Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

ETC Pro Trainer -- More...

Yesterday I had a chance to sit down with Glenn B. King of ETC. His job title is applications manager with aircrew training systems. He was familiar with the work of our guys at Dynamix who are still in Eugene, Oregon doing the software for ETC.Now, to make EVERYONE happy, they are doing different CD-ROM data bases to cover the entire world. Although I would not expect Antartica to be there. I asked if they would be on DVD, answer, I don't know. He did mention that you would be able to fly across the boundaries from the different data base CD-ROMs. This prompted me to ask if all the CD-ROMs could be loaded onto a BIG hard drive, answer: I don't know, but I can find out.My thoughts are that it should be possible, but we will need someone from Dynamix/ETC to affirm or deny these possibilities. Since there are no JETS in Pro Trainer, flying the Atlantic is probably not the thing to do. BUT, the map of Canada will be covered with airports ALL OVER the country, all of them.And yes OZ and New Zealand will have a CD-ROM all their own. I asked if ALL the CD-ROMs will have the terrain details as the US and Western Europe, answer: YES!!!As for the GAT II, I had a chance to watch it in use, but did not fly it myself as there were many others using it.It is the big box you have seen on the web site with the big flat screen computer monitor in front of the pilot, a stack of avionics boxes and an overlay panel with holes in it the size of the instruments on the screen. Next to these big holes were some pots to provide the functions of calibrating the gyros, setting altimeter data, OBS selector, etc. There was no keyboard in this flying box. It had servos on the base to turn the thing in yaw, pitch and bank to track the movements of the simulator plane. It took TWO computers to run this thing, networked together. The flight instructor uses one computer to setup flight location, altitude, weather, etc. The second computer was reading all the internal controls from the flying box: yoke, pedals, knobs and switches of all kinds, just like in a Cessna 172.Price tag for the whole shebang: $97,500. You will need a big room to put this thing in. And yes, you wear headphones in the box and the instructor is the ATC, etc.As for the stand-alone PC version we want, no pricing available from ETC at this time. That will come from the guys in Eugene, Oregon.Yes, the 3dFX clouds were still there! He was running a Voodoo 5500 on a Win 98 machine for both computers.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks, Jerry, for getting all that info. Did you get Mr. King's work number and e-mail ? Having a PP99 user make the trip to talk up-close and personal is great, and better than phone or e-mail -- and although I'm sure you enjoyed the trip (wished I could've made it, too), it seems like the hard way to get information. I'd suggest maybe just one or two of us be his contact person - I'm sure he doesn't need us all contacting him. 'Course, it'd be better if he does the initiating, unless we don't hear from him for a few months.BTW, does the whole shebang include the two PC's with included Voodoo's ?Thanks again, sir.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

I asked Glenn King of ETC to have someone at Eugene, Oregon (Dynamix location) to get on this forum to communicate with us. I told him how Joe Rush would keep us informed in the old PP99 days. He mentioned that he did not know of Joe, but did mention some other names that I had heard in the PP99 days. At that point, I told him that we would like to hear from anyone on the software design team. He did say that their web site would be updated as the release date draws near. I will ask Glenn if he would allow his email and phone number to be posted here, but since he is more into the FULL system of the simulator HARDWARE, he is probably not the guy we would want to be talking with, unless of course you want one of those BIG three-axis flight simulators in your basement for $97,500!A reminder that FALL 2002 runs from late September until late December, so who knows when that information and product release will take place.I did have a chance to look at my home field at Collegedale, TN (3M3) and noticed that it appeared visually to be the same geographical terrain data base used in PP99/2000 Alpha.I failed to ask if the price included the two computers, ethernet hub, etc.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry,Nice bit of news! Can't wait to hear more later on.You know, if they're still using the same era scenery as we are familiar with, they can feel free to substitute any or all of my old "improved" files. No charge, even!Ron A

Here are the three pictures that were on the Pro Trainer brochure. Pix 1a and 1b were on the front side of the sheet, and pix 2 was on the back side. They are attached below in sequence.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

I notice it says that DirectX is the API used for the video card. Even though they were using a Voodoo5 (which is great in D3D of course!) it looks as though we will no longer be limited to Glide based Voodoo cards.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

That was the plan when PP2000 was still in the works - two video card possibilities.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.