Sign in to follow this  
Guest tallpilot

The Pro Pilot Curse

For those of you who may not partake of the AVSIM microsoft forum it appears that the "Pro Pilot Voodoo Curse" :-bat as struck our beloved Ms. Lindy. She purchased that latest microsoft flight sim and attempted to install it on her computer without having a single edition of Pro Pilot also installed.:( It goes without saying (but I am saying):-) that was a foolish mistake as her computer ended up going to the fixit shop. :'(She proclaimed that her computer has been showing signs of illness for sometime but we all know that any troubles she had before were minor compared to what she caused by awakening the "Gods of Pro Pilot".Let this be a lesson to all past and present users of Pro Pilot. DO NOT delete this sim from your hard drive (even if you don't use it) if you intend to install another one or you too may invoke the wrath of "The Pro Pilot Curse". }>

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Oh my Capt. Tall....You have released information that was heretofore cloaked in mystery and enigma (variations?). The cat's out of the bag and the genie's popped the cork.I would hesitate to compare it to Pandora opening her box, for the ill informed here would wonder if that was where STD's originated. Nooo, I won't go there.But now, Dearest Ed, we all shall be forced to suffer soundbites on CNN, enquiries on C-Span, and a barrage of headlines in the supermarket check stand tabloids. All wondering of the Curse of Pro Pilot. I day say one or two of the scandal sheets might tie it in with celebrity aviation incidents. Not in the least to say that Jimmy Hoffa and Elvis had similar problems.I had been aware that Ms. Lindy, the typist of things legal, had tempted and twiddled the fates by having a sailing simulator on her computer. I shall not even attempt to plumb the depths as to why some one of sound mind would even consider simulating sailing. I think one could easily simulate it by having two strong lugs fling juggle your monitor whilst another one flings tepid epsom salt water upon your laundry (with you inside it of course). And the Gran Luxe edition would have a fourth guy making sea gull and aquatic life noises from a position behind you. Myself, I would wonder about a chap who's sole position in life was to make aquatic noises.But far for me to bring it up that it was the "Adventures in Paradise" edition (sans Gardner McKay, he cashed in his chips a while back) that started Lindy on the road to perdition.By letting on about the curse, now others will understand why a few of us were wise enough to mate for life with Pro Pilot, and not let other flight simulators have a dalliance on our desktops.Look at Meekal for example. Please do. It makes my head hurt to think about looking at Meekal. But I digress. Look, Meekal sported about with a few, a mere few different sims and look what has happened to him. Every currency he touches turns to something with the worth of animal bedding material. Why, you can fuel a G-V with what a decent dinner for you and a few of your friends in the Argentine would cost, including five or six bottles of adequate Cabernet, a smattering of single malt Scotches, and maybe a couple of bottles of 70 yr old Port. All that due to Fly and maybe FS98 on his hard drive. I am sure they were not there very long...but it was enough.And lets not even pause to consider what happens when you load one of those run about in circle with gaudily painted simulated motor car programs without the benevolent Pro Pilot also residing on one's hard drive.Oh well Ed, you spilled the beans about the curse. You do know that the fellow who twigs it is supposed to suffer failing hearing, eye sight, hair loss and of course the loss of, shall we say, ahem, marital vigor? Keep us informed, and do wear a hat in the Arizona sun!Doc BryantKnight Errant Defender of the FaithAnd where's Dudley in all this. I am sure he had multiple simulator programs, and now he is trying to be a lounge act in the Appalachins. Oh my. Oh my.

:-laugh1But, yes, I admit it..... I've gone over to the Dark Side (at least temporarily). One of my local office supply stores had MSFS02 at a price I simply could not ignore so I bought it. :-shyAnd yes, it refused to install so the computer was hauled into the shop -- something I've been threatening to do for months. Something must have gotten fixed because I was able to install the program with no trouble..... of course, RUNNING it is a completely different story!But while I'm here, maybe one of you can answer a question for me. Does the size of the monitor have any effect on how quickly a webpage loads? Specifically will a webpage load up more quickly on a 14 inch monitor than on a 19 inch monitor?Now I'm interested in finding out whether my computer will accept a new video card -- CHARGE!! :(-Lindy

Did she REALLY ask that????????"Does size matter?"...........The bigger the product,,,,,,,,the bigger the download........Better get a nice sized card.........:-wink2Pork (That's it......I'm dead!)

