Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joe

Oshkosh Weather...

Being from the Deep South, the thought of going to a place to get a break from the July/August heat makesOshkosh, WI have even greater appeal.The only time I went, the weather couldn't have been better...Upper 50s at night and mid 70s in the day.I've been told that it can be hotter than blazes though. Looks like a good week for the fly-in this year if thereisn't too much rain or violent fronts passing through. My fingers are crossed for them.http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/...refs=&y=10&x=18 EDIT: What else....spelling!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sure, Joe, but you have those gulf coast breezes and the occasional hurricane to cool you off. Not to mention jaunts to nearby islands.Maybe you were lucky at Oshkosh. Unless it rains, it seems to be consistently hellish there at this time of the year.Now if Tom Poberezny would only hold the event in January!Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis,We probably did get lucky.One my friends that had been at a previous Oshkosh said it was miserably hot for them.But, fronts can slip through there this time of year and make things nice.We had stayed at one of the University of Wisconsin dorms there at Oshkosh. When we first got there, we were concerned that there was no AC. Turned out we were looking for blankets instead of worrying about the lack of an air conditioner. There were no blankets or heat! Chilly!Luis, I stayed away from those islands in the summer unless we were going to be sticking flounder at night. In the heat of the summer, even the fish are hiding out. The most glorious days out there are in the fall and winter.By the way, anyone recognize this once regular at Oshkosh?http://www.cableone.net/joesumralliii/BBullet.jpg

Well, today, it was intermittent light rain showers. And of course, with 100% humidity, any heat at all was a reminder of the Florida Gulf Coast.And that is the Brokaw Bullet from Leesburg, Florida. The landing gear are hydraulically operated. I photographed that one many years ago at the Leesburg airport, not many miles from my home in Summerfield, Florida. The plane was Navy Blue then. Is that BLACK paint or did the color just not come through correctly?And I will post a new topic on ETC Interactive and the new "ProPilot".Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Hi Jerry,You get the cookie! It was/is blue. The picture was taken at '77 Oshkosh and isn't what it once was.Have fun every chance you get!Joe

I took my pictures of the Brokaw Bullet around 1978 or 1979.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.