Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Lunch with Tall Pilot

Yesterday's plans came together in Knoxville in a little deli near the University of Tennessee. Ed Weber and I had a chance to talk aviation, GPS, and share a meal. He liked my Garmin GPS III Pilot.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jerry,That must have been fun. Still waiting for you to come my way......Meekal

Meekal,My trips to Boston are always non-stops ATL to BOS with returns via BOS-CVG. My next trip overland to DC will be with advance notice for you.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN. (In Boston today.)

You 2 better have been nice to me...........My ears are still ringing.........:-rollPork

Tall and Mrs Tall are back in the land of sunshine and LOW humidity after 2 1/2 weeks of constant perspiration and thunderstorms in the mid south (Memphis and Knoxville) and Boston.I enjoyed having lunch with Jerry who drove down to Knoxville to meet me. Speaking of driving, Jerry has more navigational capability in his car than I do in Big Red. He has his GPS tied into his lap top which tells him not only where he is but where he's been, where he's going and for all I know who he's with. :-) I've got to get me one of those new fangeled GPS thing-a-ma-bobs. :-lol :-lolNext it's over to Prescott,AZ next month to meet up with the Porkster and his daughter and Dan Pursel.Yall take care now - hear.Cap'n Tall

Glad to have ya back, Cap'n Tall (and you too, Mrs. Cap'n Tall) ;-) I'll be meeting up with the Porkster myself in a few days. I'll give him (and his daughter) your regards.I'll be driving to PA from VA, and I sure could use one of those GPS thingies, myself. :-hah As it is, I'll have to settle for maps and written directions, and a cell phone if I get lost. :-lol -Lindy :-wave

Hi Lindy,Glad to be back. :-)Don't know if you heard about the blast at a research lab of MIT in Cambridge, Mass. We were taking a walking tour of Harvard with our granddaughter when it happened just a little over a mile away. We didn't hear the blast but a lot of sirens and News helicopters flying overhead.Have fun with Pork and Alli.Cap'n Tall

The map program was Street Atlas USA version 9 running on my laptop computer. The Garmin GPS 3 was connected to the serial port of the laptop and providing position information to SA version 9 which gave a street-level display of my location when I had time for a quick trip around the block with Cap'n Tall.Street Atlas USA does route planning from start to stop and any via's you want to put in along the way. When the GPS is connected, it will announce via voice, one minute before any turns that have to be made. The intended route is highlighted on the map and is easy to follow visually as well.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Nice, Jerry, but I always thought the second purpose of a navigator was to buy you lunch at the O Club. That one sounds like it would have trouble reaching for it's wallet.Doc Bryant

:-lol :-smooch No, I don't mind. (Didn't know I was SO computer knowledgeable!) :-lol-Lindy :-wave