Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joe

Oshkosh ATC

I once read that when staffing the ATC positions at Oshkosh, they seek to have 1/3 of the controllers with two or more Oshkosh events under their belt, 1/3 with one year and 1/3 first timers.Once called the "Gypsy" controllers (I guess that's politically incorrect these days), the "Top Gun" controllers come together to get the job done.

[big]

[link:www.airventure.org/2001/gallery/gallery.html]Photo Gallery At This Years Event][/big][/centerI've never flown into Oshkosh but did fly into the Sun-n-Fun event. I must be a bit of an Adrenaline junkie because I have to say it was really fun flying.The instructions on short final were to keep the speed up on the ol' Tri-Pacer, over-fly the aircraft in front of me (a high-performance single), land on the second half of the runway, keep the taxi speed up and exit the runway as soon as possible.It was real slam dunk having to chop the power, ###### a hand full of flaps (speed brakes?) and get the thing on the ground on my part on the runway. The runway I landed on was normally a taxiway but used as a parallel runway for the event.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That sounds like my first flight into Sun-n-Fun when I was a student pilot in 1992. Land midfield, etc. I got there early after sunrise and was only one of EIGHT in the pattern. About an hour later, I counted TWENTY planes in that folded back pattern. On the north side of the field, they had a conga line going back and forth twice before lining up with the runway -- downwind, upwind, downwind adjacent to the runway, then turn final for landings.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.