Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

ATC in PP99...

Hello chaps,Does the ATC system in PP99 have known bugs ?I tried a few ATC flights last night (running in software mode on my laptop, doh!) and found for the most part that it was good, but eventually got vectored all over the place on approach when I was originally told I was cleared to land runway X (can't remember).I was actually on final at one point, then was taken on a wild goose chase even though there was no sign of AI traffic (have not seen any AI yet BTW).Anyone know ?Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Oh yes, we know. Others here are more adept at "working within the system" than I am. I believe that if you do the "right thing" by entering the downwind leg of the pattern at the normal 45-degree entry, you will get the desired results from ATC. I am sure we will have another forum member post more details here if I am incorrect.As far as seeing the AI aircraft, just stay on the runway in takeoff position and they will come by when you have them turned on in the program options. Make sure you check the block to SEE the AI aircraft.Once you have them in sight, try trailing one of them around the pattern.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Hello Chris,As Jerry says, we most definitely know!You always get a pattern even if IFR. And you must follow altitude and vector instructions to the letter, otherwise you get the scenic route until you comply.There is a cheeky Mooney that will cut in front of you on short final - watch out for him.Not a great ATC, but it was the only one when it came out. And I love the reporting points, although Center always has the same frequency.Best regards.Luis

Thanks guys,At least its not me going daft.I downloaded a util a few weeks ago to help in recording your own voice as the pilot's voice. Does anyone know if the new recordings that you make (using your own voice) are use ONLY for the pilot, or do they get used by controllers and other aircraft aswell ?I seem to recall similar (same?) wav file names being used by voices other than the pilot's.ThanksChris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Don't take the absence of AI traffic lightly. One day you will get the shock of your life with an Archer filling your front windscreen!Recently in MS2002, I had crossing traffic from the left, at my flight level. We missed each other by, what seemed like a whisker.I suppose if I was in the DF737, I would have seen it coming. But it only provides TA mode; no commands (RA's) for avoidance but the diamond does turn red in colour.Meekal

As an experiment, last night I sat on the apron at London Heathrow (PP99), for about an hour, and it got quite busy!Strangly though, if I sat too close to the runway, no traffic appeared at all, although I could here them on the radio.Once I moved away from the runway (my clearance was eventually revoked anyway) they started coming thick and fast. I saw that cheeky Mooney that was mentioned, and a number of other Cessna's and Archer's. I saw no heavy aircraft though, and no Citation jets. Are these part of AI too ?Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

I have followed the Citation Jet around the pattern on more than one occasion, at Fort Pierce, Florida and Chattanooga, TN (in PP99 of course!).Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry,Do you know what other aircraft are available in PP99 for AI traffic ? I have seen some heavy's as statics at various airfields, but have not seen any in the air yet.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris, none of the heavies are used for AI traffic. I believe there are only about 4 or 5 different aircraft used for AI and none of them are large jets.

>Hello chaps, >>... but eventually got vectored all over the place on >approach ...Hi Chris - Below are two tips I saved in '99. The first one contains several possible causes and their "reasons and solutions", which I call "Making ATC work part of the time", from an FAQ, I believe. I've never tried any of these suggestions, because the second tip worked for me the very first time I tried it. It's from Andre Vaillancourt, and although a little lengthy, it works, as saved by Pam Charles, a lady we've not heard from in over a year. Are you still out there, Pam ?Tip # 1 - From Apr 10, '99 :Why does ATC keep making me circle the airport? There are a number of factors why this may be occurring. Here are some reasons and solutions. 1. The ATC usually responds if you operate within the perameters it gives you but you have to follow directions specifically. In particular pay attention to is air speed. If your airspeed is too high you will be given a new vector and the result could be circling around the airport. Check the POH (Pilot's Operating Handbook) for the correct approach speed for your aircraft. 2. If you're on an IFR flight plan, you may be approaching the ILS at greater than a 30-degree angle. in order to intercept the ILS, ATC will vector you around the airport to make the ILS interception less than 30-degrees. 3. By default, the Flight Planner will mark a VOR as a fix. Some user's have reported that if the VOR is on or within approximately 20miles of the airport, it confused ATC. To see if this solution works for you, when initially planning the flight using the flight planner, zoom in on the destination airport. Turn off all features except show VOR's. Then, deselect the VOR fix if it's within 20 miles of the airport. To deselect the VOR, first click on the button that depict a flag on it's side, then click on the VOR. 4. Another possibility may be how ATC interacts with the Co-Pilot vs. you as the pilot when flying. This situation is complex, and iscurrently being researched by Geof Applegate and other Pro Pilot's to determine what causes this, and what, if anything, can be done to correct it. Stay Tuned! Mt. Ranier46deg.51'29.96"N 121deg.44'11.29"W* * * E N D of TIP #1 * * *Tip # 2 - Nov '99 :(Pam) Just for the record, I hope that Andre does not mind me re-posting this post as it is his and I really didn't ask him, but from the short time I have been lurking here, I get the impression that we are all a bit like family, so here goes... In Andre's own words: "...There is ONLY one efficient solution about the over vectoring. The solution is a number, a magic number 7!!! You know the lucky 7??? None of the previous solutions is the good one. Mine works 100% of the time no matter where you are and what you do, IFR flight plan, VFR single flight, etc. Here is the solution. First, be sure to be at 3000' from the ground (AGL) before tuning ATIS. The speed is not really important, but for all fast planes a speed between 140 to 160 is good. Second, tune your ATIS for active runway. Third, you will need your GPS settled on the NEAR option to display the airport distance with a range setting below 25 NM to be able to see your runway correctly. Fourth, follow the controller instruction until he will tell you to turn downwind leg. Here is the place that will change things! Place yourself on the downwind leg and check your plane on the GPS. When the airport is right in front of your left wing, the distance MUST BE 7NM from you. I repeat, not 6, not 8, EXACTLY 7 NM. If it's not the case, turn your plane by +/- 10 degrees from the downwind heading. The controller will not see the deviation and you will correct your path to be on the 7 NM once arrived on the base leg. So if you get 6 NM, turn right by 10 degrees, and if you get 8 NM, turn left by 10 degrees until arriving base leg. At this moment, the controller will see that you are on the perfect path and switch you to the tower 100% of the time. Often he will switch you before arriving base leg. That's so simple but took me SOOOOOO long to discover. By the way, note that the ATC is absolutely not as efficient in Europe than USA. I don't know why, but the results are perfect in the States and still quite good in Europe, too. Enjoy. Andre" See, it really does pay to be a pack-rat sometimes! Thanks again, Andre! BTW, upon thumbing through my old files, I apparently do NOT have any other solutions from of old from anyone else, so this must be IT! Good luck to all, and that includes me! Pam Charles * * * E N D of TIP #2 * * *Dave H.Fayetteville, GA