Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

Tonight's the Night - Again!!

Still got no response from Gigabyte's tech support. IT SUCKS!!! See http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID22/106.htmlHowever, posted my problems over at the gigabyte motherboard forum at amdmb.com and got a response from a guy call wibber. He has hacked the BIOS on my motherboard and given me a special version with all the hidden features enabled (including the 'Assign IRQ for PCI VGA' and the ability to disable that stupid god damn ACPI). What a guy!! Support like this is what you get by asking questions in the right place. I am eternally grateful for this Mr. Wibber. See the thread at http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147647I flashed the new BIOS and everything is working OK as before. Now all I need to do is to reflash my Voodoo 5 and try again one more time to get this thing working in my new system. Fingers crossed.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Be sure to let us know how it goes and how you like PP99 once you get it going. Good luck.-Lindy :-beerchug

>He has hacked the BIOS on my motherboard and given me a special version with all the hidden features enabled << skip, skip >>>I flashed the new BIOS and everything is working OK as before. Now all I need to do is to reflash my Voodoo 5 Hi Chris,All I can say is WHOOOAAHHH !!!!! :-beerchugI was hyper-ventilating when I had to flash my motherboard BIOS with an OEM update to resurrect it.Not even in the same galaxy with using a hacked version from some guy named "Wibber".Dan

Chris, it sounds like your disdain for AGP (which we've always seen displayed in your signature box) and/or anything related to such has soared to new heights.Dave H.

>I was hyper-ventilating when I had to flash my motherboard >BIOS with an OEM update to resurrect it. >Not even in the same galaxy with using a hacked version from >some guy named "Wibber". >Dan I hear tunes of Star Trek playing in my head."To boldly go where no man has gone before" :-lol

David,My distain for AGP has come from people's insistance (particularly from the MSFS fraternity) to turn up every available slider and turn on every available check box in their sim, and then complain that performance and frame rate is crap.I got so sick of giving out advice suggesting they should avoid doing this that I don't bother any more. Of particular annoyance to me was the fact that people were using 32mb AGP graphics cards, and then trying to run them at 1600x1200x32 bit with high detial textures and autogen and full clouds and full mesh etc etc and wondered why they had poor performance. This was likely due to the AGP bus being swamped by massive texture transfers - so my advice was to try and keep as much in local video memory as possible, and to avoid AGP texturing, hence my logo...PS. Still haven't had chance to try the Voodoo 5 again since flashing with the new BIOS...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris,I presume from your post that the computer at least works with the "new" BIOS from "Wibber"...and that you just need to get the Voodoo 5 ready "again".Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

No argument from me, Chris.I don't have any PC's with AGP video cards (nor AGP slots), nor have I used any PC that has an AGP video card, so I haven't needed to concentrate on this area. Still, of what I "have" read, it seems like there has been no real impressive benefit using AGP. In fact, wasn't there a Voodoo AGP card that wasn't 100% pure AGP ? Which in turn led to various problems, incompatiblity issues, etc ?A lot of the techno items being sold, although being different technologies, are not always significant improvements, or at least not as much as the PR would have us believe.For years, one of the most quoted phrases in radio/stereo/amp advertisements was "FET Front End" -- now just how many people reading that knew what FET stood for ? Or, what "Front End" meant ? The same with AGP -- "Hey look ! A new term on a video card box! It must be something better than PCI!"Case in point - My CH Virtual Pilot Pro Yoke and Pedals work just fine with my ISA Soundblaster 16 15-pin game port, but did not with a "Direct-X Compatible PCI Sound Card" (w/15-pin game port) -- the game port was too slow. My newly purchased (year and a half ago) Dale Ernhardt Jr Steering Wheel/Pedals worked (game port connector), which was why I bought the PCI card, because they would NOT work with the ISA card. I took out the Sound PCI card (so much for "that" improved piece of technology), reinstalled the ISA one, upgraded to Win98 SE and and bought a USB Steering Wheel/Pedal set. Both the yoke/pedals and steering wheel/pedals are hooked up at the same time - they work great.USB - now "there's" a feature that "has" been a blessing.Anyone want a set of Dale Ernhardt Jr V3 Steering Wheel/Pedals (game port connector) ? You must have a Direct-X Compatible PCI Sound Card (w/15-pin game port).Dave H.Fayetteville, GA

...correct.It more than just works though, as I now have access to some 20 or so additional options (such as memory timimg etc) which were invisable before....Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

David,Clever marketing was indeed the case when AGP was first introduced, and there were many a hot topic discussing the merits or otherwise of AGP on the internet a few years ago.Video cards now commonly use DDR memory (as do PC systems main memory) running far faster than AGP transfers, even though AGP transfer rates have also increased substantially (we are now at AGP 4x (266 Mhz) in most cases, and a few AGP 8x (533 Mhz I think) motherboards are now available.Things have moved on since the introduction of AGP, but the same principles still apply. Ask too much of it and the system will suffer.We now also see some video cards with 128mb of memory, avoiding the need to use AGP texturing on the current round of sims and games, but that will change again in a year or so I should think....Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

No, I haven't tried again yet. I'm not at home right now (I work around the world from time to time, I'm in Spain at the moment, in Amsterdam next week, then back to the UK (my home :)), then off to Seattle again....)...so the time I have to get this working is limited...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

I can relate to that. I was in Portugal three times this year. But now my travels are again limited to the USA and Canada.Jerry K. ThorneEast Ridge, TN.

At least I just got a new Dell Latitude notebook (PIII 1.13Ghz, 30GB HDD, 32mb Geforce2Go Video Card, 256mb etc). Vast improvement over the older one (a PIII 600 Mhz with an 8mb ATI card)....now I can sim on the road....Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)