Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Anybody going to the Reno event?

I just thought I would throw this out (and then run away, as I am leaving on family business Thursday morning at O Dark Thirty).Anyone from this august group going to the AVSIM Conference and Exhibition in Reno this September?Just wondering.....:-hmmmDoc Bryant

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have all these frequent flyer miles and a cousin who lives near Lake Tahoe...chances are better than 50/50.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Don't know yet. I really would like to..... if only to visit Lake Tahoe. But chances are not good. If I had to give an answer right now, it would have to be a very regretful "no." -Lindy

Am trying hard to include it in my plans. My wife would like to see the Grand Canyon (Canyon...Canyon...Canyon...), so that might sway her to come along if we include that on the trip.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Dave,Are you going to fly out or drive? If you fly, go to Las Vegas to get a better deal on airline tickets. You can then drive to the Grand Canyon and Reno from Vegas. Rooms in Vegas are cheap except on the weekends. Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

I hope it goes without saying (oh what the heck, I will say it anyway).. I hope to see all of you there. We're going to have a whale of a time and who knows, you may win the (still secret) prize that will make it ALL WORTHWHILE. HINT: if you fly, keep your reciepts! :-lolOh, and to entice you even more, we'll have a fly off that will challenge you in a twin with one engine out and on approach to X with bad weather. We'll give a preview shortly, but practice practice pracice (with FS2002, sorry) and you could win significantly. :)Okay, shameless plugging, baiting and cajoling. BE THERE!!!

Want my charter receipt? Maybe I will upgrade to a G-V then :-kewl!Doc Bryant

LOL, seven thousand pounds of "motion lotion" still puts a healthy wallop on the gold card....Doc Bryant

Well, I'd drive if I could start at Albuquerque or Phoenix.We've driven enough over the years through TX/OK/KS/NE/MO/IL/AR/TN/KY/LA/MS/AL/GA that it would be quite a long and dull event getting to the Mtn Time Zone. Plus, I flew to ABQ and back January of last year - I'm pretty convinced that's the only sane way to get there.We drove from OMA to Rocky Mtn Park once, and it wasn't until we got to 5000 ft around Cheyenne that we awoke from our driving trance. The Rockies were just bee-yoo-tiful !Looking at the map, Reno's farther From LAS than I recalled. But we'll have to do something like you suggested to fit in the Grand Canyon. I've got some more plannin' to do. Even with getting my PPL by then, I'd need a plane like Cap'n Too Tall's to make it in 1 day. Thanks !Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Hey who you callin "TOO Tall"? :-yellow1I once owned and drove an MG-TD (although I never used the doors when the top was down just stepped in ) :-lolI owned and flew a Pitts S-2A and then a smaller S-1T (and even wore a parachute):-)And I have been known to fly a J-3 Cub from the front seat. :-hahSo just because I always request a King Size bed at hotelsdoes not mean that I am "TOO Tall"Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot (Just tall enough)

>Hey who you callin "TOO Tall"? :-yellow1 >No disrespect meant too my elder - it's just my autistic brain that thinks of Ed "Too Tall" Jones when I know that "TallPilot" and "Ed" refer to the same person. Also, looking at your pictures several months ago with you and Lindy next too (Go) Big Red, you do not appear too be vertically challenged.However, it was indeed inconsiderate of me too refer too you in this manner, and I promise not too refer too you as "Too" tall from now on.BTW, apparently there's a group called Too Tall Jones -- www.tootalljones.com . PS. What a beautiful aircraft !!!Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

That's ok Dave I'm like Rodney Dangerfield, I get no respect. Like he says "My wife took me to a dog show.....and I won first prize". :-lolI sold that S-2A to buy a more powerful S-1T (pictured)to compete in aerobatic contests. The two place went over to Hawaii for awhile and then came back to the mainland. It was completely rebuilt and painted black (but retained the N number 73EW, 73 year it was built, EW me)and was used by an Airline pilot to do airshows. He crashed and died during an airshow and to the best of my knowledge the plane was never rebuilt although the N number is still assigned to it according to the records.I flew the S-1T for 4yrs and sold it just before I retired. It was a great performing airplane. It had a modified IO-360 that developed about 230hp and even with big old me and half a tank of gas I could do a full vertical roll, continue the vertical climb and still have enough energy at the top to cap off the meneuver and fly away. Someting that I couldn't do with the S-2A. Fun airplanes. :-)Oh by the way I bought the S-2A at an airport called Bear Creek next to the Atlanta Raceway. Is it still there? I lived in Peachtree City at the time and since there were no hangers there I kepted it at Newnan (CCO)until we moved to Memphis and then I moved it there.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Oh, man - sad to hear about your fellow aerobat. Though he was doing what he liked, and we all gotta go someday, I guess there's no real "good" way to go, except maybe old age at 90.Bear Creek Airport, for the last several years, goes by the name of 4A7, Tara Field, in Henry Country close to Hampton, GA (where the ARTCC is, which you most likely already know), but Clayton County owns it (kinda like ATL - it's not in Atlanta, but Atlanta owns it - go figure).I last walked around that area about 10 years ago - took one of my young sons to see a classic car show at the raceway (also renamed a few years ago - now the Atlanta Motor Speedway-AMS), which really was on the track and infield. There were also a couple of Confederate Air Force planes (gosh darn, they've been renamed, too!) flying around from Bear Creek. There have been a few CAF planes at Falcon Field for the last several years.Both airports (Tara/Falcon) have just latched on to some airfield improvement $$ last month. There's going to be a lot of construction on the other side of Falcon Field - nothing there now but coyotes and possums. That's also where all the ground ordnance is set off during airshows when they simulate bombing runs.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

No big surprise........It has been shelved in lieu of the NASCAR trip.........Good thing. TommY was fretting me on the golf course anyway..........Pork