Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

What's ProPilot all about then ??

ProPilot is about the only sim I do not have. Never even seen it on screen. What's it all about then ? Is there a list of features anywhere, screenshots etc...?? What hardware is required ? I heard it only runs with Glide (3dfx cards). Is this true??Thanks...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It is all about the illusion of flight. ProPilot was ahead of its time in features. It was the first computer PC flight sim with over 38 million elevation points to render the USA (and later Europe) in three-dimensional countoured landscape. It was the first (Propilot 99) to have volumetric clouds and visual effects courtesy of the GLIDE (Voodoo / Banshee) video cards. When properly upgrades with the patches, it was and still is a good flight simulator. Many complained about the low-resolution video (640-480), but that was one of the features that made for good frame rates, even on old 200 MHz Pentium machines.The core of this crew here owned Propilot (98) and the later model ProPilot 99, which is the only one to get today. PP99 comes in a PURPLE BOX, not the BLUE box, which is PP98 and does not have the 3D cloud and video effects.The patch to provide 3D ground textures and mountains to Europe is about 90 megabytes in size in 10 files. It really puts the finishing touches to PP99!And now, I am sure the other old hands here will chime in with whatever I have forgotten.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Hi Chris.... Pro Pilot 99 is an old (about 3 -4 years) flight sim that really was the one that introduced spectacular voluminous clouds to the flight sim world. It was a "closed" program but some minor hacking was done and there are are few "add ons" such as scenery improvements that should be found in the Library. Those of us who used it felt the flight models were good. The scenery covered the continental U.S., part of Canada and parts of Europe. The resolution was limited to 640x480 and yes, it ran with Glide. (Actually it would run w/o Glide enabled, but you missed the 3D effects and the spectacular clouds.) It ran well on low-end machines (we're talking like PII 400 mHz and such).It was a sim ahead of its time in some ways and behind the times (even then) in others. But it kinda got under our skin and as you can see it still has a very loyal, close knit following -- even though some of us have moved on to other sims. -Lindy :-wave

You might be able to find it in a bargain bin someplace or online, but if you're interested, be sure to get the purple box (Pro Pilot 99). Then of course, you'll need an addon Voodoo card to take advantage of the 3D effects, most notably the clouds which are really excellent even by today's standards.-Lindy :-wave

I have a Voodoo 5500, which does support Glide, so I assume this will work OK. I hope PP99 is not geared up to just use the add-on Voodoo cards such as the Voodoo2 etc.Also, could I use my CH USB rudder pedals (as well as yoke obviously) with PP99 ?Plus, what level of patching is available for it. If I do manage to get hold of a copy I want it to be up to date.Thanks again folks...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Thanks Jerry,I live in the UK but the reason I asked if its available still in the US is because I am over here at the moment for another week or so...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Oh, sure the VD5500 should work fine. I just wasn't aware anyone was still using a VD card as his main video card. Sorry, my mistake.Your rudder pedals and yoke should work as well, although I can't confirm that from personal experience. Anyone??Any patches/upgrades/addons should be found here in the Library. I think Jerry pretty much went over those. Oh! there was a USA version and a European version of PP99 (wasn't there, Jerry?) If by chance you're getting the European version, you may not need the 90 mg patch -- although I could just be talking through my hat here ..... it's been a while since I used PP99.Anyone else want to jump in here on this issue.-Lindy :-wave

Thanks Lindy,To reply to your point about the Voodoo5500, I have two vid cards in my system, the V5 (in a PCI slot) and a Geforce2 GTS in the AGP slot, so I have the best of both worlds. I actually prefer the V5 over the Geforce card anyway.Thanks for info on the Euro and US versions, I did not know that. I found a set of ten patches on the sierra site, but will not downloaded them until I get a PP99 copy...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

After 4 years of dedication to this Sim, and close to 3 with AVSIM, I've come to a very illogical (yet, contemplary) answer to this question........Pro Pilot was developed so as AVSIM could create this forum..........The rest is history, and there's plenty of it.Without the Pro-Pilot forum (and the contributers that have solidified it's place in history), AVSIM would have folded by now..........:-bluegrabFictionIn an emergency staff meeting of AVSIM personnel, discussing the future of this site, it was alluded to that, perhaps, AVSIM should relinquish the title rights to one of it's competitor's (namely, FLIGHTSIM.COM) for an exhorbinant amount of cash. AVSIM senior stock holders were in favor of the idea but, from the back of the room, Tom Allensworth (Head Guru of publishing) stated that NO measures of any ballet would be voted on till it was run through the Pro-Pilot forum....."For financial responsibilty (that would be Meekal), in-depth future analysis (that would be Doc........a "boom" in the economy), correct ideology of the plan (that would be Jerry), ease of transfer ("who's whip is bigger?"........nuff said), and of course, the old almighty, "You die, we die?" concept????????Mr. Allensworth (a dedicated member of this X-Filish forum) knew........Ya can't kill the "truth"........So, Pro-Pilot (and this gang of forum members) lives on.END FictionBTW, as old as it is........It's still a pretty damn good Sim........Pork (no longer a member on the Board of Directors)

Thanks Porker,From what you guys have said, and from what others have said, and from the reviews that I have read....I WANT A COPY OF PP99!!!!!...at least then I can officially be a member of this rather funny forum....:-newbieChris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

>Also, could I use my CH USB rudder pedals (as well as yoke obviously) with PP99 ? Hi Chris, the short answer is yes.The long answer is it requires downloading "CH Pro Pedals USB Driver Version 1.00" from the CH site.1. Without the special driver, the "old" PP99 cannot recognize a 2nd joystick, which is how Windows sets up USB pedals.So, you are stuck with the USB yoke as joystick 1, and can only do "auto-coordinate" rudder.2. With the special driver (aka "combo" driver), you run a program to "trick" PP99 into recognizing both USB devices.You have to rerun the program to go back to the normal USB two joystick configuration. And then reboot.It's a simple Windows program, with obvious "buttons" to click for "switching". Documentation is good.A pain in the butt, but it works. :-) And, it sets up up other "legacy" sims as well.And, PP99 has actual voice ATC & pilot system, very nice even if not 100% FAA compliant.Happy contrails ::::::::::::::::::::::::::>- Dan Pursel

Great!!! :-jumpy It's always gratifying to welcome a new member into the fold. I hope you find a copy of PP99 or grab the one on eBay if it's still available.If you have questions about running the sim, this is THE place to come for answers.Oh, and one little tiny piece of advice -- we don't use the company name (that begins with an "S" and ends with an "a") on this forum. We've never forgiven them for pulling the plug on PP2000 just before it was ready to go gold.So find yourself a copy of PP99, make sure it's PP99 and not 98, and enjoy.-Lindy :-wave