Lindy:Depending on Pork for computer advice is like depending on me for low calorie meals. As they say down here, "Shouldn't ought to go there!"Monitor size means little. Although I have two (2) View Sonic 19 inch monitors on my desktop here at Casa Doc. Here are the factors for speedy presentation of web pages:What kind of connection to the Internet you have (Bandwidth-bigger is better) going into your computer.Cable Modem usually beats DSL DSL beats telephone dial up all to hell. Dial Up modem beats not having any connection at all.Next is what horsepower you have in your video card, and how much memory is on the card itself. And if the card has a true GPU (Graphics Procesessing Unit), think CPU devoted to graphics. The greater the memory available on the card, the less the card is going to depend on your hard drive as a memory cache-and same goes for depending on RAM or system memory.System memory plays a role too. I have 512 meg on one machine here and 1 full gigabyte of DDR memory on the other. More memory available to the CPU lets it do things with less reliance again on the hard drive to store stuff short term. Less fetching means faster speeds of operation.Get as much horsepower as you can in a video card and system memory and you will do well. These new GeForce 4 4200 and 4600 series cards beat all to hell the GeForce 2MX card I have in the Electron Leviathan. And the Leviathan Lite has a Voodoo 5000 just for Pro Pilot. The Voodoo cards are very scarce these days. They are out of production. Good luck in finding one.Doc Bryant

Doc, thanks for the explanation. (Notice how I am ignoring the Porkster. Although he's right..... he's DEAD MAN WALKING! ;(8 ) The reason I asked is both my computers have the exact same brand of modem (yes, I'm still using dialup) but webpages appear much more quickly on my work computer than they do on my game computer. The shop checked out the game modem for me when I took the game computer in on Monday and I was told everything was fine. Since both computers use the same phone line and the same brand of modem, the only other real variable was the monitor. The work computer has less power, less RAM and a smaller video card, but the modem works much better. Go figure. Anyway, I thought I'd ask. -Lindy :-bigangel

The thing that no one mentioned is the video resolution and number of colors you have selected for the video card. IF you have a color level higher than 16-bit or 32-bit color, things will slow down because of the video card. Given identical computer hardware, check the display properties and you should find your answer. More resolution takes more time to load all that video card memory.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

But no cigar. Both computers are running at 16 bit colors with 1024X768 resolution. I've even switched the computers locations once thinking it might be related to the position in my house, but that didn't make any difference either.The 500 mHz/16mg RAM video card/64 mg RAM computer STILL gives me better online performance (sorry Pork but "performance" is everything }> ) than does my 700 mHz/32mg RAM video card/320 mg RAM computer!!!Oh well, I guess it's just one of those minor computer mysteries that may never be solved. :-roll-Lindy :-spacecraft

Doc,You are simply inimitable. And bloody funny!MeekalPS Why should the thought of looking at me hurt your head? Women think I'm rather handsome I will have you know......

Blabbermouth you say? I was just doing my civic duty and reporting the news as is my Fourth Amendment right. :-)I hate to disillusion you, but just because FS2K2 loaded and is running does not mean that the "Curse" is through with you. I would suggest that you create a new folder, name it ProPilot and place it in programs. (These curses are easly fooled):-lolI suppose I'm on you S*** List along with Pork now? :-hang"breaker, breaker tallpilot signing off"

Well folks, you have succeeded in doing it again. After a week in forum hell, you succeeded in knocking me out of the chair with this thread. Pork, if'n I were you, I would NOT come any further east than the big muddy for awhile.... :-lol

Lindy-Email me off post and I will see what I can do to speed things up for you.Doc Bryant

>Let this be a lesson to all past and present users of Pro >Pilot. DO NOT delete this sim from your hard drive (even if >you don't use it) if you intend to install another one or >you too may invoke the wrath of "The Pro Pilot Curse". }> That is "precisely" why I installed PP99 on my wife's laptop -- to keep it running like a top (a fast top -- no precession). Even though there's no 3dfx/Glide benefit, I still use it for a quick PP99 fix.I eventually also put FLY!2K on it, just to see what it looked like on a 600mHz machine. The laptop is still hummin' along just fine, thanks to PP99!!!(I was not in any way, shape or form compensated for my comments, and no animals were hurt, either, if you don't count the gerbil.)Dave H.Fayetteville, GA