Sign in to follow this  
Guest tallpilot

Big Red during Annual Inspection

This is what kept me busy for the last two weeks, doing all the work during the annual inspection. No major problems found and the airplane got a good cleaning both inside and out. I however look like I had an incounter with a runaway vegamatic.:-lol Hands and arms all cut and bruised and it took me a while to get the grease and dirt cleaned from under the finger nails after the annual was over.:-)Yesterday I had an Instrument Currency Check and a Biennial Flight Review (3:45 flight)so now both Big Red and Cap'n Tall are all current.And today I am 66 years young. :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpyYa'll take care now, heeeeer!!!Cap'n tall

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Happy Birthday Captain!Tonight, in your honor, I shall fling skyward approximately $2500 worth of ordnance. And maybe down a perfectly adequate Cabernet accompanied by a good Central American Dictator sized cigar.You know, since I am doing all that, I might as well go out to dinner too.Again, best wishes, and hopes for many more annuals of both kinds.Doc Bryant :-beerchug

>it took me a while to get the grease and dirt cleaned from under the finger nails after the annual was over.:-) After "projects of the third kind" (close contact with older inanimate objects of a mechanical nature)I have found the easiest nail cleaner is a good hair shampoo using liquid "pumice-powered" Lava.Oops, at our age having enough hair to make this workable is not a given. :)Dan Pursel

>And today I am 66 years young.Happy Birthday, Cap'n. And many more years of currency to you and the beautiful bird. :-wave Dan

Thank you "oh Preparer and connoisseur of culinary delights and dispenser of aerial extravaganzas" :-)Since you are going to that extent to celebrate my aging I guess I will have to leave the confines of my airconditioned abode(112 deg in Havasu today) and celebrate also. :-walksmileCap'n Tall

Thank you Bob.What's that they say seperates the men from the boys?Oh yes, "The price of their toys" :-lolEd Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Dan,For me "Hair is not what's lacking" as you'll see when we meet. :-)"I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was" :-wink2Ed

Dan,Thank you for the kind thought.Cap'n Tall

Thank you dear LADY.I hope things are well with you and that the "Gods of the opposite gender" are smiling down on you.(In other words is he still hanging around) :-)We'll miss you at the Prescott get together but then again you may miss me at the NASCAR gathering. Or maybe you won't. :-(Sandy say's Hi and when are you coming to Vegas again so she has an excuse to go. :-lol As if she needs an excuse.Cap'n Tall

Robert S:No, if it was a Jag, it would spend a weekend in the air, and three weeks in the shop.When the Brit equipment is running right, it is a joy to behold. When it's not, you would not expend the caloric output to push it off a cliff if the cliff was mere inches away....Doc Bryant(who's oil stained carpark was the result of MG TD, MGA, MGB, Triumph Spitfire, GT6, Stag, Trident, Norton, XKE, and the odd Morris and Hillman Imp. I wouldn't let the Tanus in the drive. And my younger brother, who does not have the sense to put a roof on his porch, still has a Berkley.)

Doc,Ah, another British motors fan (maybe former?) like myself. Got a 1970 Triumph Trophy 650 sitting in the garage, along with a couple of BSA dirt bikes... a B50MX (in a Rickman frame) and a B50T (in a box). I guess the only British car I ever owned was a Triumph TR6, but it was undriveable. Bought it without really checking it out, and it vibrated incredibly at anything over about 40 MPH. It was later determined that somebody had "jumped" it, bending the frame. I wound up trading it for a Smith & Wesson Model 66 revolver and a rubber boat w/motor, and believe me, I got the better end of the deal. :-)The most *fun* I ever had with a four-wheeled British vehicle was with my brother's '63 MG Midget, a street-legal go-kart! Whee! Wound up snapping a rear axle shaft, but that's another story. I pushed it home quite easily.There is a relatively simple way to keep these things from leaking oil. Just drain the oil and garage the dang things. :-lol Or better yet, do like I did to the B50T, disassemble it and box it up.Got a metal sign hanging right over my head here, of a Norton Dominator. Great things, British vehicles, but you have to be mighty dedicated to them.Some rather rare vehicles in your list there, Doc, especially these days. The MG TD, the Stag, and whut-the-heck is a Tanus?~Bob~http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif("Robert_S"? Eeesh. I knew I should have stuck with "FlyBert" when the forums got updated.) :-)

FlybertThat one slipped by the spell checker and the old noggin. It was supposed to be Taunus. As in Ford of Germany.The Stag belonged to a Chevrolet dealer in a nearby small town. It was a basket case sitting outside the shop and showroom complex. I walked in and asked my friend at the parts counter, "Who's the idiot who drug that home?" The idiot was standing next to me, the owner of the dealership. As penance, it showed up in my driveway on a flatbed truck. With a check in the glove box. I got it running (with help from a fellow who restores old farm implements) and farmed out the reupholstry and cabinet work. About six months after it showed up, I called him up and told him he had run out of money, so come and get it.He still drives it on occasion. And I occasionally think I am up to the task of finding a TR-8 convertible. Just like the one I scared the living bejeebers out of a dealer sales type on a test spin.I doubt I shall go that route. I have told a friend I would purchase his Dodge M-37 Power Wagon, still with the military appurtanences attached. It was running until he purchased it.... Wouldn't that be just the spiffy thing to transplant a Cummins diesel into?Doc Bryant