Sign in to follow this  

future version?

Why won't we see a future in propilot.. like propilot 2003 or 2004 etc? Is it because microsoft is to big of competition?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't think there is a really simple answer to that question. But, when the best laid plans of mice and men get set upon by packs of lawyers...you get the picture.Doc Bryant

If you look at this website [http://www.etc-interactive.com/] you will see that ProPilot 99/2000 was so good as a flight simulator that it was purchased by a true 3-axis flight simulator company and integrated with their machines. We were promised that the "NEW" revised version would some day be available for us PC sim enthusiasts without the 3-axis machinery controls. We are still waiting and it has been over a year...As far as Microsoft is concerned, they make games, not simulators in the way that ETC does. ETC has already provided military simulators of different types, and the GAT II is their second generation flight simulator which uses ProPilot at its core. I am going to Oshkosh next weekend and will be looking to see if ETC is there with a booth and I will ask the question for you and everyone else here on this forum -- IF they are there with an exhibit booth. They have been there in the past 2 years with the GAT II on display.According to this web page they are to be at Oshkosh this year again. [http://www.etcusa.com/ats/gat2/gat_shows.htm] Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

>If you look at this website >[http://www.etc-interactive.com/] you will see that ProPilot >99/2000 was so good as a flight simulator that it was >purchased by a true 3-axis flight simulator company and >integrated with their machines. I'd say it was more a case of being "cheap" than good. While the original Sierra Pro-Pilot & the followup PP99 contained advanced features not found in other sims (at the time); it has been far,far surpassed as time's gone by! IMO of course :)L.Adamson

Well of course it has been surpassed. Since the S folks sold the whole kit and kaboodle to the other guys, we have seen nothing in the way of output. I have not put MSFS on the big, or the other machines here at Casa Doc. I do have MS Train Sim. And frankly, if the graphics on Train Sim use the same technology/programming set that is used in the other current MS products, I just blew $300 on a GeForce4 Ti4600 card.I had a GeForce 2MX cheapie in here, and the frame rates were awful and the display stuttered. Now its smooth. And its awful looking.With better frame rates.And cheap? How much of the pricing structure do you figure was an effort to undercut MS? And thus gain market share and acceptance?Lets not confuse cheap with inexpensive. To me, in my opinion, PP98/99 offered excellent value for the money. The $49 I spent on MS Train sim, on the other hand, falls somewhat short.There were also other factors that one could use to either laud the PP series or lambast them. I do note that there seems to be some resurgence in the use of the Glide based graphics programming now in the gaming community. And frankly, gaming graphics are way advanced of anything I have seen in the flight sim world.But sad to say, PP in the market place seems deader than Foley's goat. But it lives on here at Casa Doc. And if it still resides on your machine, that's awfully nice too.Doc Bryant

Thank you, Doc. Undoubtedly, Larry is correct and ProPilot 99 has been left behind. No contention that Flight Simulator 2002 is the best flight simulation game so far.But, you know what? I do not have Flight Simulator 2002 on my computer. And I have removed Flight Simulator 2000 because of the frustrations and headaches it gave me. Only ProPilot on my machine at the moment.My hat's off to Larry and Geof and Lindy and even Ed who fly the best simulator. And I shall one day join them, count on it.Yet, I can never forget that it is only a game. No need to get all bothered about it.I also used to play Leisure Suit Larry (was that also Sierra?) but gave that up a long time ago.Best regards.Luis

Brother Luis:I guess I can not see why MSFS deserves the "best" honours. I will gladly grant it "Survivor". Or even "Only available current store bought, available to plug things in add on" flight approximator.Best my butt.Doc Bryant

Jerry,I certainly look foward to hearing from you after your visit. Hopefully there will be something positive to report.Regards,Meekal

We shall see...I will post here on Monday when I get back home. Until then...at least on this topic.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Well I would just to like see another flight simulator game be released in the future other then microsoft!

For another partial reason, go over to the Fly! forum, and read the "Status of Fly" thread at the top.Written by the developer of Fly, it basically states that within the software industry, there is about "zero" interest in developing new General Aviation software programs. The market was never huge, and apparently, negative press after the 9-11 attack did not help the situation. (People using flight sims to practice crashing planes into buildings, yadda, yadda.)For myself, PP and Fly will remain my sims of choice until the darn machines of the future will no longer run them! Hey - a reason NOT to spend money on upgrading!Happy flying, all.Ron A