Sign in to follow this  
Doc Bryant

Roll Call to follow.....

Hmmm, awfully quiet here.....My Italians have taken three weeks holiday,W has headed to the ranch,the lawn boy has finished summer sessions,one of my computer suppliers has shipped me the same incorrect product, twice.Is everyone on holiday or at least dialing back on the productivity?Doc Bryantspecializing in taking productivity to new lows....

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm here too. Although I've been working and learning to fly virtual helicopters..... both those activities take up lots of time. -Lindy :-rotor in training

Lindy:Oh my, running the gamut from virtual sailing to being a rotor head.There goes the neighborhood.Doc Bryant

I'm around. Finally got through selling my house and moving several miles down the road. I'd forgotton what a pleasure it is to deal with realtors, home inspectors, deadbeat home buyer wannabe's, and especially the local utilities for service transfers. I was ready to fax a letter bomb to our wonderful local phone company, but I figured the call wouldn't go through. :-lolThe buyer of our former domicile was a real pleasure to work with too. Since he wouldn't accept anything I had to say about the plumbing systems, I was on the verge of inviting him to conduct his own personal inspection of the septic tank. Heck, I would've even thrown in a mask and fins he could use.:-lolDan

With his own specially crafted diving weights? A couple of 70 lb. cinder blocks?I am going through similar steps with my Mother's house. Hearing what other houses on the street have sold for, even though they are not comparable, finding out we needed to replace some water supply lines due to calcification, all that sort of thing.Then the capper was an appraiser telling us the house was worth $178,00 when one across the street sold for $412,000 and one down the street for $390,000. It's now open season on appraisers. Anyone have any good recipes?Doc Bryant

You think it's quiet in your neck of the woods, Doc? I have been out of touch due to the usual black-outs. Just to make everything more interesting, the phone has been acting up for the last week and was just fixed now. To top it all off, my lovely dirt road in front of the house has been black-topped with asphalt - what is the point of living out in the country?What would life be without these small aggravations? At least, no hurricanes (yet!)Still, I call out "Present" at the roll.Best regards.Luis

"Here !"The good news is I still have a job.Corporate America must have common guidelines for when to announce layoffs, because the company I work for (which has a lot of offices world-wide) laid off (with fairly nice separation packages) 40 programmers on Tuesday (Aug 6). Coca-Cola laid off 140 IT personnel on Tuesday, also. Their possible guideline ? In 1945, Aug 6, the big bomb fell on Hiroshima. And, last year our company let go about 40 people overall here in ATL, on July 13, which was a FRIDAY. At this rate, we had better "beware the Ides of March", also.It's been a good run for several of the applications our company has - - almost 20 years in providing airline-related computer terminal services, using, in essence, the same software (with lots of modifications). I've been here 15.Actually, some of us remaining are starting to think those that were let off have received the better deal. We'll manage to do the same with less people, but last year they just trimmed the fat. This time they cut into the muscle as well. A few of our mainframe-only applications are going to be replaced in the next couple of years with some non-legacy multi-server versions. And, they'll most likely get someone else to maintain them, so the thinking here goes.Time to ensure the resumes are current, continue the modern-day computer language training already in progress, and to get some other irons in the fire. Hey - pursuing that professional drumming career in Nashville could be a possibility after all.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Doc,I'm checking in from Fort Worth. It's so darn hot, here, that it's getting to me. I think I'm getting that disease that my brother has. He calls it lazyitis. :)

Bill and Dave:I am so lazy I combined two responses in one.Today I was so lazy I:Did not pick up the check when having dinner with the police brass.Did not smoke the extra Punch Chateau L cigar I was given at lunch.Dave- your thinking is right on the mark. Get the resume out, dusted off, and in circulation. No awards are given these days for being the last guy on the sinking ship. When my company cratered last November, I tried to be the first out the door. That failed. They kept me around a bit longer. It was an exercise in uselessness. Although I did get to go "shopping" in the R & D parts bin more frequently than I did in the past. And I assisted future IT guys by formating every PC hard drive I could get my hands on in the last weeks.And it's hot in Midland too, Bill.Doc Bryant

Sorry I did not check in earlier, but I am on a layover enroute to my "old" job at QRF on Monday. This installment from the Jacksonville, Florida area.I guess my layoff from that Boston area company was really a blessing. The severance package will give me a good start on the airplane I want to build. I can literally buy the airframe on a pay-as-you-go basis on my Visa card and have it all paid off before it is finished for that matter. The newfound nest egg will be the reserved needed to populate the instrument panel and the engine compartment when the project reaches that level.Today is going to be casual with a movie and some shopping for a DVD player. The steak dinner last night with two Bloody Marys was a winner with good conversation overall.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.(on a dial-up connection)

Jerry:I guess I better get my butt in gear with the boat project. I don't know if I can have it afloat by the time you finish your home built. Maybe I can finish my '52 Dodge M-37 truck soon!Procrastination...one of the finer things in life if you can get around to it.Doc Bryant

>Procrastination...one of the finer things in life if you can >get around to it. Yes Doc, such a time honored traditional around this house myself.However, I do have a solution.Here are my 5 steps to ending procrastination:1.

The five step program for ending procrastination. Must have been lifted from Procastinators Anonymous.I can see it now....."Hi, my name is Doc B, and I have been a procrastinator for a zillion days.....Then again, I would probably not get around to attending the meetings because I was doing something else. In fact, I think I will put off doing laundry right now and take a nap.Doc Bryant

Sign in to follow this