Sign in to follow this  
Jerry_K_Thorne

Oshkosh photos

Since I am at the RV7/9 decision point, I was looking at Van's Aircraft in their booth and in the parking area of the airport. Here are a couple of shots of interest.The first picture is lowest time RV-9A at OSH this year. It has 28.1 hours. He flew off the required 25 hours right before coming from Cincinnati to Oshkosh.The second picture shows the proud owner/builder William Duffy. He was kind enough to let me "try it on for size."Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Fine looking plane, Jerry! That checker board pattern...bet it took some time to mask off.I see he has some material in the top of the canopy. I know that sun can be hard to handle. Does he use that while in flight?One other thing....have you started your cleko collection yet? You know a man just can't have enough clekos. I don't know how to explain it but no matter how many you have, you'll find yourself needing a couple dozen more. It must just be a guy thing. :-hahhttp://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/templ...?pagename=clekoEDIT: And a rivit hole finder....every man needs a rivit hole finder. You're probably already familiar with it. It's really a trick little tool.http://www.ddaircraft.com/subcategory.cfm?...&Category=TOOLS

>http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/templ...?pagename=cleko >Hi Joe - I went to the cleko site. The title and subtitle on the home page (in different font and style, of course) : Cleko Lok's Temporary Sheet Metal Fasteners and CalmpsSorry - It's just funny the things people let squeak by. I realize somtimes it's on purpose - but most of the time it's the unintentional typos that are the most comical.BTW, in the latest issue of Sporty's Pilot Shop mag, July through Oct 2002, they have the "new" Cessna Sweepstakes page (latest drawing for 2002 was Jul 10, 2002), with a new drawing date of July 9, 2003. If you purchase anything between 5:00 p.m. EDT, July 3, 2002 and 5:00 p.m. EDT, July 2, 2003, you are automatically entered. So far so good. HOWEVER, no purchase is necessary, if you submit an entry form, and all entries must be received by 10:00 a.m. EDT, July 2, 2002. The year is also printed wrong on the insert ad.Of course, the Tonight Show usually has funnier examples.Dave H.

Sorry - It's just funny the things people let squeak by. I realize somtimes it's on purpose - but most of the time it's the unintentional typos that are the most comical.Dave,I'm not following what you are talking about. I went to the "Home" page also. Did they have something wrong on their site?

The checker board design is an applique (series of stickers). He had it designed by a graphics company. As for me, my plans for an aircraft just got put on hold - I was downsized today by the company. Now, no more trips to Boston to worry about.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry,I guess I should have known that graphic was a sticker.I've been involved in a number of re-paints and have mask off "N" numbers...it takes forever. We began ordering the numbers from a graphics company and never looked back.If your downsizing is what I think it is, I'm very sorry.Regards,Joe

Downsizing means I have another opportunity. I have time to breathe, and look for something I WANT to do, not HAVE to do.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Good attitude, Jerry! Give that man a cigar! (Life experience has a way of putting things in perspective sometimes.) Best wishes in that new opportunity!

Here are some extra shots from Oshkosh. I was considering whether to get a sliding canopy or one that tilts up for easy baggage area access. Here is a guy who has both.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Jerry:That is exactly the way to take it. As you say, take some time to goof around. Look around and do not take the first thing that pops up.I am slowly edging out of retirement to become more and more involved in this coffee importation and marketing firm. Today I actually went out and made a sales call. And of course, they bought!Downsizing was the best thing that happened to me. Well, second best. Hearing that the firm that downsized me cratered was even better.Doc Bryant :+

That's an interesting canopy!! But after having flown & rode in both "normal" models, I prefer the slider. Just a whole lot more air when taxiing around. As a matter a fact, it was the Van's blue RV6A at Oshkosh, that I demo'd; I became a believer in the slider..... it was HOT! As for luggage, both the seats "fall" forward, so it's not much of a problem anyway.In my own case, I've been working like crazy this summer which allows me to invest more in the RV6A. A few more instruments, transceiver, exaust pipes & a few misc. items. Hope to have it flying next year. The plane itself is nearly complete, with engine & prop mounted.RV6A, Lycoming 0360 AIA, Hartzell C/S prop, sliding canopy, steps on both sides, electric flaps, elec. aileron trim, elec. elevator trimStill need little items like a prop governor ($1200.00), & a few more avionics----- transponder, ELT, and antennas.L.Adamson

From that short list of goodies, I can see that I am going to have a long road to first flight.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.