flypics1/FrameSet.htm.Oshkosh Pictures From 2001 (Part 2) 106 Pics in Frames with 1.5mb in ThumbnailsHigh speed connection recommended:http://home.attbi.com/~flypics2/FrameSet.htm.Picture Gallery of My Flight in a 1945 SNJ-6 on June 1st, 2002Joliet, Illinoishttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/FrameSet.htm.http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest daves0

I read that the 2100+ was the last in the .18 die line...they will then use .13 for higher speeds...Most bang for the buck right now is the XP 1800+I have the 1800 since February with no problems at all.

I actually don't know the name of the company (no j/k), my dad found out all this information from the company, and i'm just passing it on.I'm wondering like the all of you if this statement is untrue, thats why i'm not putting down any "names" which could possibly cause conflict amongst the computer world.Will

Guest Wichita

>I read that the 2100+ was the last in the .18 die >line...they will then use .13 for higher speeds... >>Most bang for the buck right now is the XP 1800+ >I have the 1800 since February with no problems at all.The changeover to the 13 micron die is mainly for the heat issue that keeps going up as the processor speed goes up but...from what I've heard and read the XP2200 using the smaller die isn't running any cooler in tests than the 2100 with the 18 micron. Its supposed to be released possibly next monday but we'll see.The XP 1500-2100's will run cool enough but you have to take care to use a good thermal grease and a better than average heatsink and HSF.David

Will,You're kidding, right.You post a major news item that states that AMD will be recalling a product.You said This:"Just as i've just decided what i'm planning to upgrade my computer to, i hear from a computer company that Athlon are removing the Athlon 2100XP from both the US and UK market because the chip is found to be very unstable and causes the computer to crash."Why were you not upfront in the beginning that it was your dad that heard this, but you used the word I.Your credibility just went poof, I'm afraid.You also said:"I'm wondering like the all of you if this statement is untrue, thats why i'm not putting down any "names" which could possibly cause conflict amongst the computer world."So, it's ok in your world to list Athlon, and drag AMD's name through the mud but no one else, huh....Ok, that's logical.You also said:"The company have just been telling me of what they have heard themselves from other companies i suppose."So were they telling your Dad?You said:"Thats all i know, and they personally recommended not buying it -"Ok, you kept on with this thread and kept stating that you talked with them. Why?So you pretty much mislead us, huh... Thanks Will.Please research properly next time before you post your next rumor of demise.Best Regards,Joe :-wavePS - I figured right that you would not disclose the name of the company, so let's see. .Oshkosh Pictures From 2001 (Part 1) 78 Pics in Frames with 1mb in ThumbnailsHigh speed connection Recommended:http://home.attbi.com/~flypics1/FrameSet.htm.Oshkosh Pictures From 2001 (Part 2) 106 Pics in Frames with 1.5mb in ThumbnailsHigh speed connection recommended:http://home.attbi.com/~flypics2/FrameSet.htm.Picture Gallery of My Flight in a 1945 SNJ-6 on June 1st, 2002Joliet, Illinoishttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/FrameSet.htm.http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Sorry for not stating "who" got the information and giving you the impression that it was me, but at the end of the day it's the same information.I'm only trying to help out other simmers alike and not to cause a hassel over something so minor of what your talking about (i know as much info as my dad, and to me the credibility doesn't change). Nothing is wrong with mentioning AMD (i'm not trying to cause fault with them either), personally i think they are the best CPU manufacturer around, i'm just informing you all of a "possible" fault with the chip, only trying to help out, or you might personally not want to know? I've always pointed out that i have no proof, so don't treat me like i've done something wrong.If i had kept this to myself, and then someone bought it and found this "possible fault", and then that person posted a message about it on this forum and i reply "I already knew about this possible fault"; you'd want to know, why didn't i mention it earlier.I'd still like to go out and buy this chip, but as i said ealier, i'm waiting upon AMD's reply to my email. The whole point of this posting was "NOT" to degrade AMD so don't treat it as such, only as a "possible" problem with the chip, in all accounts i could be wrong!CheersWill

