Sign in to follow this  

Tools?

Hi,It's been a long time (2 years?) since I've been here. Job has kept me busy, got a team of developers to keep on the right track etc. Then there is the family, that'll keep you busy too. My oldest is starting 5th grade. Seems like yesterday they were in kindergarden...Anyway, I saw renewed interest in my mailbox generated from my old PP99 RET web page and I figured I'd check out good ole avsim PP99 forum and figure out why it was so.Part of the reason may be that an updated PP might be coming out from ETC. I wonder if it'll stay compatible with the current file formats.The reason I ask is all the work that has been done in the past might still be applicable.Some might remember me as I had created a few basic tools, including volutil, a program that split the big vol files in many and stuff like that.I was wondering if anybody had done any additional tools, planes, scenery etc? Anybody released a patch to get the flight.exe into 800x600 glide mode (on capable hardware)?In particular, we needed badly a mipmapping tool to create LOD bitmaps and to figure out the TED files.So, anybody can get me up to speed? Are Ron Aldefer, Fred Leduc, Bill Hinton etc still on the board?Ciao,Francois

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Very interesting you just happened to drop in, Francois -- I was just wondering if Volutil could be used to create a little color patch on the ground to represent a little town. No buildings or roads needed, just something to do pilotage and dead reckoning by. I've been using PP99 for a lot of my cross-country procedures training for the real PPL. I remember Volutil when it first came out, but I've just thought of using it the last couple of months.Whether or not I can use it for what I want, thanks for creating it. It really has aided in keeping PP99 alive and well -- Ron sure improved a few things with it.Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

Francois,You must be psychic! For two days now, I had been wondering whether to post something which might get your attention. I recently used Volutil to split the *.vol files and was wondering if you, Ron and Fred were still interested in enhancement activity.I am glad to have you check in. Let us know what is new at your site.

From what I saw at Oshkosh in the ETC booth, the scenery files are still the same. Higher video resolutions are supported as they were in PP2000 Alpha. Other video cards are supported as well as Glide as before. A Voodoo 5 was in the machine I saw running at the show.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

Volutil only extracts files. To actually improve on the ground representation requires modifying the TED files. This is quite hard to do right now but I'm hoping to at least come up with something to select the bmp associated with a tile. That way you would be able to improve on ground scenery.Buildings and roads require either setting up new model references in the TED files to point to DTS files, or expanding on current DTS files. This is hard because we only have a way to create DTS from 3D Studio files (3ds) and not the other way around...At any rate, as you get into it and you have some questions, let me know. I'll try to help.Francois

>Francois, >>I >recently used Volutil to split the *.vol files and was >wondering if you, Ron and Fred were still interested in >enhancement activity. I haven't heard from Ron or Fred in a long long time...>I am glad to have you check in. Let us know what is new at >your site. Nothing right now, but I'm hoping to get a few more tools up so that other people can create content.Francois

I noticed the directX support. Unfortunate they didn't go openGL instead. I would think it would have been easier to port from Glide, and it would have kept the Windows NT compatibility. I did all my tools for pp99 under NT and it works under all windows version from win95 to winxp, including the taxiway tool with openGL display.Francois>From what I saw at Oshkosh in the ETC booth, the scenery >files are still the same. Higher video resolutions are >supported as they were in PP2000 Alpha. Other video cards >are supported as well as Glide as before. A Voodoo 5 was in >the machine I saw running at the show. >>Jerry K. Thorne >East Ridge, TN.

Sign in to follow this