Sign in to follow this  

Tribute to Luis - from the nature guy

http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d1a3cf50bfc2533.gifLove the moose, but the best I can do lately is I bopped a scorpion in the shower yesterday morning. Killed it dead.Once this happens, getting into the shower is a real committment when you have 20/400 vision. However, I can detect motion, which is how I got the little bugger.Today I found another one in the shower. Already dead. But maybe the invasion has started ?For those living in other climes, scorpions like to feed on crickets.So, if you get rid of crickets, you have minimial scorpion problems.Crickets arrived the year after I built the house. A year later I zapped the crickets. I learn. Slowly.Scorpions can ride in on the pets, or sometimes they get a little confused and are just looking around, etc.So, they're not really a problem. So I see maybe a couple a year at the most.And, contrary to the Disney "Living Desert" stereotype from my childhood, they aren't the size of large cats.And, if they have those memorable raging territorial fights, they do it while I'm asleep, and not on my top of my bed covers.Dan PurselPS: Did see a moose and her calf slip-sliding across the pavement driving the Henry Cabot Trail around Cape Breton Island.Right after seeing a moose-crossing sign and saying "not bloody likely at 1 o'clock in the afternoon.PSS: Doc, please do not suggest the .357 Magnum remedy for the scorpions.I do keep my 9mm Beretta 92 close at hand. BUT.Even this "minor" caliber is SO hard on the faux marble shower floor and walls, and the noise, my God, the noise.And, the overpressure blows open the magnetic glass door latch and gets the carpet wet, which makes my wife unhappy.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

..... And, the overpressure blows open the magnetic glass door latch and gets the carpet wet, which makes my wife unhappy. And we all know, or should know, if 'momma' ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!! }> -Lindy :-spacecraft

Charming, Dan, just charming. Poor little scorpion comes in looking for a drink after a hot day in the sun and you stomp it.Perhaps there are scorpions here, but I have never seen one.On the other hand, the farm is crawling with tarantulas, big, black, and hairy.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d1da3c9723c64a4.jpgLots of screaming when they get in the house.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d1da3e27263b8d0.jpgNo, I never do that, but simply pick up the little darlings and deposit them outside where they can live to scare the living daylights out of the next person.Best regards.Luishttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d1da3ad7213670b.gif

Hi Dan,Having lived in the forests of Georgia and now the desert southwest I have extensive experience with those nasty little critters and even have been stung, so I'll pass along a few suggestions. :-)1.Put fine mesh screening on the vent tubes for your plumbing that stick out of your roof. They can come down thru those and into your sinks, tubs and showers. Also put the screening on any outside vents from bathroom fans.2.Keep the drains in your sinks and tubs closed when not in use.3.Have the outside of your house and inside of your garage sprayed by an exterminator every month.4.And finally, keep an aerosol spray can of clear lacquer handy for use in the garage and outdoors. One shot of the quick drying lacquer and you'll see their nasty little tail twitch once or twice then the lacquer dries and they are stiff as a board and dead as a door nail and they make nice gifts to give on special occations. :-lol :-lol :-lolOne side note about the sting of the domestic :-) scorpion. If you are NOT allergic to bee stings then the most that you'll get from a scorpion sting is some redness around the sting, some swelling and numbness. This information came from the Atlanta Poison Control Center after I was stung in the face while in bed. (That will wake you up in a hurry):-(Regards,Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilotP.S. Would you like to hear what I know about the Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spiders? :-)

My father-in-law had the pleasure of being bitten by a brown recluse while living in Prescott. (He now lives in Arkansas - no biting critters there!:-lol) Some of the nastiest, ugliest insect damage I've ever seen. It's still bothering him a little 10 years later.

I know ALL I need to know about 'em....... STAY AWAY! Nasty little buggers and they're found all over out here, especially in the nice dark corners of one's house. Ugh... :-erks-Lindy

Ahh Dan:I am not a big fan of using a minor caliber on a scorpion. I reserve minor powers for NATO peacekeeping actions. As to scorpions, I have not seen one inside Casa Doc this year. But I am sure as the sunrise they lurk outside. I have seen many Horned Toads and Ghecko lizards lately (and so has Brother Maynard, who for some reason considers them great sport).I have been using another weapon on scorpions and creatures of similar ilk-eight legged, six legged et al. And one clearly within my own particular idiom. You might even consider it the exact opposite of zinging a Super Vel 110 gr. at the beastie.My method also provides the enjoyment of a retaliatory strike againts the enemy. It is the equivalent of deploying a tactical nuclear device. It is as certain as the seasons. It will cause ALL of the exoskeletal class ##### to cease and desist. Unlike using a minor caliber, it will not harm the panelling or crockery. And it's quieter than a Sionics tube on the end of your Beretta. Quite a bit more deployable in tight environments.My weapon of choice does not rouse the ire of She Who Must Be Obeyed, Greenpeace, or the Brady Bunch. Plus, in it's deployment, there is quite a bit of humor, and even physical challenge to be had.My weapons system also can be deployed in close quarters to Brother Maynard. In fact, one can, for that extra measure of eradication, use Brother Maynard to deploy the weapon (and not contravene any of those Geneva Conventions that sometimes hinder one's efforts at correcting a neighbor's actions).By this time, dear reader, you should be panting at the bit to hear my solution (totally lead free and environmentally benign too).I use diatomacious earth. You can deploy it as a sort of benign Maginot Line around the building perimiter. You can bombard the beasties on sight with a well aimed dusting deployed in either slow pitch (36 inch arc please), or Le May style-direct overhead with a simulated carpet bomb release. The long deceased diatoms posess sharp edges that cut deeply into the insect's exoskeleton. Causing them to lose bodily fluids. Thus causing them to join the choir eternal.I know, it is not as fast as hitting them with a 9 Mike. But think of the joy involved in doing it my way. The stuff works even whilst you sleep. You do not have to be ever vigilent like the National Guard. The bugs cross your perimeter, they get the powder upon them, they can not remove it, they die. Your household pet eats it. It passes through him, those flying things that feast on what he leaves behind die. How wonderful.And it works on Palmetto bugs too. Or roaches. I have not seen a roach around Casa Doc in years. And they were so much fun to bomb as they skittered across the north porch.And think of it this way: Wiping out the Enemy with the White Cliffs of Dover.Doc Bryant :-bang

It's a good dern thing Alli doesn't read this place (I pass on any good stuff). She would be sleeping in Big Blue during our visit.........:-grnmdPork

Damn, and I thought you were going to advocate lighter fluid; my weapon of choice! Makes the "one who must be obeyed" a bit twitchy, but sister Murph enjoys it no end! Doesn't do much good to the paint work, but hey, there be priorities, right? :-lol

Tom:I have never used lighter fluid. We don't get too many of these nasties about. And now that I have noted an influx of lizards, I have not seen a one for me to practice bug dusting. Lighter fluid might be fun, but I have to consider the building. Now after I replace the wood siding with steel, that might be another matter.I have some close proximity fireworks left over. That might be a fitting use for them.Doc Bryant