Actually,It is not the same information, IMHO, until you name this so-called computer company and back up your claims with written evidence.You say it is not a big deal, but it goes to a question of character. If I went around claiming I was an airline pilot for a major airline, gave advice about flight models on 767's and then it turned out I was only a Licensed PP-ASEL, would not my character be called into question. Could I say well, I am a pilot just not a 767 pilot, and it is minor. I see your posts as something similar, IMHO. You stated 3 times as if you were having the conversation with this so-called computer company, and in fact, you admitted that you did not. That's character, Will, and as you get older, you have to understand that Character and Integrity are two traits you need to hold dear to your heart. Just use this as a learning example.If I were you, I would have posted something along these lines. I was talking with my Dad, and he says that a company told him that AMD was recalling their XP chips. I don't have the name of the company though.If you would like to boost your claim, I would recommend the following.1) Spend some time researching your claim. Go to some of the hardware sites and post links backing up your claims.2) Ask your Dad the name of the company and post their name. Right now it's your credibility on the line, IMHO, and this computer company's credibility on the line.3) If it turns out not to be true, will you then post an apology.4) I don't know your age, but you have to take some responsibility to what you post.If I post something incorrect, I always apologize. case in point. Until a couple days ago, I did not know the Union Jack was only referred as the Union Jack when it was being flown on Her Majesties Vessels. So I apologized in a thread. It is called integrity. I am not questioning your integrity, because you feel this in your heart, but if you truly want to help others, you will back up your claim with evidence or ask that it be removed.I hope you understand where I am coming from, and I hope you or your Dad find the chip you are looking for.Regards,Joe :-wave Recent news on Athlon XP June 2, 2002, from BSW"PC World Names AMD Athlon XP Processor ComputerProduct of the Year; World's Largest Technology Magazine Recognizes the Quality and Performance of AMD's Flagship Processor.Since its launch in October 2001, the AMD Athlon XP processor and computer systems based on the AMD Athlon XP processor have won more than 30 awards worldwide. In all, the AMD Athlon processor family, which debuted in August 1999, and systems based on such processors have won more than 100 awards worldwide, including PC World's World Class Award for overall Product of the Year in 2000. About the AMD Athlon XP Processor The AMD Athlon XP processor features QuantiSpeed architecture, 384KB of on-chip, full-speed cache, and support for AMD's 3DNow! Professional instructions for enhanced multimedia capabilities. The AMD Athlon XP processor is compatible with AMD's Socket A infrastructure, and supports the advanced 266MHz front-side bus. AMD Athlon XP processors are manufactured using AMD's 0.18-micron copper process technology in Fab 30 in Dresden, Germany."http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Thanks for the advice, and i'm sure i'll be getting my chip sorted shortly ;-)I'm waiting on a reply from AMD. If it proves to be false information, i'll be all too pleased to get this posting removed.If it proves true, i hope it all is useful information to you all.CheersWill :-wave

Guest Max Cowgill

>I'm only trying to help out other simmers alike and not to >cause a hassel over something so minor of what your talking >about (i know as much info as my dad, and to me the >credibility doesn't change). Eh, you're not helping anyone by repeating rumors that you heard second-hand and didn't bother to research at all before reporting them...>Sorry for not stating "who" got the information and giving >you the impression that it was me, but at the end of the day >it's the same information. >>Nothing is wrong with mentioning AMD (i'm not trying to >cause fault with them either), personally i think they are >the best CPU manufacturer around, i'm just informing you all >of a "possible" fault with the chip, only trying to help >out, or you might personally not want to know? I've always >pointed out that i have no proof, so don't treat me like >i've done something wrong. Nothing's wrong with what you did? If you were a writer for a newspaper and published this rumor, you could (and more than likely would) be sued by AMD for character assassination/libel. Granted, you're not a newspaper writer but that doesn't mean you're not responsible for what you say and do! Sorry for beating a dead horse (I know you've already acknowledged your mistake), I just wanted to throw my two cents in here so that hopefully, in the future, you'll think before you post. Max Cowgill

Firstly i'd like to apologise for what i've posted here, and i've now asked for the posting to be removed.ApologiesWill

Guest Aidi

Folks,As you can read above Will has asked for the post to be deleted. There are some valid points within the post on both positive and negative areas, so deleting it would not actually achieve anything. To that end, i have locked the thread. I think all that needs to be said has been, and a few lessons learnt to boot.Rgdshttp://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg