Sign in to follow this  
Guest JamesJ

Can I run it with my setup?

I have an AMD900 Cpu with Geforce3 64 MB video card. Can I run PP99 with this? I took it out and threw it in a CP junk box a couple of years ago because of poor video and rectangular clouds. I got the idea it didn't recognize my video card at that time, an earlier Gforce 32mb. Enjoyed the aircraft, however..JamesJ

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I tried it, no good..still have rectangular clouds, under options, graphics and 3d acceleration are whited out. Anyone have any suggestions? I wouldn't mind using an older video card if I can have both physically installed at once. Anyone know how to do this? JamesJ

James, it should run but to get the nice hardware 3D graphics, it will require a Glide compatible card, which the GeForce is not. None of NVidia's chips are. It will take a version of Voodoo or Banshee. I don't think the latter are still around.

The program will run, but as Scott mentioned, you won't get the pretty 3D effects and great clouds without a card that supports the Glide API. You MIGHT be able to find an older Voodoo 1 or 2 addon card on the net or eBay or someplace. That should work just fine in tandem with your GEForce card. -Lindy :-wave

Scott:I bought a Voodoo 5500 a few months ago. They are around, you just have to look.Doc Bryant

James,Have you tryed a Glide Wrapper ? I used to use one a few years ago when I had my Matrox G200.For those that don't know, a Glide Wrapper is a small Dynamic Link library (DLL) that traps 3dfx Glide API commands and converts them into Direct 3D commands.There are still quite a few available, with quite recent updates too. I intend to try one on my Geforce2 GTS when I have time.Look on www.voodoofiles.com and search for 'glide wrapper'.RegardsChris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

James,Like the others here have said, you need a graphics card that supports Glide to get anything other than those rectangular clouds. But there are a number of ways to do this.If I were you, I'd get a PCI version of a Voodoo card. The AGP versions are a bit more available, but you'd have to remove your GeForce card to be able to use it. Though I've never done it, I understand that you can have two video cards in your system... an AGP and a PCI... and select which one you want to use in the application you're running.So if you choose to add a PCI card, these are your basic choices: A Voodoo 5, probably the best bet, but getting hard to find. I saw no PCI versions listed on Pricewatch, but they do list AGP versions. There are some PCI V5's on eBay.A Voodoo 3 or 4 card... quite a few V3's on eBay, and quite affordable, as no one really wants them anymore. I didn't check for V4's... I'm not even sure they exist. ;-)A Voodoo 1 or 2 card... probably quite hard to find now, and the least-desirable choice. These were add-on cards, not self-standing graphics cards so they *had* to be used with a different primary card, whether AGP or PCI. And due to on-board memory limitations, I think the V1 card limits you to 640*480 max resolution. Maybe even the V2 limits you, I forget. In my old system I used a pair of Voodoo 2 cards in what's known as SLI, Scan Line Interleave, as an add-on to an ancient Matrox Millenium primary card, which gave me 800*600. That took up three PCI slots, which was ultimately a pain. And that method of 3D graphics hardware acceleration often didn't work. The Millenium had *no* usable form of hardware acceleration by itself.An AGP version of the Voodoo 5 is an option, but I'd have to advise against it. That's what I have in my current system, and while it works very well in some sims... Flight Unlimited 3 shines with a V5 card, and ProPilot has to have it... it just doesn't work with a lot of the newer stuff. I'm trying to get it to work with Trainz, and I'm having no luck at all. There is little to no support for the Voodoo cards anymore, sad to say. They don't even work with Windows XP, no drivers available.If I were you, I'd look for a PCI version of the V5 or V3, or maybe even a V4, if they truly exist. ;-)Good luck! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif~Bob~http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif

The Voodoo 5 is still available at www.pricewatch.com from more than one vendor. It will replace your Geforce and do everything quite nicely. Hardware is faster than a wrapper .dll and you will get good frame rates. I bought one a while back to replace my old Banshee just for more video ram to run other sims in higher resolution. It works like a charm with PP99 as always!Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>Scott: >>I bought a Voodoo 5500 a few months ago. They are around, >you just have to look. Yes, that is true, but I was referring to the Banshee cards not still being around. :-)

Oops. Missed the latter former thing. Gotta wash the glasses.Doc Bryant

>Oops. Missed the latter former thing. Gotta wash the glasses. >Whenever I have trouble reading I wash the glasses too but it never seems to help.You were referring to wine glasses weren't you???Dan

Jerry is right, hardware is indeed faster than a Glide Wrapper, because the wrapper is an extra layer of emulation being performed by the CPU (not the video card).It might be worth a try with a wrapper though, as at least you would see the stark difference between accelerated and software rendering. This might spur you on to buy a Voodoo 5...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)