Sign in to follow this  

A Question About Multiple Monitors

hey you guys, i have always wanted to play around with other monitors, and see what i can do. but i am not really familiar with this option. could you guys tell me what i can do with a second monitor, and if i need some software, to run it something that would be cool is like using a different view, possiblly a overhead panel.Thanks.

Adib,I'm sure others will have more creative suggestions but here's what I do with my second monitor and MSFS2k2.I always have FSnavigator active which is extremely handy, especially when flying on VATSIM. I also move the different pop-up views (FMC, overhead panels, throttle quadrant etc) to the second monitor and then define a button on the joystick for each view.Unfortunately I haven't been able to get Squawkbox to work on the second monitor since you always drop out of MSFS2k2 when switching to it (and sbhost.dll doesn't work for me).As for installing the second monitor and video card (or perhaps you have a dual head on the card) it was a breeze. With my XP system I just plugged in my Geforce 2 MX pci card, booted and the card was there (generic drivers used) ready to be used with a second monitor.I connected the second monitor, chose "Extend desktop to second monitor" or something like that in the display properties and everything worked! A small utility from nVidia was automatically installed (twinview?) to handle the two monitors.I didn't understand how much I appreciated the second monitor until it broke down and I'm for the moment stuck with one only. :(Regards,Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Another little hint I found out - The hard way....Do not mount the second card next to the main card. Try to rearrange some "1/2" card (or equivalent) next to the main card, or leave that slot blank.The heat from the main card, "fry'd" my second card !Won't do that again....Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Anyone got any advice on getting a really old card to work with windows xp?I just by chance got an old 15" monitor-the video card is a voodoo 1 or 2.xp can't find a driver for it-I even tried to just install a standard vga and can't seem to get xp to do even that?Any hints from anyone?Thanks.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif

"the video card is a voodoo 1 or 2."GeofAIf the Card is really a Voodoo 1 or 2, than you will have no chance of making it work. The Voodoo 1 and 2 were both add in 3d adapters which worked in conjunction with your 2d VGA card, neither came with onboard VGA graphics. Also Windows Xp does not support add in 3d adapters anymore, so they will not work as intended anyway.3dfx produced only 4 production video cards with intergrated VGA, these were:Voodoo 1 Rush (bloody awfull and probably not supported by Windows XP)Voodoo Banshee (a cut down Voodoo 2, supported under XP)Voodoo 3 series (Supported under XP)Voodoo 4/5 series (supported under XP)Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.Simon.